- Volume 50 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Fishing characteristics of small yellow croaker drift gill net by net height
참조기 유자망의 설 높이에 따른 어획특성
- Oh, Taeg-Yun (Fisheries Resources Management Division, NFRDI) ;
- Cho, Young-Bok (Income and Welfare Division, MOF) ;
- Seo, Young-Il (Fisheries Resources Management Division, NFRDI) ;
- Kim, Byung-Yeob (College of Oean Sciences, Cheju National University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Heon (College of Oean Sciences, Cheju National University)
- 오택윤 (국립수산과학원 자원관리과) ;
- 조영복 (해양수산부 소득복지과) ;
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 자원관리과) ;
- 김병엽 (제주대학교 해양과학대학) ;
- 이창헌 (제주대학교 해양과학대학)
- Received : 2014.08.06
- Accepted : 2014.08.25
- Published : 2014.08.31
Small yellow croaker is one of the important stocks in Korean waters. In this study, we conducted sea trials to estimate optimum height of a drift gill net for effective fishing of small yellow croaker. In the trial using existing net which has 9.2m in height, there was 22 species (1,180 fishes, 99.9kg) caught. The catch (in individuals) of small yellow croaker, especially larger fishes (over 22cm in FL), was higher as part of net height is higher, while the number of species bycaught and the catch of those species were higher as part of net height is lower. In the trial using extension net which has 18.4m in height, there was 27 species (2,030 fishes, 151.7kg). It showed same pattern with existing net in the section I to III, however, in the section IV which is over 13.8m of net height, the catch sharply decreased. The number of species bycaught and the catch of those species using extension net were also same as results using existing net. It showed that section III (9.2-13.8m) where is upper-middle part of the net has caught most of catch and large fishes having over 22cm in length. Through these results, it is judged that the setting depth of the net where is 4.6-13.8m above the sea bottom is the best to reduce bycatch and catch much more large size fishes, and the catch per net is proportional to filtering area of net. Therefore the Fisheries Resource Management Act (the clause 1, article 10) on the amount of usage for offshore drift gill net need to be considered not only length of a net but also net height.
Small yellow croaker;Drift gill net;Bycatch;Net height
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Jo TH and Lee BM. 1993. Study on Mechanization of Net Hauler of Bottom Drift Gill Net For Yellow Croaker, Pseudosciaena polyactis. Bull Natl Fish Res Dev Ins Korea 48, 187-196.
- Kim BY, Seo DO, Choi CM, Lee CH, Chang DS, Oh TY, Kim YH and Kim JN. 2010. Characteristics of lost fishing gear distribution on the sea bed around gill net fishing ground for yellow croaker in the near sea of Jeju, Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 46, 441-448. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.441
- Kim SH, Park SW, Bae JH and Kim YH. 2009. Mesh selectivity of drift gill net for Yellow croaker, Larimichthys polyactis, in the coastal sea of Gageo-do. J Kor Soc Fish Aquat Sci 42, 518-522. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2009.42.5.518
- Kim SH, Park SW, Lee K and Yang Y. 2012. The estimation of the optimum mesh size selectivity of a drift net for yellow croaker (Larimichthys polyactis) using by the SELECT model. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 48, 10-19. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.1.010
- Kim YH, Lee SK and Lee JB. 2006. Age and Growth of yellow croaker, Larimichthys polyactis in the South Sea of Korea. Kor J Ichthyol 18, 45-54.
- MOF (Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries). 1980-2014. Fisheries information service (on line). Available from www.fips.go.kr (accessed 10 April 2014).
- Nakabo T. 2002. Fishes of Japan with pictorial keys to the species (second edition). Tokai University Press, 1749pp.
- Nelson JS. 2006. Fishes of the world (4th edition). John Wiley and Sons Inc, 624pp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 1967. Korea Fishing Gear & Illustrations (vol 2). Shinheung Pub Co, 208pp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2002. Fishing Gear of Korea. Han-Geul Pub Co, 579pp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2004. Commercial Fishes of the coastal & offshore waters in Korea. Han-Geul Pub Co, 333pp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2010. Ecology and fishing ground of major commercial species in the Korean waters. Ye-Moon Pub Co, 405pp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2012. Study on the state and the operation improvement of the fishing gear for the yellow croaker drift gill net fishery in Korean waters. NFRDI Fisheries research report, 92pp.
- Park CS. 1981. Maturity and Spawning of Yellow Croaker, Pseudosciaena manchurica (JORDAN et THOMPSON), in the Western Waters of Korea. Bull Natl Fish Res Dev Ins 27, 93-101.
- Park YC, Cha BY and Cha HK. 1999. Maturation and spawning of the Yellow goosefish, Lophius litulon (Jordan) in Korean Waters. J Kor Soc Fish Res 2, 84-91.
- Mesh size selectivity of the gillnet in East China Sea vol.77, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/77/1/012013