- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cigarette Smoking across Three Generations and of Perceptions of the Smoking-Cancer Relationship on the Cigarette Smoking Status of Turkish University Students
- Ozturk, Candan (Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Science, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University) ;
- Bektas, Murat (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Mert, Ozlem (Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Science, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Background: This descriptive and cross-sectional study aimed to investigate effects of cigarette smoking across three generations and perceptions of the smoking-cancer relationship on the cigarette smoking status of Turkish university students. Materials and Methods: The study sample comprised of 434 university students studying in different departments of a university. Data were collected using a socio-demographic data collection form and the Decisional Balance Scaleqand evaluated using the Mann-Whitney U test, CHAID and multiple regression analyses. Results: The average age of the students participating in the study is 19.6+.5.0, some 11.3% of the students reporting that they smoked cigarettes. No statistically significant relationship was ascertained between the cigarette smoking statuses of the students based on the cigarette smoking status of their grandparents (p=0.144). but there was alink to that of their parents (p=0.002). The difference between the cigarette smoking ratios of the students based on their perceptions of smoking-cancer relationship was statistically significant (p<0.001). Believing that there is a relationship between smoking and cancer decreased likelihood of cigarette smoking 3.7 fold. Cigarette smoking by grandparents, and believing that there is a relationship between smoking and cancer, and cigarette smoking by parents explained 8.3% of the cigarette smoking status of the students. Conclusions: While cigarette smoking by grandparents only indirectly influences cigarette smoking by the students, believing that there is a relationship between smoking and cancer, and cigarette smoking by parents are influential variables in determining cigarette smoking by Turkish students.
- Bandura A (1989). Social cognitive theory. In R. Vasta (Ed.), Annals of child development. Vol.6. Six theories of child development (pp. 1-60). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Al-naggar RA, Al-dubai SAR, Hamoud T, Chen R, Al-Jashamy K (2011). Prevalence and associated factors of smoking among Malaysian university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 619-24.
- Al-Naggar RA, Bobryshev YV, Mohd Noor NAB (2013). Lifestyle practice among Malaysian university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1895-903. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1895
- Azhar A, Alsayed N (2012). Prevalence of smoking among female medical students in Saudai Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4245-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4245
- Bandura A (1998). Health promotion from the perspective of social cognitive theory. Psychology and Hlth, 13, 623-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449808407422
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Amstrong M (2010a). Validity and reliability study of the Turkish version of the Decisional Balance Scale for adults. J Addict Nurs, 21, 6-13. https://doi.org/10.3109/10884601003628096
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2010b). An approach to children' s smoking behaviors using social cognitive learning theory. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1143-9.
- Boyaci H, Corapcioglu A, Ilgazli A, Basyigit I, Yildiz F (2003). The evaluation of smoking habits in Kocaeli university students. Solunum Hastaliklari, 14, 169-75
- Brighi E, Tortorano AM (2009). Tobacco smoking habits among the nursing students and the influence of the family and peer smoking behaviour. J Adv Nurs, 66, 33-9.
- Brook JS, Zhang C, Balka EB, Brook DW (2012). Pathways to children's externalizing behavior: a three-generation study. J Genet Psychol, 173, 175-97. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221325.2011.594821
- Jayakumary M, Jayadevan S, Ranade AN, et al (2010). Prevalence and pattern of Dokha use among medical and allied health students in Ajman, United Arab Emirates. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1547-49
- Capik C, Ozbicakci S (2007). Factors effecting levels of smoking addiction of students attending to the nursing high school. Uluslararasi Insan Bilimleri Dergisi, 4, 1-11
- Edwards OW (2006). Teachers' perceptions of the emotional and behavioral functioning of children raised by grandparents. Psychol Sch, 43, 565-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.20170
- Golbasi Z, Kaya D, Cetindag A, Capik E, Aydogan S (2011). Smoking prevalence and associated attitudes among high school students in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1313-6.
- Jeganathan PD, Hairi NN, Al Sada N, Chinna K (2013). Smoking stage relations to peer, school and parental factors among secondary school students in Kinta, Perak. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3483-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3483
- Kalesan B, Stine J, Alberg AJ (2006). The joint influence of parental modeling and positive parental concern on cigarette smoking in middle and high school students. J Sch Health, 76, 402-7 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2006.00133.x
- Kilic N, Ek HN (2006). Knowledge, behavior and manner of conduct for cigarette in Adnan Menderes University Health School and Vocational School of Health Students. Saglik Bilimleri Dergisi, 15, 85-90.
- McCann TV, Clark E, Rowe K (2005). Undergraduate nursing students' attitude toward smoking health promotion. Nurs Health Sci, 7, 164-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2005.00228.x
- Ohido T, Kamal AAM, Takemura S, et al (2001). Smoking behevahior and related factors Japanese nursing students: A cohort study. Prev Med, 32, 341-7. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0828
- Ozturk C, Bektas M, Yilmaz E, et al (2011). Smoking status of Turkish nursing students and factors affecting their behavior. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1687-92.
- Smith DR (2007). A systematic review of tobacco smoking among nursing students. Nurse Educ Pract, 7, 293-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.09.003
- Ozturk C, Kahraman S, Bektas M (2013). Effects of perceived parental attitudes on children' s views of smoking. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2615-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2615
- Pallonen UE, Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Prokhorov AV, Smith NF (1998). Stages of acquisition and cessation for adolescent smoking: an empirical investigation. Addict Behav, 23, 303-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4603(97)00074-9
- Picakciefe M, Keskinoglu P, Bayar B, et al (2007). Smoking prevalence among Mugla School of Health Sciences students and Causes of Leading Increase in Smoking. TSK Koruyucu Hekimlik Bulteni, 6, 267-72.
- Tanrikulu AC, Carman KB, Palanci Y, et al (2009). The prevalence of cigarette smoking among university students in Kars and risk factors. Turkish Thoracic Journal, 3, 101-6.
- Telli CG, Aytemur SZ, Ozol D, Sayiner A (2004). Smoking habits among newly registered university students. Solunum Dergisi, 6, 101-6.
- Turhan E, Inandi T, Ozer C, Akoglu S (2011). Substance use, violence among university students and their some psychological characteristics. Turkiye Halk Sagligi Dergisi, 9, 33-44.
- Ulgen H, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2012). Effect of self-efficacy on Turkish children's perceptions of the advantages / disadvantages of smoking. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 795-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.795
- Vandewater E, Park SE, Carey FR, Wilkinson AV (2014). Intergenerational transfer of smoking across three generations and forty-five years. Nicotine Tob Res, 16, 11-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntt112
- Velicer WF, DiClemente CC, Prochaska JO, et al. (1985). Decisional balance measure for assessing and predicting smoking status. J Pers Soc Psychol, 48, 1279-89. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119
- WHO (2008). Report On The Global Tobacco Epidemics 2008. , Geneva, Switzerland.
- Waldrop DP, Weber JA (2005). From grandparent tocaregiver: The stress and satisfaction of raising grandchildren. In F. J. Turner (Ed.), Social Work Diagnosis In Contemporary Practice (pp. 184-195). New York, NY: Oxford University Press, Inc.
- WHO (2005). Health Professionals Against Tobacco. Edt. Bilir N, Telatar G. Tutun Kontrolunde Saglik Profesyonellerinin Rolu. Ankara.
- WHO (2007). The European Tobacco Control Report 2007. Edt. Bilir N, Ozcebe H, Aslan D, Erguder T. ve ark.. Avrupa Tutun Kontrolu Raporu 2007. WHO Turkiye Ofisi.
- WHO (2012). World Health Statistics 2012. WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Gender Differences in Marital Disruption among Patients with Cancer: Results from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6547
- Effects of Perceived Smoking-Cancer Relationship and Cardiovascular Health Attitudes on Childrens' Views of Smoking vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2801