- Volume 50 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical characteristics of mackerel and tuna viscera as baits for swimming crab Portunus trituberculatus pots
꽃게 통발용 미끼로서의 고등어와 다랑어 내장의 이화학적 특성
- Koo, Jae-Geun (Dept. of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kunsan National University) ;
- Chang, Ho Young (Dept. of Marine Science & Production, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2014.07.15
- Accepted : 2014.08.24
- Published : 2014.08.31
This study was conducted to investigate the attractant substances of different solvent fractions of mackerel and tuna viscera. Mackerel and tuna viscera were extracted with methanol and the resultant were fractionated with n-hexane, chloroform, ethyl acetate, n-butanol and water. The chemical compounds such as free amino acid, fatty acid, nucleotide related compounds contents were estimated for mackerel, tuna viscera and various fractions. These fractions were also subjected to attracting experiments in water tank to estimate attracting effects. The aqueous fractions of mackerel and tuna viscera showed the highest attraction effect on swimming crab. The major chemical compounds of the aqueous fractions were histidine, taurine, cysteine, glutamic acid, inosine monophosphate (IMP) and inosine (HxR) for mackerel and arginine, glutamic acid, aspartic aid, alanine, IMP and hypoxanthin (Hx). Results indicated that higher polarity compounds, such as amino acid and nucleotide related compounds have higher attraction activities than nonpolar substances such as neutral lipid.
Swimming crab;Bait;Physicochemical characteristics;Mackerel;Tuna viscera
- An YI and Arimoto T. 2007. Development of artificial bait for octopus drift line. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43 (4), 291-300. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.291
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis, 15th ed.. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, D.C..
- Archdale MV, Anasco CP and Tahara Y. 2008. Catch of swimming crabs using fish mince in"teabags"compared to conventional fish baits in collapsible pots. Fish Res 91, 291-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2007.12.005
- Beukemaj JJ, 1970. Acquired hook-avoidance in the pike Esox lucius L. fished with artificial and natural baits. J Fish Bio 2, 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1970.tb03268.x
- Carr WES and Derby CD. 1986. Chemically stimulated feeding behavior in marine animals. J Chem Ecol 12, 989-1011. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01638992
- Carr WES and Thompson HW. 1983. Adenosine 5-monophoshpate, an internal regulatory agent, is a potent chemoattractant for a marine shrimp. J Comp Phsiol 153, 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00610341
- Chang HY, Koo JG, Lee KW and Cho BK. 2007. Attracting effect of baits used in trap for swimming crab. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43 (4), 301-309. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.301
- Chang HY, Koo JG, Lee KW, Cho BK and Jeong BG. 2008. Attracting effect of baits used the by-product for swimming crab Portunus trituberculatus pots. J Kor Soc Fish 44 (4), 282-293. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.282
- Fuwa S, Ishizaki M, Tanaka A, Ebata K, Miura T and Abe T. 2000. The efficiency of the processed bait for longline made by the leftovers of squid. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 66 (5), 888-889. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.66.888
- Hara JJ. 1982. Chemoreception in Fishes (ed. by Hara JJ). Elsevier Sci Pub Co., Amsterdam, 433.
- Harada K. 1986. Feeding attraction activities of nucleic acid related compounds for abalone, oriental weather fish and yellowtail. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 52 (11), 1961-1968. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.52.1961
- Kawamura G, Matsuoka T, Tajiri T, Nishida M and Hayashi M. 1995. Effectiveness of a sugarcane-fish combination as bait in trapping swimming crabs. Fish Res 22, 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(94)00314-M
- Januma S. 2001. The application of processed bait for pelagic tuna longline made by liver of squid. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 67 (2), 313-314. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.67.313
- Januma S, Miyajima K and Abe T. 2003. Development and comparative of squid liver artificial bait for tuna longline. Fish Sci 69, 288-292. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2003.00619.x
- Johnstone, A.D.F. and A.M. Mackie, 1990. Laboratory investigations of bait acceptance by the cod, Gadus morthua L.: investigations of feeding stimulants. Fish Res 9, 219-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(05)80003-7
- KFDA. 2008. Food code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Seoul, Korea, 1-641.
- Kim BS, Kim YH, Lee HH, CHO YJ, Kim DS, OH SM and Shim KB. 2011. Comparison of the chemical compositions and biogenic amine contents of salt-fermented fish sauces produced in Korea to evaluate the quality characteristics. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 23, 607-614.
- Kobayashi H. 1975. A study on the success of a fishery with artificial baits for tuna long lines. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 41 (2), 175-182. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.41.175
- Lokkeborg S. 1991. Fishing experiments with an alternative longline bait using surplus fish products. Fish Res 12, 43-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(91)90048-K
- Miyazaki C, Yazima S, Koyama T andMitsugi S. 1967. Fishing efficiency of feed stuff containing chemical stimulant. Bull Tokai Reg Fish Res Lab 49, 99-103.
- Takaoka O, Takii K, Nakamura M, Kumai H and Takeda M. 1990. Identification of feeding stimulants for marbled rockfish. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 56 (2), 345-351. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.56.345
- Takeda M, Takii K and Matsui K. 1984. Identification of feeding stimulants for juvenile eel. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 50, 645-651. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.50.645
- Zimmer-Faust RK. 1989. The relationship between chemoreception and foraging behavior in crustaceans. Limnol Oceanogr 34 (7), 1367-1374. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1922.214.171.1247
- Watanabe T and Honda N. 2005. Trap catch of the red queen crab Chionoecetes japonicus when using conspecific crabs as trap bait. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 71 (4), 549-554. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.71.549
- Yamaguchi Y, Nonoda T, Kobayashi H, Izawa K, Jinno T, Ishikura I, Uchida M and Tonogai M. 1983. Effectiveness of artificial baits for obtaining higher hooking rate on bottom set long-line fishing. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 49 (12), 1819-1824. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.49.1819
- Youm MG. 1998. The improved artificial trap baits, Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 34 (2), 185-190.
- Youm MG, Kang SJ, Choi YJ, Choi BD and Cho CW. 1990a. Studies on the applying attractants-I, Identification of natural baits for sea eels, Astroconger myriaster, in their natural habitats. Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 26 (4), 317-325.
- Youm MG, Choi YJ, Kang SJ, Choi BD and Cho CW. 1990b. Studies on the applying attractants-II. Identification of chemical attractants for sea eels, Astroconger myriaster, in their natural habitats. Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 26 (4), 326-332.