- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Awareness of Breast Cancer Warning Signs and Screening Methods among Female Residents of Pokhara Valley, Nepal
- Sathian, Brijesh (Community Medicine, Manipal College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Nagaraja, Sharath Burugina (Department of Community Medicine, ESIC Medical College and PGIMSR) ;
- Banerjee, Indrajit (Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sreedharan, Jayadevan (Gulf Medical University) ;
- De, Asis (Community Medicine, Manipal College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Roy, Bedanta (Department of Physiology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rajesh, Elayedath (School of Behavioural Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University) ;
- Senthilkumaran, Subramanian (Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Sri Gokulam Hospital and Research Institute) ;
- Hussain, Syed Ather (Dow Medical College, Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Menezes, Ritesh George (College of Medicine, King Fahd Hospital of the University, University of Dammam)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Background: Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in the world and by far the most frequent cancer among women. Objective: The present study was undertaken to assess the awareness of breast cancer warning signs and screening methods among the women of Pokhara valley, Nepal. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional questionnaire survey was carried out in a community setting with the female population. The questionnaire was administered in face-to-face interviews by trained research assistants. Results: Nepalese women demonstrated poor awareness of warning signs like a breast lump, lump under the armpit, bleeding or discharge from the nipple, pulling of the nipple, changes in the position of the nipple, nipple rash, redness of the breast skin, changes in the size of the breast or nipple, changes in the shape of the breast or nipple, pain in the breast or armpit, and dimpling of the breast skin. While 100% of nurses were aware about breast self-examination(BSE), mammography and warning signs of breast cancer. Levels of knowledge were significantly poorer in women with other occupations. Graduates were more aware about BSE, mammogram and warning signs of breast cancer compared to those with other educational levels. Conclusions: The findings indicated that the level of awareness of breast cancer, including knowledge of warning signs and BSE, is sub-optimal among Nepalese women.
- Amin TT, Al-Wadaani HA, Al-Quaimi MM, et al (2012). Saudi women's interest in breast cancer gene testing: possible influence of awareness, perceived risk and socio-demographic factors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3879-87. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3879
- Andsoy II, Gul A (2014). Breast, cervix and colorectal cancer knowledge among nurses in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2267-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2267
- Chauhan A, Subba SH, Menezes RG, et al (2011). Younger women are affected by breast cancer in South India -a hospital-based descriptive study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev,12, 709-11.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2012). Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet].Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, accessed on 11/05/2014.
- Kanaga KC, Nithiya J, Shatirah MF (2011). Awareness of breast cancer and screening procedures among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1965-7.
- Norsa'adah B, Rahmah MA, Rampal KG, Knight A (2012). Understanding barriers to Malaysian women with breast cancer seeking help. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3723-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3723
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R, Savas E, Bicer F (2014). Awareness and practices regarding breast and cervical cancer among Turkish women in Gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Loh SY, Chew SL (2011). Awareness and practice of breast self examination among malaysian women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 199-202.
- NorlailiAA, Fatihah MA, Daliana NF, Maznah D (2013). Breast cancer awareness of rural women in Malaysia: is it the same as in the cities? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7161-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7161
- Parsa P, Kandiah M (2010). Predictors of adherence to clinical breast examination and mammography screening among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 681-8.
- Radi SM (2013). Breast cancer awareness among Saudi females in Jeddah. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4307-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4307
- Ravichandran K, Mohamed G, Al-Hamdan NA (2010). Public knowledge on cancer and its determinants among Saudis in the Riyadh Region of Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1175-80.
- Rosmawati NH (2010). The usage and knowledge of mammography among women in sub-urban area in Terengganu, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 767-71.
- Sathian B, Sreedharan J, Baboo NS, et al (2010). Relevance of Sample Size Determination in Medical Research. Nepal J Epidemiol, 1, 4-10.
- Serey VH, Kim ES, Monchy D (2011). Preliminary data about female malignant breast tumours in Cambodia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 383-5.
- Shallwani K, Ramji R, Ali TS, Khuwaja AK (2010). Self examination for breast and testicular cancers: a community-based intervention study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11,383-6.
- Sreedevi A, Quereshi MA, Kurian B, Kamalamma L (2014). Screening for breast cancer in a low middle income country: predictors in a rural area of Kerala, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1919-24. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1919
- Sreedharan J, Muttappallymyalil J, Venkatramana M, Thomas M (2010). Breast self-examination: knowledge and practice among nurses in United Arab Emirates. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 651-4.
- Uysal-Sonmez O, Tanriverdi O, Uyeturk U, et al (2014). Awareness of cancer screening during treatment of patients with renal failure: a physician survey in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2165-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2165
- WMA, (2013). WMADeclaration of Helsinki -Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. Available at: http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3/index.html [Accessed February 6, 2014].
- Wu TY, Chung S, Yeh MC, et al (2012). Understanding breast cancer screening practices in Taiwan: a country with universal health care. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4289-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4289
- Yadav P, Jaroli DP (2010). Breast cancer: Awareness and risk factors in college-going younger age group women in Rajasthan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 319-22.
- Yoo BN, Choi KS, Jung KW, Jun JK (2012). Awareness and practice of breast self-examination among Korean women: results from a nationwide survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev,13, 123-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.123
- Effects of Progressive Relaxation Exercises on Anxiety and Comfort of Turkish Breast Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.217
- Breast Cancer Awareness at the Community Level among Women in Delhi, India vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5243
- Impact of a Breast Health Awareness Activity on the Knowledge Level of the Participants and its Association with Socio-Demographic Features vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5817
- The Spectrum of Genetic Mutations in Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2177
- Public Awareness of Warning Signs and Symptoms of Cancer in Oman: A Community-Based Survey of Adults vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2731
- Malignant Neoplasm Burden in Nepal - Data from the Seven Major Cancer Service Hospitals for 2012 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8659
- Development of a Breast Cancer Awareness Scale for Thai Women: Moving towards a Validated Measure vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.851
- Trend of Cancer Incidence in Nepal from 2003 to 2012 vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2171
- Bioinformatic analysis of computational identified differentially expressed genes in tumor stoma of pregnancy-associated breast cancer vol.16, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.6947
- Transcultural adaptation and validation of the Persian version of the breast cancer awareness measure (BCAM) questionnaire vol.7, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1740
- Women’s knowledge about risk factors of breast cancer in a Brazilian community pp.1541-0331, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2018.1516266