- Volume 50 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Mesh selectivity of a dome-shaped pot for finely-striate buccinum Buccinum striatissimum in the eastern coastal waters of Korea
반구형 통발에 대한 물레고둥 (Buccinum striatissimum)의 망목 선택성
- Park, Chang-Doo (Fisheries system engineering Division, NFRDI) ;
- Bae, Jae-Hyun (Aquaculture Industry Division, East Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Cho, Sam-Kwang (Fisheries system engineering Division, NFRDI) ;
- Kim, In-Ok (Aquaculture Industry Division, West Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI)
- Received : 2014.07.05
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.08.31
Finely-striate buccinum Buccinum striatissimum, a species of whelks, is caught mainly by pot in the eastern coastal waters of Korea. In order to determine the size selectivity of pot for the species, comparative fishing experiments were conducted near Yeongil Bay from June to September in 2003 using the dome-shaped pots with different five mesh sizes (17.1, 24.8, 35.3, 39.8, and 48.3 mm). The parameters of logistic equation were estimated by the SELECT (Share Each Length's Catch Total) method based on a multinomial distribution. The model with the estimated split parameter was found to fit the catch data best. The master selection curve was estimated to be s (R)=exp (13.044R-16.438)/[1 + exp (13.044R-16.438)], where R is the ratio of shell height to mesh size. The relative shell height of 50% retention was 1.260, and the selection range was 0.168. Enlargement in mesh size of the pot allows more small-sized whelks to escape.
Whelk;Finely-striate buccinum;Pot;Selectivity;Selection curve;SELECT method;Buccinum striatissimum
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Akaike H. 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Trans Autom Contr AC-19, 716-723.
- Boutson A, Mahasawasde C, Mahasawasde S, Tunkijjanukij S and Aromoto T. 2009. Use of escape vents to improve size and species selectivity of collapsible pot for blue swimming crab Portunus pelagicus in Thailand. Fish Sci 75, 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-008-0010-z
- Fujimori Y and Tokai T. 2001. Estimation of gill net selectivity curves by maximum likelihood method. Fish Sci 67, 644-654. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2001.00301.x
- Harada M, Tokai T, Kimura M, Hu F and Shimizu K. 2007. Size selectivity of escape holes in conger tube traps for inshore hagfish Eptatretus burgeri and white-spotted conger Conger myriaster in Tokyo bay. Fish Sci 73, 477-488. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01360.x
- Jeong EC, Park CD, Park SW, Lee JH and Tokai T. 2000. Size selectivity of trap for male red queen crab Chionoecetes japonicus with the extended SELECT model. Fish Sci 66, 494-501. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2000.00079.x
- Jirapunpipat K, Phomikong P, Yokota M and Watanabe S. 2008. The effect of escape vents in collapsible pots on catch and size of the mud crab Scylla. Fish Res 94, 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.06.018
- Kim IO, Mituhasi T, Jo TH, Park CD and Tokai T. 2005. Effect of tooth spacing on the contact selection and available selection of a dredge for the equilateral Venus clam Gomphina melanaegis. Fish Sci 71, 713-720. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2005.01020.x
- Mituhasi T, Tokai T, Ercoli R, Garcia JC, Salvini L, Bartozzetti J and Roth R. 2000. Estimating codend selectivity and fish escapement from a cover net of an insufficiently small mesh size. Fish Sci 66, 327-333. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2000.00051.x
- Kim IO, Jo TH, Park CD and Tokai T. 2005. Mesh selectivity of dredge bag net for a clam, equilateral Venus clam Gomphina melanaegis. 2005. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 71, 54-59. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.71.54
- Millar RB and Fryer RJ. 1999. Estimating the size-selection curves of towed gears, traps, nets and hooks. Rev Fish Biol Fish 9, 89-116. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008838220001
- Millar RB andWalsh DJ. 1992. Analysis of trawl selectivity studies with an application to trouser trawls. Fish Res 13, 205-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(92)90077-7
- Miyajima T, Yagishita N, Yamasaki A and Tokai T. 2012. Mesh selectivity of Danish seine for Japanese sand fish Arctoscopusjaponicus. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 78, 27-36. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.78.27
- Miller R. J. and Addison J. T. 1995. Trapping interactions of crabs and American lobster in laboratory tanks. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 52, 315-324. https://doi.org/10.1139/f95-032
- Nashimoto K, Suzuki K, Takagi T, Motomatsu K and Hiraishi T. 1995. Selectivity of traps for whelks Neptunea arthritica. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 61, 525-530. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.61.525
- National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI). 2000. Commercial Molluscs from the Freshwater and Continental Shelf in Korea. Kudeok Print Publishing Co., Busan, 86-87.
- National Fisheries Research & Development Institute. 2008. Fishing Gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, Busan, 104-130.
- Okutani T. 2000. Marine Mollusks in Japan. Tokai Univ. Press, Tokyo, 488-489.
- Park CD, Jeong EC, Shin JK, An HC and Fujimori Y. 2004. Mesh selectivity of encircling gill net for gizzard shad Konosirus punctatus in the coastal sea of Korea. Fish Sci 70, 553-560. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2004.00840.x
- Park CD, Park HH and Kim JN. 2011. Size selectivity of a shrimp beam trawl for the Southern rough shrimp Trachysalambria curvirostris with the Extended SELECT Method. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44 (4), 390-396. (doi: 10.5657/KFAS.2011.0390) https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0390
- Park CD, Bae JH, Cho SK, Cha BJ and Kim HY. 2013. Size selectivity of the dome-shaped pot for whelk Buccinum opisthoplectum in the eastern coastal waters of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech. 49 (4), 368-376. (doi: 10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.368) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.368
- Park HH, Millar RB, An HC and Kim HY. 2007. Size selectivity of drum-net traps for whelk (Buccinum opisoplectum dall) in the Korean coastal waters of the East Sea. Fish Res, 86, 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2007.05.008
- Treble RJ, Millar RB and Walker TI. 1998. Size selectivity of lobster pots with escape-gaps : application of SELECT method to the southern rock lobster (Jasusedwardsii) fishery in Victoria, Australia. Fish Res 34, 289-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(97)00072-6
- Watanabe T and Yamasaki S. 2006. Size selectivity of the red queen crab trap estimated with pocket cages. Tech Rept Nat Res Inst Fish Eng 28, 1-11.
- Wileman DA, Ferro RST, Fonteyne R andMillar RB. 1996. Manual of methods of measuring the selectivity of towed fishing gears. ICES Cooperative research report No. 215, 1-126.
- Yamashita H, Shiode D and Tokai T. 2009. Longline hook selectivity for red tilefish Branchiostegus japonicus in the East China Sea. Fish Sci 75, 863-874. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-009-0115-z
- Size selectivity of a dome–shaped pot for Morotoge shrimp Pandalopsis japonica in the eastern coastal waters of Korea vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.396
- Mesh selectivity of the drum–shaped pot for starfish Asterina pectinifera in the western coastal waters of Korea vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.387