- Volume 50 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Catching efficiency of a shrimp beam trawl according to the length of beam and wing net and its influence on the hauling work
새우조망 어구의 막대 (빔)와 날개그물 길이에 따른 어획성능과 양망 작업에의 영향
- Park, Hae-Hoon (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute)
- 박해훈 (국립수산과학원 시스템공학과)
- Received : 2014.01.20
- Accepted : 2014.08.22
- Published : 2014.08.31
Shrimp beam trawl fishery is one of the important coastal fisheries in Korea. It has a regulation to the length of beam (8m) and wing net (7m) of shrimp beam trawl that has been used in the district of Junlanam-do and Gyungsangnam-do. This regulation was made in relation to the size of shrimp beam trawler of 3-ton class at that time. Now the shrimp beam fishing vessel has a limit not greater than 5 tons in gross ton. Recently, with improvement of fishing industry and fishing vessel fishermen asked the expansion of the length of beam and wing net, therefore it is necessary to investigate the effect of lengthening the beam and wing net length. Three different beams (8m, 10m and 12m in length) and three different wing net (7m, 10m and 13m in length) were made and the experiment was conducted near Narodo of Goheng by two fishing vessels of 4.98 and 4.88 tons in gross ton between June 2011 and October 2012. When the length of wing net was increased from 7m to 10m and 13m, the relative catch ratio in total biomass was increased 25% and 79% for shrimp, (17% and 22% in total), respectively. And when the beam length was increased from 8m to 10m and 12m, the relative catch ratio was increased 35% and 84% for shrimp, (21% and 37% in total), respectively. The force exerted to the iron guide of inhauler's with the beam length of 8m was about 30% greater than that with the beam length of 10m when hauling the shrimp beam trawl net.
Beam length;Wing net length;Catch efficiency;Operation safety;Shrimp beam trawl
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Broadhurst MK and Kennelly SJ. 1994. Reducing the by-catch of juvenile fish (mulloway Argyrosomus hololepidotus) using square-mesh panels in codends in the Hawkesbury River prawn-trawl fishery, Australia. Fish Res, 19, 321-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(94)90047-7
- Broadhurst MK. Kangas MI, Damiano C, Bickford SA and Kennelly SJ. 2002. Using composite square-mesh panels and the Nordmfre-grid to reduce bycatch in the Shark Bay prawn-trawl fishery, Western Australia. Fish Res, 58 (3), 349-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(01)00390-3
- Cha BJ, Cho SK, Ahn HC and Kim IO. 2012. Development of a bycatch reduction device (BRD) for shrimp beam trawl using flexible materials. Iranian Journals of Fisheries Science, 11 (1), 89-104.
- Cha HK, Oh CWand Choi JH. 2004. Biology of the cocktail shrimp, Trachysalambria curvirostris (Decapoda : Panaeidae) in the Yellow Sea of Korea. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K., 84, 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315404009270h
- Depestele J, Desender M, Benoit HP, Polet H and Vincx M. 2014. Short-term survival of discarded target fish and non-target invertebrate species in the "eurocutter" beam trawl fishery of the southern North Sea. Fish Res, 154, 82-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2014.01.018
- DevalaMC, Boka T, Atesa C and Ozbilginb H. 2006. Selectivity of PE and PA material codends for rose shrimp (Parapenaus longirostris) in Turkish twin rigged beam trawl fishery. Fish Res, 81, 72-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2006.05.007
- Jang CS, Cho YH, Lim CR, Kim BY and An YS. 2009. An analysis on catch of the shrimp beam trawl fishery in Korea coastal sea. J Kor Fish Soc Technol, 45 (1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.45.1.001
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2011. Annual report on the development of the coastal and offshore fisheries of Korea - III. Busan, pp. 168.
- NFRDI. 2012. Annual report on the development of the coastal and offshore fisheries of Korea - IV. Busan, pp. 228.
- NFRDI. 2013. Annual report on the development of the coastal and offshore fisheries of Korea - V. Busan, pp. 223.
- Oh TY, Choi JH, Cha HK, Kim JI, Koh JL and Lee JH. 2003. Maturation and growth of Trachypenaeus curvirostris in the coastal water of Geomundo, Korea. Bull. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 39 (2), 120-127. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2003.39.2.120
- Oh TY, Cho YB, Park GJ, Jeong SB, Kim MS and Lee JH. 2004. Mesh selectivity of beam trawl for shrimps, Korea. Bull. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 40 (1), 86-94. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2004.40.1.086
- Revill AS and Jennings S, 2005. The capacity of benthos release panels to reduce the impacts of beam trawls on benthic communities. Fish Res, 75, 73-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2005.04.012