- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Plane of Nutrition on Physicochemical Characteristics and Sensory Quality Traits of the Muscle in Finishing Pigs
- Lee, Chai Hyun ;
- Jung, Dae-Yun ;
- Choi, Jung Seok ;
- Jin, Sang-Keun ;
- Lee, Chul Young
- Received : 2014.05.07
- Accepted : 2014.07.28
- Published : 2014.08.31
This study was performed to examine the feasibility of using the low plane of nutrition (LPN) as a means of improving the meat quality of crossbred finishing pigs with a medium weight gain potential. Twenty-four barrows and 24 gilts weighing approximately 48 kg were placed on LPN [a finisher (2.86 Mcal ME/kg and 0.67% lysine) for 91 d] or on a high plane of nutrition [HPN; a commercial grower for 38 d and a finisher (3.35 Mcal ME/kg and 0.9% lysine) for 46 d]. Five barrows and five gilts per treatment weighing approximately 125 kg were slaughtered after the indicated days on the respective diets, followed by physicochemical analysis and sensory evaluation on their muscles. Overall average daily gain was 12.6% less in the LPN group vs. the HPN group (p<0.05). The redness (
finishing pig;plane of nutrition;physicochemical characteristics;meat quality;sensory evaluation
- CIE (1986) Colorimetry. 2nd ed. CIE Publication No. 15.2, Commision Internationale de l'Eclairage, Vienna.
- AOAC (2007) Official methods of analysis. 18th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C.
- Bee, G., Biolley, C., Guex, G., Herzog, W., Lonergan, S. M., and Huff-Lonergan, E. (2006) Effects of available dietary carbohydrate and preslaughter treatment on glycolytic potential, protein degradation, and quality traits of pig muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 84, 191-203.
- Bredahl, L., Grunert, K. G., and Fertin, C. (1998) Relating consumer perceptions of pork quality to physical product characteristics. Food Qual. Prefer. 9, 273-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(98)00007-X
- Ellis, M., Webb, A. J., Avery, P. J., and Brown, I. (1996) The influence of terminal sire genotype, sex, slaughter weight, feeding regime and slaughter-house on growth performance and carcass and meat quality in pigs and on the organoleptic properties of fresh pork. Anim. Sci. 62, 521-530. https://doi.org/10.1017/S135772980001506X
- Clausen, I. and Ovesen, L. (2001) Proximate contents, losses and gains of fat, protein and water comparing raw, hospitaland household-cooked pork cuts. J. Food Compost. Anal. 14, 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfca.2001.0988
- Correa, J. A., Faucitano, L., Laforest, J. P., Rivest, J., Marcoux, M., and Gariepy, C. (2006) Effects of slaughter weight on carcass composition and meat quality in pigs of two different growth rates. Meat Sci. 72, 91-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.06.006
- de Lange, C. F. M., Birkett, S. H., and Morel, P. C. H. (2001) Protein, fat, and bone tissue growth in swine. In: Swine nutrition. 2nd ed. Lewis, A. J. and Southern, L. L. (eds), CRC Press, New York, pp. 65-82.
- Folch, J., Lees, M., and Sloane-Stanley, G. H. S. (1957) A simple method for the- isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-500.
- Ha, D. M., Kim, G. D., Han, J. C., Jeong, J. Y., Park, M. J., Park, B. C., Joo, S. T., and Lee, C. Y. (2010) Effects of dietary energy level on growth efficiency and carcass quality traits of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 52, 191-198. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.3.191
- Ha, D. M., Park, B. C., Park, M. J., Song, Y. M., Jin, S. K., Park, J. H., and Lee, C. Y. (2012) Effects of plane of nutrition on growth performance and meat quality traits in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 54, 449-454. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.6.449
- Huff-Lonergan, E., Lonergan, S. M., and Beerman, D. H. (2003) Animal growth and meat quality. In: Biology of growth of domestic animals. Scanes, C. G. (ed). Iowa State Press, Ames, IA, USA, pp. 220-232.
- Kang, H. S., Seo, K. S., Kim, K. T., and Nam, K. C. (2011) Comparison of pork quality characteristics of different parts from domesticated pig species. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 31, 921-927. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.6.921
- Jeong, J. Y., Park, B. C., Ha, D. M., Park, M. J., Joo, S. T., and Lee, C. Y. (2010) Effects of increasing slaughter weight on production efficiency and carcass quality of finishing gilts and barrows. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 30, 206-215. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.206
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Hur, S. J., Hah, K. H., and Kim, B. W. (2004) Effects of feeding period on carcass and objective meat quality in crossbred longissimus muscle. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 46, 811-820. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.5.811
- Judge M. D., Aberle, E. D., Forrest, J. C., Hedrick, B. H., and Merkel, R. A. (1989) Meat grading and evaluation. In: Principles of meat science. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, IA, USA, pp. 311-333.
- KPPA (2014) Korea Pork Producers Association. Statistics.
- Lee, C. Y., Kim, M. H., Ha, D. M., Park, J. W., Oh, G. Y., Lee, J. R., Ha, Y. J., and Pak, B. C. (2007) Effects of the energy level of the finisher diet on growth efficiency and carcass traits of 'high'-market weight pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49, 471-480. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.471
- Lee, C. Y., Kwon, O. C., Ha, D. M., Shin, H. W., Lee, J. R., Ha, Y. J., Lee, J. H., Ha, S. H., Kim, W. K., Kim, K. W., and Kim, D. H. (2006) Growth efficiency, carcass quality characteristics and profitability of finishing pigs slaughtered at 130 vs. 110 kg. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 48, 493-502. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.4.493
- Lee, C. Y., Lee, H. P., Jeong, J. H., Baik, K. H., Jin, S. K., Lee, J. H., and Sohn, S. H. (2002) Effects of restricted feeding, low-energy diet, and implantation of trenbolone acetate plus estradiol on growth, carcass traits, and circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3 in finishing barrows. J. Anim. Sci. 80, 84-93.
- NRC (2012) Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 11th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- MAFRA (2014) Grading standards for livestock products (in Korean). Notification No. 2014-4 of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Republic of Korea.
- Meilgaard, M., Civille, G. V., and Carr, B. T. (1991). Sensory evaluation techniques. 3rd ed. CRC Press, New York, USA, pp. 211-222.
- MFAS (2013) Definition of the primal cuts and grades of the carcasses of farm animals (in Korean). Notification No. 2013-153 of the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, Republic of Korea.
- NSNG (2010) National swine nutrition guide. U.S. Pork Center of Excellence (USPCE), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA.
- Park, B. C. (2011) Opinions regarding the increase of pig slaughter weight. 10th Symposium of the Korean Pig Industry Research Society "Strategies for Increasing Pork Supply through an Increase of the Market Weight," Jul. 13, 2011, Proceedings pp. 81-82.
- Park, B. C. and Lee, C. Y. (2011) Feasibility of increasing the slaughter weight of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 53, 211-222. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.3.211
- Park, G. B. (2004). Meat science. Sun Jin Mun Hwa Sa, sdoul, Korea, pp. 185-224.
- Park, B. C., Ha, D. M., Park, M. J., Jin, S. K., Park J. H., and Lee, C. Y. (2013a) Effects of the decreased carcass grade of finishing pigs due to increasing market weight on carcass quality traits and physicochemical and sensory quality characteristics of the loin and belly. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 55, 203-210. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.3.203
- Park, M. J., Ha, D. M., Shin, H. W., Lee, S. H., Kim, W. K., Ha, S. H., Yang, H. S., Jeong, J. Y., Joo, S. T., and Lee, C. Y. (2007) Growth efficiency, carcass quality characteristics and profitability of 'high'-market weight pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49, 459-470. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.459
- Pettigrew, J. E. and Esnaola, M. A. (2001) Swine nutrition and pork quality: a review. J. Anim. Sci. 79(E. Suppl.), E316-E342.
- Park, M. J., Jeong, J. Y., Ha, D. M., Han, J. C., Sim, T. G., Park, B. C., Park, G. B., Joo, S. T., and Lee, C. Y. (2009a) Effects of dietary energy level and slaughter weight on growth performance and grades and quality traits of the carcass in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 51, 143-154. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.2.143
- Park, M. J., Jeong, J. Y., Ha, D. M., Park, J. W., Sim T. G., Yang, H. S., Lee, C. Y., Joo, S. T., and Pak, B. C. (2009b) Relationships of the slaughter weight to growth performance and meat quality traits in finishing pigs fed a low-energy diet. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 51, 135-142. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.2.135
- Park, M. J., Park, B. C., Ha, D. M., Kim, J. B., Jang, K. S., Lee, D. H., Kim, G. T., Jin, S. K., and Lee, C. Y. (2013b) Effects of increasing market weight of finishing pigs on backfat thickness, incidence of the 'caky-fatty' belly, carcass grade, and carcass quality traits. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 55, 195-202. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.3.195
- SAS (2008) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schinckel, A. P., Einstein, M. E., Jungst, S., Matthews, J. O., Fields, B., Booher, C., Dreadin, T., Fralick, C., Tabor, S., Sosnicki, A., Wilson, E., and Boyd, R. D. (2012) The impact of feeding diets of high or low energy concentration on carcass measurements and weight of primal and subprimal lean cuts. Asian-Austral. J. Anim. Sci. 25, 531-540. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11215
- Sonesson, A. K., de Greef, K. H., and Meuwissen, T. H. E. (1998) Genetic parameters and trends of meat quality, carcass composition and performance traits in two selected lines of large white pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 57, 23-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(98)00163-8
- Sutton, D. S., Ellis, M., Lan, Y., McKeith, F. K., and Wilson, E. R. (1997) Influence of slaughter weight and stress gene genotype on the water-holding capacity and protein gel characteristics of three porcine muscles. Meat Sci. 46, 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00006-5
- van Wijk, H. J., Arts, D. J. G., Matthews, J. O., Webster, M., Ducro, B. J., and Knol, E. F. (2005) Genetic parameters for carcass composition and pork quality estimated in a commercial production chain. J. Anim. Sci. 83, 324-333.
- Warner, R. D., Kauffman, R. G., and Greaser, M. L. (1997) Muscle protein changes post mortem in relation to pork quality traits. Meat Sci. 45, 339-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00116-7
- Assessment of growth performance and meat quality of finishing pigs raised on the low plane of nutrition vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-015-0070-4
- Effects of the plane of nutrition for grower pigs on their grow-finish performance and meat quality in winter vol.61, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.1
- Effects of the plane of nutrition during the latter grower and entire finisher phases on grow-finish pig performance in summer vol.61, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.10