- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Diabetes - Increased Risk for Cancers through Chromosomal Aberrations?
- Anand, Sudhaa (Biomedical Genetics Research Laboratory, SBST, VIT University) ;
- Nath, Badari (Biomedical Genetics Research Laboratory, SBST, VIT University) ;
- Saraswathy, Radha (Biomedical Genetics Research Laboratory, SBST, VIT University)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Diabetes, a comprehensive genetic disease, is principally due to the deregulation of glucose levels in the blood. In addition to contemporary epidemiological studies, systematic substantiation suggests that long-term diabetes leads to cancers due to a variety of reasons. In this study, blood samples were collected with informed consent from confirmed type I diabetic (T1DM, n=25) and type II Diabetic patients (T2DM, n=25) with equal numbers of controls. Further depending on the lifestyle habits they were subdivided into smokers/non-smokers and alcoholics/non-alcoholics. Chromosomal assays were performed for these cases and it was found that there was a significant increase in chromosomal aberration frequency in diabetic patient groups who are exposed to smoking and alcohol than that of normal diabetic groups (T1DM and T2DM). On the other hand, patient groups who were non-smoking and non-alcoholics also showed higher chromosomal aberrations when compared to that of controls. While the mechanisms for these increased chromosomal aberrations in diabetic groups are not clear, they may be due to increased oxidative stress leading to oxidative damage and resulting in genomic instability, which in turn may contribute to an increased risk for cancer.
- Dominguez C, Ruiz E, Gussinye M, Carrascosa A (1998). Oxidative stress at onset and in early stages of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents. Diabetes Care, 21, 1736-42. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.10.1736
- Balasubramaniam G, Sanjay T, Umesh M, et al (2013). Prostate cancer: a hospital-based survival study from Mumbai, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2595-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2595
- Bonnefond A, Boris S, Stephane L, et al (2013). Association between large detectable clonal mosaicism and type 2 diabetes with vascular complications. Nature Genetics, [Epub ahead of print].
- Gao C, Jian HD, Su PL, et al (2013). Active and passive smoking and alcohol drinking and breast cancer risk in Chinese women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 993-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.993
- Limoli C, Erich G (2003). Induction of chromosomal oxidative stress. Neoplasia, 4, 339-46.
- Cinkilica N, Sinem K, Serap C, et al (2009). Evaluation of chromosome aberrations, sister chromatid exchange and micronuclei in patients with type-1 diabetes mellitus. Mutat Res, 676, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2009.02.014
- Damian G, Elizabeth AD, Judith MH, Ruth R (2012). Drug-Induced Oxidative Stress and Toxicity. J Toxicol, [Epub ahead of print].
- Donovan A, Lennox AJ, Tazhmoye VC (2012). Prostate cancer and metabolic syndrome: is there a link? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.001
- Edward G, David MHn, Michael CA, et al (2010). Diabetes and cancer, a consensus report. Diabetes Care, 33, 1674-85. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-0666
- Hyun HC, Jun SM, Ji SY et al (2013). The relationship between metformin patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metabolism J, 37, 125-31. https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2013.37.2.125
- George A, Rupraj D, Vikas B, et al (2014). Nuclear anomalies, chromosomal aberrations and proliferation rates in cultured lymphocytes of head and neck cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1119-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1119
- Harman E, Erten C, Kucukzeybek Y, et al (2012). Use of oral antidiabetic drugs (metformin and pioglitazone) in diabetic patients with breast cancer: how does it effect on serum Hif-1 alpha and 8Ohdg levels? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5143-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5143
- Hungerford DA (1965). Leucocytes cultured from small inocula of whole blood and the preparation of metaphase chromosome by treatment with hypotonic KCl. Stain Technology, 40, 333-8.
- Ina A, Ali KM, Mehmet K, et al (2012). Is diabetes mellitus a prognostic factor for survival in patients with small cell lung cancer? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1491-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1491
- Jamal MA, Ahmad MA, Mohammed AA, Othman AA, (2011). Causative relationship between diabetes mellitus and breast cancer in various regions of saudi arabia: an overview. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 589-92.
- Khan MMH, Mitsuru M, Yoshihisa F, et al (2006). Site-specific cancer risk due to diabetes mellitus history: evidence from the Japan Collaborative Cohort (JACC) study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 253-9.
- Liao S, Jinxin L, Wen W, et al (2011). Association between diabetes mellitus and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis of the literature. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1061-5.
- Mitsuru M, Shigeyuki S, Satoru T, et al (2000). A review of cohort studies on the association between history of diabetes mellitus and occurrence of cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 1, 269-76.
- Sardas S, Yilmaz M, Oztok U, Cakir N, Karakaya AE (2001). Assessment of DNA strand breakage by comet assay in diabetic patients and the role of antioxidant supplementation. Mutat Res, 490, 123-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(00)00157-1
- Nefic H, Inda H (2013). The effect of age, sex, and lifestyle factors on micronucleus frequency in peripheral blood lymphocytes of the Bosnian population. Mutat Res, 753, 1-11.
- Obe G, Pfeiffer P, Savage JR, et al (2002). Chromosomal aberrations: formation, identification and distribution. Mutat Res, 504, 17-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-5107(02)00076-3
- Pernicova I, Marta K (2014). Metformin-mode of action and clinical implications for diabetes and cancer. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, 10, 143-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2013.256
- Satrudhan Pd G, Ankush M, Dipendra KJ, et al (2012). Diabetes mellitus and renal cell carcinoma-a hospital based study from Kathmandu Valley. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4963-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4963
- Shahdoust M, Ebrahim H, Hossein M, Ali C (2013), Finding genes discriminating smokers from non-smokers by applying a growing self-organizing clustering method to large airway epithelium cell microarray data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 111-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.111
- Xiong Y, Qing-Jun L, Jing Z, Guo-Yang W (2012). Metformin inhibits growth of hepatocellular carcinoma cells by inducing apoptosis via mitochondrion-mediated pathway. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3275-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3275
- Yang XQ, Chen X, Yan S, Rui-Fa H (2013) Diabetes mellitus increases the risk of bladder cancer: an updated meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2583-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2583
- Zendehdel K, Nyren O, Ostenson CG, et al (2003). Cancer incidence in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a population-based cohort study in Sweden. J Natl Cancer Inst, 95, 1797-800. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djg105
- Elevated Fasting Blood Glucose is Associated with Increased Risk of Breast Cancer: Outcome of Case-control Study Conducted in Karachi, Pakistan vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.675
- The Relationship Between Vitamin B6, Diabetes and Cancer vol.9, pp.1664-8021, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2018.00388