- Volume 50 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Diet composition of juvenile Korean piscivorous chub, Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis in the surf zone of Nakdong river estuary, Korea
낙동강 하구역 해빈 쇄파대에서 출현하는 끄리(Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis) 유어의 위내용물 조성
- Baeck, Gun Wook (Department of Marine Biology & Aquaculture/Institute of Marine Industry, College of Marine Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Huh, Sung Hoi (Department of Oceanography, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Joo Myun (Korea Inter-University Institutes of Oceanography, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2014.07.22
- Accepted : 2014.08.21
- Published : 2014.08.31
The diet composition of juvenile Korean piscivorous chub, Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis were studied using 277 specimens collected from January to December 2004 in the surf zone of Nakdong river estuary. The size of Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis ranged from 2.6 to 9.1 cm in standard length (SL). Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis was carnivore that consumes mainly amphipods and insects. Its diet also included small quantities of polychaetes, fishes, and algae and plants. Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis showed ontogenetic diet change. Smaller individuals (< 4 cm SL) mainly consumed amphipods. The portion of these prey items decreased with increasing fish size, and this decrease was paralleled with increased consumption of larger preys such as polychaetes and fishes. Insects were preyed moderated values in all size classes. Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis diet also showed diel change with consuming more on amphipods and polychaetes during day.
Diet composition;Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis;Surf zone;Nakdong river estuary
- Brabrand A. 1985. Food of roach (Rutilus rutilus) and ide (Leuciscus idus): significance of diet shift for interspecific competition in omnivorous fish. Oecologia, 66, 461-467. (DOI: 10.1007/BF00379334) https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00379334
- Castillo-Rivera M. 2013. Influence of rainfall pattern in the seasonal variation of fish abundance in a tropical estuary with restricted marine communication. J Water Resour Protect, 5, 311-319. (DOI: 10.4236/jwarp.2013.53A032) https://doi.org/10.4236/jwarp.2013.53A032
- Ayvazian SG, Hyndes GA. 1995. Surf zone fish assemblages in southwestern Australia: do adjacent nearshore habitats and the warm Leeuwin Current infl uence the characteristics of the fish fauna? Mar Biol, 122, 527-536. (DOI: 10.1007/BF00350675) https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00350675
- Blaber SJM, Blaber TG. 1980. Factors affecting the distribution of juvenile estuarine and inshore fish. J Fish Biol, 17, 143-162. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.1980.tb02749.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1980.tb02749.x
- Clark BM, Bennett BA, Lamberrth SJ. 1996. Factors affecting spatial variability in seine net catches of fish in the surf zone of False Bay, South Africa. Mar Ecol Prog Ser, 131, 17-34. (DOI: 10.3354/meps131017) https://doi.org/10.3354/meps131017
- Choi JS. 2005. Ichthyofauna and fish community structure in Chuncheon Reservoir. Korean J Environ Biol, 23, 173-183.
- Choi JS, Jang YS, Lee KY, Kwon OK. 2004. Feeding habits of Gobiobotia macrocephala (Cyprinidae) from the Namhan River, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol, 16, 165-172.
- Choi JS, Kwon OK, Park JH, Byeon HK. 2001. Feeding habits of Gobiobotia brevibraba (Cyprinidae) from the Hongcheon River, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol, 13, 230-236.
- Choi JS, Lee KY, Jang YS, Park JH, Kwon OK. 2006. Feeding habits of Rhynchocypris kumgangensis (Cyprinidae) from the Hongcheon River, Korea. Korean J Environ Biol, 24, 29-37.
- Contente RF, Stefanoni MF, Spach HL. 2012. Feeding ecology of the American freshwater goby Ctenogobius shufeldti (Gobiidae, Perciformes) in a sub-tropical estuary. J Fish Biol, 80, 2357-2373. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03300.x.) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03300.x
- Cowx IG. 1989. Interactions between roach, Rutilus rutilus, and dace, Leuciscus leuciscus, populations in a river catchment in the south-west of England. J Fish Biol, 35, 279-284. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.1989.tb03071.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1989.tb03071.x
- Inoue T, Suda Y, Sano M. 2004. Food habits of fishes in the surf zone of a sandy beach at Sanrimatsubara, Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan. Ichthyol Res, 52, 9-14. (DOI 10.1007/s10228-004-0246-2) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-004-0246-2
- Ferry LA, Cailliet GM. 1996. Sample size and data analysis: are we characterizing and comparing diet properly In: Feeding Ecology and Nutrition in Fish, Symp. Proc., D. MacKinlay, K. Shearer (Eds.). American Fisheries Society. San Francisco, CA, pp. 7180.
- Gibson RN, Ansell AD, Robb L. 1993. Seasonal and annual variations in abundance and species composition of fish and macrocrustacean communities on a Scottish sandy beach. Mar Ecol Prog Ser, 98, 89-105 https://doi.org/10.3354/meps098089
- Gomex-Ferreira A, Ribeiro F, Moreira da Costa L, Cowx IG, Collares-Pereira MJ. 2005. Variability in diet and foraging behaviour between sexes and ploidy forms of the hybridogenetic Squalius alburnoides complex (Cyprinidae) in the Guadiana River basin, Portugal. J Fish Biol, 66, 454-467. (DOI: 10.1111/j.0022-1112.2005.00611.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-1112.2005.00611.x
- Jeon SR. 1999. First record of the Opsariichthys uncirostris amurensis (Pices: Cyprinidae) from the Panbyon-river of Naktong-river system, Korea. Korean J Environ Biol, 17, 499-501.
- Kang YH, Seo JW, Keum JD, Yang HJ. 2004. The fish community structure in the middle of Nakdong River. Korean J Limnol, 37, 227-235.
- Kim IS. 1997. Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fauna & Flora of Korea: Vol. 37. Freshwater Fishes. Ministry of Education, Seoul, 629.
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CR, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated Book of Korean Fishes. Kohak, lnc., 616.
- Kurita Y, Nakajima J, Kaneto J, Onikura N. 2008. Analysis of the Gut Contents of the Internal Exotic Fish Species Opsariichthys uncirostris uncirostris in the Futatsugawa River, Kyushu Island, Japan. J Fac Agr Kyushu Univ, 53, 429-433.
- Mehner T, Ihlau J, Dorner H, Holker F. 2005. Can feeding of fish on terrestrial insects subsidize the nutrient pool of lakes? Limnol Oceanogr, 50, 2022-2031. (DOI: 10.4319/lo.2005.50.6.2022) https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2005.50.6.2022
- Lasiak TA. 1984. Structural aspects of the surf-zone fish assemblage at King's beach, Algoa Bay, South Africa: short-term fluctuations. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci, 18, 347-360. (DOI: 10.1016/0272-7714 (84)90084-2) https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7714(84)90084-2
- Lasiak TA. 1986. Juveniles, food and the surf zone habitat: implications for teleost nursery areas. S African J Zool, 21, 52-56.
- Lee TW, Moon HT, Choi SS. 1997. Change in species composition of fish in Chonsu Bay (II) surf zone fish. Korean J Ichthyol, 9, 79-90.
- Lobon-Cervia J, Rincon PA. 1994. Trophic ecology of red roach (Rutilus arcasii) in a seasonal stream; an example of detritivory as a feeding tactic. Freshw Biol, 32, 123-132. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2427.1994.tb00872.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1994.tb00872.x
- Persson L. 1983. Food consumption and the significance of detritus and algae to intraspecific competition in roach Rutilus rutilus in a shallow eutrophic lake. Oecologia, 41, 118-125.
- Pinkas L, OliphantMS, lverson ILK. 1971. Food habits of albacore, bluefin tuna and bonito in California waters. Fish Bull, 152, 1105.
- Whitfield AK. 1996. A review of estuarine ichthyology in South Africa over the past 50 years. Trans Roy Soc S Afr, 51, 79-89. (DOI: 10.1080/00359199609520601) https://doi.org/10.1080/00359199609520601
- The Summer Diet of a Juvenile Barbell Steed, Hemibarbus labeo, in the Surf Zone of the Nakdong River Estuary, Korea vol.22, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.6.766
- Feeding habits of juvenile sea perch, Lateolabrax japonicus in tidal creek at Sangnae–ri Suncheon, Korea vol.51, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.2.221