- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Dental Age and Skeletal Maturity in Korean Children with Skeletal Malocclusion
한국 어린이의 골격적 부정교합에 따른 골 성숙도와 치아의 성숙도 비교
- Kim, Jeeyoun (Department of Pedodontics, Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital) ;
- Oh, Sohee (Department of Pedodontics, Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital)
- Received : 2014.04.24
- Accepted : 2014.08.07
- Published : 2014.08.31
The purpose of this study was to compare skeletal maturity index and dental developmental stages based on skeletal malocclusion. A total of 192 patients (89 male and 103 female) between 6 to 14 years old were selected for this study and underwent cephalograms, panorama radiographs, and hand-wrist radiographs. Any syndromic cases were excluded. Selected clinical parameters were dichotomised for statistical analysis. Chi-square, logistic regression analysis, and independent t-tests were used for the statistical evaluation. Canine, first molar, and second molar calcification were significantly associated with skeletal maturity in the logistic regression model (p < 0.05). In addition, patients who had higher skeletal maturity index were 11.43 times more likely to be female than those who had lower skeletal maturity index (p < 0.001). The patients with skeletal class II malocclusion displayed significantly higher dental developmental stage in canines, first premolars, first molars, and second molars than the patients with class III malocclusion (p < 0.05). The dental developmental stage of the patients was significantly associated with skeletal maturity. In addition, there was a significant difference between class II and class III malocclusion with some types of tooth calcification.
- Sachan K, Sharma VP, Tandon P : A correlative study of dental developmental stage and skeletal maturation. Indian J Dent Res, 22:882, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.94698
- Bjork A : Timing of interceptive orthodontic measures based on stages of maturation. Trans Eur Orthod Soc, 48:61-74, 1972.
- Tanner JM, Whitehouse RH : Clinical longitudinal standards for height, weight, height velocity, weight velocity, and stages of puberty. Arch Dis Child, 51:170-179, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.51.3.170
- Alkhala HA, Wongb RWK, Rabiec ABM : Correlation between chronological age, cervical vertebral maturation and fishman’s skeletal maturity indicators in southern Chinese. Angle Orthod, 78:591-6, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2319/0003-3219(2008)078[0591:CBCACV]2.0.CO;2
- Demirjian A, Goldstein H, Tanner JM : A new system of dental developmental stage assessment. Hum Biol, 45:211-227, 1973.
- Chertkow S : Tooth mineralization as an indicator of the pubertal growth spurt. Am J Orthod, 77:79-91, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(80)90226-2
- Cha DS, Cha KS : A study on the comparisons between dental calcification and skeletal maturity. Korea J Orthod, 24:841-849, 1994.
- Anderson DL, Popovich F : Association of relatively delayed emergence of mandibular molars with molar reduction and position. Am J Phys Anthropol, 54:369-76, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.1330540310
- Janson GRP, Martins DR, Tavano O, Dainesi E : Dentalmaturation in subjects with extreme vertical facial types. Eur J Orhod, 20:73-78, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/20.1.73
- Nanda SK : Patterns of vertical growth in the face. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop, 93:103-116, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-5406(88)90287-9
- Fishman LS : Radiographic evaluation of skeletal maturation. A clinical oriented method based on hand wrist films. Angle Orthod, 57:178-193, 1987.
- Hagg U, Taranger J : Maturation indicators and the pubertal growth spurt. Am J Orhod, 82:299-309, 1982.
- Suma G, Rao BB, Goel S, et al. : Radiographic correlation of dental and skeletal age: Third molar, an age indicator. J Forensic Dent Sci, \30007.:14-18, 2001.
- Krailassiri S, Anuwongnukroh N, Dechkunakorn S : Relationships between dental calcification stages and skeletal maturity indicators in Thai individuals. Angle Orthod, 72:155-166, 2002.
- Roqol AD, Roemmich JN, Clark PA : Growth at puberty. J Adolesc Health, 31:192200, 2002.
- Brin I, Camasuvi S, Dali N, Aizenbud D : Comparison of second molar eruption patterns in patients with skeletal class II and skeletal class I malocclusion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop, 130:746-751, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.02.027
- Dorotheou D, Gkantidis N, Karamolegkou M, et al. : Tooth eruption: altered gene expression in the dental follicle of patients with cleidocranial dysplasia. Orthod Craniofac Res, 16:20-27, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/ocr.12000
- Haruki T, Kanomi R, Shimono T : The differences in the chronology and calcification of second molars between angle class III and class II occlusions in Japanese children. ASDC J Dent Child, 64:400-404, 1997.