- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Revisiting Effects of Endorsers' Race on Attitudes Toward Ad and Brand
광고 모델의 인종이 광고와 브랜드 태도형성에 미치는 영향에 대한 고찰
- Received : 2014.06.19
- Accepted : 2014.07.07
- Published : 2014.08.28
As the Korean market is becoming increasingly diverse, it is imperative that marketers targeting the Korean market understand the consumers with various racial and cultural backgrounds. The current study investigated the effects of the endorser race (White vs. Black) on the attitudes toward the ad and brand while varying the experimental context (private vs. public) and product type (high involvement-rational vs. low involvement-emotional) with White participants. Impression management was included as a covariate. The results showed that when the endorser was White and the product was an automobile, participants indicated more positive attitudes toward the ad in the private context than in the public context. When the endorser was Black, the context had no significant effects on the attitudes. The implications of these findings for the Korean market are discussed.
Supported by : 홍익대학교
- J. Nelson and J. Lukas, "Target: Minorities," Marketing & Decisions, Vol.25, No.10, pp.70-71, 1990.
- J. Aaker, A. Brumbaugh, and S. Grier, "Non-Target Markets and Viewer Distinctiveness: The Impact of Target Marketing on Advertising Attitudes," J. of Consumer Psychology, Vol.9, No.3, pp.127-140, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP0903_1
- R. Deshpande and D. Stayman, "A Tale of Two Cities: Distinctiveness Theory and Advertising Effectiveness," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.31, pp.57-64, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151946
- C. Dimofte, M. Forehand, and R. Deshpande, "Ad Schema Incongruity as Elicitor of Ethnic Self-Awareness and Differential Advertising Response," J. of Advertising, Vol.32, No.4, pp.7-17, 2003.
- T. Whittler, "Viewer's Processing of Source and Message Cues in Advertising Stimuli," Psychology and Marketing, Vol.6, pp.287-309, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220060405
- T. Whittler and J. DiMeo, "Viewer's Reactions to Racial Cues in Advertising Stimuli," J. of Advertising Research, Vol.31, No.6, pp.37-46, 1991.
- R. Fazio and M. Olson, "Implicit Measures in Social Cognition Research: Their Meaning and Use," Annual Review Psychology, Vol.54, pp.297-327, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.54.101601.145225
- A. Greenwald and M. Banaji, "Implicit social cognition: Attitudes, Self-esteem, and Stereotypes," Psychological Review, Vol.102, No.1, pp.4-27, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.102.1.4
- T. Holtgraves, "Social Desirability and Self-Reports: Testing Models of Socially Desirable Responding," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.30, No.2, pp.161-172, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167203259930
- R. Fazio, J. Jackson, B. Dunton, and C. Williams, "Variability in Automatic Activation as an Unobtrusive Measure of Racial Attitudes: A Bona Fide Pipeline?," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.69, No.6, pp.1013-1027, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- A. Greenwald, D. McGhee, and J. Schwartz, "Measuring Individual Differences in Implicit Cognition: The Implicit Association Test," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.74, pp.1464-1480, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1244
- J. Cohen, "White Consumer Response to Asian Models in Advertising," The J. of Consumer Marketing, Vol.9, No.2, pp.17-27, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769210036999
- R. Kanungo and S. Pang, "Effects of Human Models on Perceived Product Quality," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.57, pp.172-178, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037042
- J. Henderson and G. Baldasty, "Race, Advertising, and Prime-Time Television," The Howard J. of Communication, Vol.14, pp.97-112, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/10646170304267
- A. Bailey, "A Year in the Life of the African-American Male in Advertising," J. of Advertising, Vol.35, No.1, pp.83-104, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367350106
- T. Whittler and J. Spira, "Model's Race: A Peripheral Cue in Advertising Messages?," J. of Consumer Psychology, Vol.12, No.4, pp.291-301, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/15327660260382333
- M. Forehand and R. Deshpande, "What We See Makes Us Who We are: Priming Ethnic Self-Awareness and Advertising Response," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.38, No.3, pp.336-349, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.38.3.336.18871
- M. Forehand and A. Reed, "Identity Salience and the Influence of Differential Activation of the Social Self-Schema on Advertising Response," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.87, No.6, pp.1086-1099, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.6.1086
- J. Williams and W. Qualls, "Middle Class Black Consumers and Intensity of Ethnic Identification," Psychology and Marketing, Vol.6, pp.263-286, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220060404
- P. Solomon, R. Bush, and J. Hair, "White and Black Consumer Sales Responses to Black Models," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.13, pp.431-434, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151036
- D. Kahneman and D. Miller, "Norm Theory: Comparing Reality to Its Alternatives," Psychological Review, Vol.93, pp.136-153, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.93.2.136
- P. White and S. Harkins, "Race of Source Effects in the Elaboration Likelihood Model," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.67, No.5, pp.790-807, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- R. Petty, M. Fleming, and P. White, "Stigmatized Sources and Persuasion: Prejudice as a Determinant of Argument Scrutiny," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.76, No.1, pp.19-34, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- D. Paulhus and D. Reid, "Enhancement and Denial in Socially Desirable Responding," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.60, No.2, pp.207-317, 1991.
- C. Crandall and A. Eshleman, "A Justification-Suppression Model of the Expression and Experience of Prejudice," Psychology Bulletin, Vol.129, No.3, pp.414-446, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.129.3.414
- R. Tourangeau and K. Rasinski, "Cognitive Processes Underlying Context Effects in Attitude Measurement," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, pp.299-314, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.299
- A. Greenwald, M. Banaji, L. Rudman, S. Farnham, B. Nosek, and D. Mellott, "A Unified Theory of Implicit Attitudes, Stereotypes, Self-Esteem and Self-Concept," Psychology Review, Vol.109, pp.3-25, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.109.1.3
- C. Green, "Ethnic Evaluations of Advertising: Interaction Effects of Strength of Ethnic Identification, Media Placement, and Degree of Racial Composition," J. of Advertising, Vol.28, No.1, pp.49-64, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1999.10673576
- R. Vaughn, "How Advertising Works: A Planning Model Revisited," J. of Advertising Research, Vol.26, No.1, pp.57-66, 1986.
- S. MacKenzie, R. Lutz, and G. Belch, "The Role of Attitude toward the Ad as a Mediator of Advertising Effectiveness: A Test of Competing Explanations," J. of Marketing Research. Vol.23, No.2, pp.130-143, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151660
- D. Muehling, "An Investigation of Factors Underlying Attitude toward Advertising in General," J. of Advertising, Vol.16, No.1, pp.32-40, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1987.10673058
- M. Campbell and K. Keller, "Brand Familiarity and Advertising Repetition Effects," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.30, No.2, pp.292-304, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1086/376800
- J. Dovidio, K. Kawakami, and S. Gartner, "Implicit and Explicit Prejudice and Interracial Interaction," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.82, No.1, pp.62-68, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- 이은선, 안정선, "남성 잡지 광고의 섹슈얼 이미지 내용분석-메트로섹슈얼, 레트로섹슈얼, 호모섹슈얼을 중심으로", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제7호, pp.80-90, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.07.080
- 소현진, "광고효과모형에 관한 문헌연구: 모형의 검토와 제언", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제12호, pp.986-994, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.986