- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Lack of any Prognostic Relationship between Adiponectin Receptor (Adipo R1/R2) Expression for Early/Advanced Stage Gastric Cancer
- Ayyildiz, Talat (Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Ondokuz Mayis University) ;
- Dolar, Enver (Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University) ;
- Ugras, Nesrin (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University) ;
- Dizdar, Oguzhan Sitki (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University) ;
- Adim, Saduman Balaban (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University) ;
- Yerci, Omer (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Introduction: Adiponectin (ApN) is a complement C1q-related protein, mainly secreted from adipose tissue, that signals through ApN receptor1 (Adipo-R1) and ApN receptor 2 (Adipo-R2). Low serum ApN concentrations are associated with obesity-related malignancies. However, there are very few studies on any prognostic role of ApN receptors in gastric cancer. Objectives: The aim of this study is to investigate the relationship between AdipoR1/R2 expression and early/advanced stage gastric cancer in terms of clinicopathologic characteristics and survival. Materials and Methods: Eighteen patients with early and 39 with advanced stage gastric cancer who underwent surgical gastric resection were included in this study. Results: Adipo-R1 expression was low in 2 of the 18 patients with early stage gastric cancer (11.1%), while 4 had low Adipo-R2 expression (22.2%). In those with advanced stage gastric cancer, 7 of 39 had low Adipo-R1 expression (17.9%) and 16 had low Adipo-R2 expression (41%). Adipo-R2 expression was significantly higher (p=0.011) in moderately differentiated tumors when compared to well-differentiated tumors. While there was nearly a statistically significant relationship between TNM stage (T, tumor size; N, regional lymph node; M, whether distant metastases exist) and Adipo-R2 expression (p=0.054), there was no relationship between Adipo-R1/-R2 expression with tumor stage and survival. Conclusion: Adipo-R1/-R2 expression has no prognostic significance of in early/advanced stage gastric cancer.
Supported by : Uludag University
- Cnop M, Havel PJ, Utzschneider KM, et al (2003). Relationship of adiponectin to body fat distribution, insulin sensitivity and plasma lipoproteins: evidence for independent roles of age and sex. Diabetologia, 46, 459-69.
- Arita Y, Kihara S, Ouchi N, et al (2002). Adipocyte-derived plasma protein adiponectin acts as a platelet-derived growth factor-BB-binding protein and regulates growth factor-induced common postreceptor signal in vascular smooth muscle cell. Circulation, 105, 2893-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000018622.84402.FF
- Barresi V, Grosso M, Giuffre G, Tuccari G, Barresi G (2009). The expression of adiponectin receptors Adipo-R1 and Adipo-R2 is associated with an intestinal histotype and longer survival in gastric carcinoma. J Clin Pathol, 62, 705-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2009.066175
- Brakenhielm E, Veitonmaki N, Cao R, et al (2004). Adiponectin-induced antiangiogenesis and antitumor activity involve caspase-mediated endothelial cell apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 101, 2476-81. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0308671100
- Dalamaga M, Diakopoulos KN, Mantzoros CS (2012). The role of adiponectin in cancer: a review of current evidence. Endocr Rev, 33, 547-94. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2011-1015
- Dalamaga M, Migdalis I, Fargnoli JL, et al (2009). Pancreatic cancer express adiponectin receptors and is associated with hypoleptinemia and hyperadiponectemia: a case control study. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 625-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9273-z
- Dal Maso L, Augustin LS, Karalis A, et al (2004). Circulating adiponectin and endometrial cancer risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 89, 1160-3. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-031716
- Diez JJ, Iglesias P (2003). The role of the novel adipocyte-derived hormone adiponectin in human disease. Eur J Endocrinol, 148, 293-300. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.0.1480293
- Fenoglio-Preiser C, Carneiro F, Correa P, et al (2000). Gastric carcinoma. In: Hamilton SR, Aaltonen LA, eds. Tumours of the digestive system. Lyon: IARC Press, 39-52.
- Ishikawa M, Kitayama J, Yamauchi T, et al (2007). Adiponectin inhibits the growth and peritoneal metastasis of gastric cancer through its specific membrane receptors AdipoR1 and AdipoR2. Cancer Sci, 98, 1120-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2007.00486.x
- Gulcelik MA, Colakoglu K, Dincer H, et al (2012). Associations between adiponectin and two different cancers: breast and colon. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 395-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.395
- Hebbard L, Ranscht B (2014). Multifaceted roles of adiponectin in cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab, 28, 59-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beem.2013.11.005
- Ishikawa M, Kitayama J, Kazama S, et al (2005). Plasma adiponectin and gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 466-72.
- Joshi RK, Lee SA (2014). Obesity related adipokines and colorectal cancer: a review and meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.397
- Kadowaki T, Yamauchi T (2005). Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors. Endocr Rev, 26, 439-51. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2005-0005
- Karami N, Talebkhan Y, Saberi S, et al (2013). Seroreactivity to Helicobacter pylori antigens as a risk indicator of gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1813-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1813
- Korner A, Pazaitou-Panayiotou K, Kelesidis T, et al (2007). Total and high-molecular-weight adiponectin in breast cancer: in vitro and in vivo studies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 92, 1041-8. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-1858
- Maeda K, Okubo K, Shimomura I, et al (1996). cDNA cloning and expression of a novel adipose specific collagen-like factor, apM1 (AdiPose Most abundant Gene transcript1). Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 221, 286-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1996.0587
- Mantzoros C, Petridou E, Dessypris N, et al (2004). Adiponectin and breast cancer risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 89, 1102-7. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-031804
- Otani K, Kitayama J, Kamei T, et al (2010). Adiponectin receptors are downregulated in human gastric cancer. Gastroenterol, 45, 918-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-010-0228-2
- Michalakis K, Williams CJ, Mitsiades N, et al (2007). Serum adiponectin concentrations and tissue expression of adiponectin receptors are reduced in patients with prostate cancer: a case control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 308-13. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0621
- Mistry T, Digby JE, Chen J, Desai KM, Randeva HS (2006). The regulation of adiponectin receptors in human prostate cancer cell lines. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 348, 832-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.07.139
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales IL (2008). Globular adiponectin, acting via adiponcetin receptor-1, inhibits leptin-stimulated oesophageal adenocarcinoma cell proliferation. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 285, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2008.01.023
- Petridou ET, Mitsiades N, Gialamas S, et al (2007). Circulating adiponectin levels and expression of adiponectin receptors in relation to lung cancer: two case-control studies. Oncology, 73, 261-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000127424
- Pinthus JH, Kleinmann N, Tisdale B, et al (2008). Lower plasma adiponectin levels are associated with larger tumor size and metastasis in clear-cell carcinoma of the kidney. Eur Urol, 54, 866-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2008.02.044
- Seker M, Bilici A, Sonmez B, et al (2010). The association of serum adiponectin levels with histopathological variables in gastric cancer patients. Med Oncol, 27, 1319-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9382-x
- Tsukada T, Fushida S, Harada S, et al (2011). Adiponectin receptor-1 expression is associated with good prognosis in gastric cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 30, 107. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-30-107
- Williams CJ, Mitsiades N, Sozopoulos E, et al (2008). Adiponectin receptor expression is elevated in colorectal carcinomas but not in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Endocr Relat Cancer, 15, 289-99. https://doi.org/10.1677/ERC-07-0197
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Ito Y, et al (2003). Cloning of adiponectin receptors that mediate antidiabetic metabolic effects. Nature, 423, 762-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01705
- Yokota T, Oritani K, Takahashi I, et al (2000). Adiponectin, a new member of the family of soluble defense collagens, negatively regulates the growth of myelomonocytic progenitors and the functions of macrophages. Blood, 96, 1723-32.
- Yoneda K, Tomimoto A, Endo H, et al (2008). Expression of adiponectin receptors, AdipoR1 and AdipoR2, in normal colon epithelium and colon caner tissue. Oncol Rep, 20, 479-83.