- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Trends in Smoking among University Students between 2005-2012 in Sakarya, Turkey
- Alvur, Tuncay Muge (Department of Family Medicine, Kocaeli University School of Medicine) ;
- Cinar, Nursan (School of Health Sciences, Sakarya University) ;
- Oncel, Selim (Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Kocaeli University School of Medicine) ;
- Akduran, Funda (School of Health Sciences, Sakarya University) ;
- Dede, Cemile (Vocational School of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Turkey protects its entire population of 75 million people with all the MPOWER measures at the highest level. The aim of this study is to make a comparison of smoking and addiction data obtained from Sakarya University students in 2005-6 and 2012-13. A total of 4,200 (2,500 and 1,700 for each academic year) students at Sakarya University in Sakarya, Turkey, were randomly selected for sampling purposes. The selected participants represented Sakarya University students. Data were collected using a pretested anonymous and confidential, self-completed questionnaire which took 15-20 minutes to complete and Fagerstrom Test for nicotine dependence. Chi-squared, Spearman correlation, and binary logistic regression tests were used to define associations, if any. The level of significance was kept at alpha=0.05. Smoking prevalance dropped by 8.5% (from 26.9% to 18.5%). Male gender, older age, high family smoking index, low self-rated school success, and high peer smoker proportion were common variables that have correlation with smoking status. In the binary logistic regression test the highest contributor to "being a smoker" was found to be the rate of peer smokers. Having all friends smoking puts the student a a 47.5 and 58.0 times higher risk for smoking for males and females, respectively. Our results suggest an admirable diminution of smoking prevalance among Sakarya University students, which can be attributed to MPOWER protection.
- American Psychiatric Association, DSM-5 Task Force (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Bohadana A, Nilsson F, Rasmussen T, Martinet Y (2003). Gender differences in quit rates following smoking cessation with combination nicotine therapy: influence of baseline smoking behavior. Nicotine Tob Res, 5, 111-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/1462220021000060482
- Arbak P, Erdem F, Karacan O, Ozdemir O (2000). Duzce lisesi ogrencilerinde sigara aliskanligi (Smoking habits in high-school students in Duzce) (in Turkish). Solunum Dergisi, 2, 17-21.
- Berlin I, Singleton EG, Pedarriosse A-M, et al (2003). The Modified Reasons for Smoking Scale: factorial structure, gender effects and relationship with nicotine dependence and smoking cessation in French smokers. Addiction, 98, 1575-83. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2003.00523.x
- Binu VS, Subba SH, Menezes RG, et al (2010). Smoking among Nepali youth--prevalence and predictors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 221-6.
- Cai Y, Lu L, Li N, et al (2012). Social, psychological, and environmental-structural factors associated with tobacco experimentation among adolescents in Shanghai, China. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 9, 3421-36. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph9103421
- Carpenter MJ, Upadhyaya HP, LaRowe SD, Saladin ME, Brady, KT (2006). Menstrual cycle phase effects on nicotine withdrawal and cigarette craving: a review. Nicotine Tob Res, 8, 627-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200600910793
- Demirel Y, Sezer RE (2005). Sivas bolgesi ogrencilerinde sigara kullanma sikligi. Erciyes Med J, 27, 1-6.
Eiser JR, Van der Pligt J (1986).
or : smokers' perceptions of their addiction. Addict Behav, 11, 11-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(86)90003-1
- Erbaydar T, Lawrence S, Dagli E, Hayran O, Collishaw NE (2005). Influence of social environment in smoking among adolescents in Turkey. Eur J Public Health, 15, 404-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/cki040
- Ertas N (2007). Factors associated with stages of cigarette smoking among Turkish youth. Eur J Public Health, 17, 155-61. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckl095
- Heatherton TF, Kozlowski LT, Frecker RC, Fagerstrom KO (1991). The Fagerstrom Test for nicotine dependence: a revision of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire. Br J Addict, 86, 1119-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1991.tb01879.x
- Fagerstrom KO (1978). Measuring degree of physical dependence to tobacco smoking with reference to individualization of treatment. Addict Behav, 3, 235-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(78)90024-2
- Gallus S, Pacifici R, Colombo P, et al (2005). Tobacco dependence in the general population in Italy. Ann Oncol, 16, 703-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi153
- Golbasi Z, Kaya D, Cetindag A, et al (2011). Smoking prevalence and associated attitudes among high school students in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1313-6.
- Hussain HY, Abdulsatar BA (2013). Prevalence and determinants of tobacco use among Iraqi adolescents: Iraq GYTS 2012. Tob Induc Dis, 11, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1617-9625-11-14
- John U, Meyer C, Rumpf H-J, Schumann A, Hapke U (2005). Consistency or change in nicotine dependence according to the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence over three years in a population sample. J Addict Dis, 24, 85-100. https://doi.org/10.1300/J069v24n01_08
- Kabir MA (2007). Safe-delivery practices in rural Bangladesh and its associated factors: evidence from Bangladesh demographic and health survey-2004. East Afr J Public Health, 4, 67-72.
- Kaleta D, Makowiec-Dabrowska T, Dziankowska-Zaborszczyk E, Fronczak, A (2013). Predictors of smoking initiation--results from the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) in Poland 2009-2010. Ann Agric Environ Med, 20, 756-66.
- Kang HG, Kwon KH, Lee IW, et al (2013). Biochemically-verified smoking rate trends and factors associated with inaccurate self-reporting of smoking habits in Korean women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6807-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6807
- Ozge C, Toros F, Bayramkaya E, Camdeviren H, Sasmaz T (2006). Which sociodemographic factors are important on smoking behaviour of high school students? The contribution of classification and regression tree methodology in a broad epidemiological survey. Postgrad Med J, 82, 532-41. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2005.040360
- Karimy M, Niknami S, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh I, Montazeri A (2013). Prevalence and determinants of male adolescents' smoking in Iran: an explanation based on the theory of planned behavior. Iran Red Crescent Med J, 15, 187-93. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.3378
- Karlikaya C (2002). Edirne'de lise ogrencilerinde sigara icme prevelansi Kacakcilik, Reklamlar ve Ergenlerin Sigaraya Ulasmasi? (in Turkish). Toraks Dergisi, 3, 7-12.
- Metintas S, Sariboyaci MA, Nuhoglu S, et al (1998). Smoking patterns of university students in Eskisehir, Turkey. Public Health, 112, 261-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-3506(98)00243-1
- Philip PM, Parambil NA, Bhaskarapillai B, Balasubramanian S (2013). Evaluation of a specially designed tobacco control program to reduce tobacco use among school children in Kerala. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3455-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3455
- Reda AA, Moges A, Yazew B, Biadgilign S (2012). Determinants of cigarette smoking among school adolescents in eastern Ethiopia: a cross-sectional study. Harm Reduction J, 9, 39. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7517-9-39
- Saatci E, Inan S, Bozdemir N, Akpinar E, Ergun G (2004). Predictors of smoking behavior of first year university students: questionnaire survey. Croat Med J, 45, 76-9.
- Sangthong R, Chongsuvivatwong V, Geater AF, et al (2011) Decreasing trends of smoking and smoking cessation in successive Thai birth cohorts: age-period-cohort analysis from 1991-2007 national surveys. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3081-5.
- World Health Organization (2010). WHO I International Classification of Diseases (ICD). World Health Organization. 2010. Accessed Mar 10, 2014. http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/.
- Targowski T, From S, Rozynska R, Mierzejewska J (2004). Effect of some demographic and social factors on the degree of nicotine addiction and motivation to quit smoking in healthy people. Pneumonologia I Alergologia Polska, 72, 198-200 (in Polish).
- The World Bank (2014). Turkey Home. The World Bank. Feb 27, 2014. http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/turkey
- Uysal MA, Kadakal F, Karsidag C, et al (2004). Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence: reliability in a Turkish sample and factor analysis. Tuberculosis and Thorax, 52, 115-21.
- World Health Organization (2012). Global progress report on implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control". PDF file. WHO I Global progress reports. Accessed Feb 27, 2014. http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/79170.
- World Health Organization (2014). The European health report 2012: charting the way to well-being. PDF file. WHO/Europe I Data and evidence - European health report 2012. Accessed Feb 27, 2014. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/197113/The-European-health-report-2012.-Charting-the-way-to-well-being.pdf.
- World Health Organization (2014). WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2013. PDF file. WHO I WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic 2013. Accessed Mar 10, 2014. http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/85380/1/9789241505871_eng.pdf?ua=1.
- World Health Organization (2014). Draft action plan for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases 2013-2020. PDF file. WHO I NCD action plan. Accessed Mar 12, 2014. http://www.who.int/entity/nmh/publications/ncd_action_plan2013.pdf?ua=1
- World Health Organization (2014). Global Adult Tobacco Survey data. PDF file. WHO I Turkey. Accessed Feb 27, 2014. http://who.int/entity/tobacco/surveillance/survey/gats/gats_turkey_2012_fact_sheet_may_2013.pdf?ua=1.
- Prevalence of Cigarette Smoking and Associated Factors among Male Citizens in Tehran, Iran vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1473
- Tobacco Use and Associated Factors in Medical Students vol.5, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/rijm.43120
- Substance Abuse and Its Predictors in Freshmen Students of Lorestan Universities: Subgrouping of College Students in West of Iran vol.In Press, pp.In Press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/jhealthscope.64186
- pp.2154-4700, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/19338244.2018.1556200