- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Triple Negative Breast Cancer in People of North East India: Critical Insights Gained at a Regional Cancer Centre
- Sharma, Mousumi (Pathology, Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute) ;
- Sharma, Jagannath Dev (Pathology, Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute) ;
- Sarma, Anupam (Pathology, Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute) ;
- Ahmed, Shiraj (Pathology, Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute) ;
- Kataki, Amal Chandra (Medical Director, Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute) ;
- Saxena, Rahul (Biochemistry, SMSR, Sharda University) ;
- Sharma, Dilutpal (Biochemistry, SMSR, Sharda University)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Background: Breast cancer is a heterogeneous disease comprising of distinct biological subtypes with many targeted prognostic biomarkers having therapeutic implications. However, no specific targeted therapy for triple negative breast cancer has been discovered to date and hence further research is needed. Aim: The aim and objectives of the present study were to examine the prevalence of triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) in North-East India and to compare the clinicopathological parameters in two study groups defined by immunohistochemistry (IHC) - "TNBC" and "Others". Materials and Methods: We carried out a retrospective study in a cohort of 972 patients diagnosed with invasive breast carcinoma in the Department of Pathology, Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute, a Regional Cancer Centre for treatment and research, Guwahati, for a period of 3 years and 10 months from January 2010 to October 2013. Based on IHC findings, patients were divided into two groups - "TNBC" and "Others". All relevant clinicopathological parameters were compared in both. TNBC were defined as those that were estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and HER2/neu negative while those positive for any of these markers were defined as "Others". Results: In this study, out of total 972 cases 31.9% (310 cases) were defined as TNBC and 662 cases (68.1%) as "Others" based on IHC markers. Compared to the "Others" category, TNBC presented at an early age (mean 40 years), were associated with high grade large tumours and high rate of node positivity, IDC NOS being the most common histological subtype in TNBC. Conclusions: TNBC accounts for a significant portion of breast cancers in this part of India and commonly present at younger age and tend to be large high grade tumours.
- Ambroise M, Ghosh M, Mallikarjuna VS, Kurian M (2011). Immunohistochemical profile of breast cancer patients at a tertiary care hospital in South India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 625-9.
- Basu S, Chen W, Tchou J, et al (2008). Comparison of triple negative and estrogen receptor positive/progesterone receptor positive/HER 2 negative breast carcinoma using quantitative fluorine-18 flurodeoxyglucose/positron emission tomography imaging parameters: a potentially usefull method for disease characterization. Cancer, 112, 995-1000. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23226
- Bauer KR, Brown M, Cress RD, Parise CA, Caggiano V (2007). Descriptive analysis of estrogen receptor (ER)-negative, progesterone receptor (PR)-negative, and HER2-negative invasive breast cancer, the so called triple-negative phenotype. Cancer, 109, 1721-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22618
- Carey LA, Perou CM, Livsay CA, et al (2006). Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina breast cancer study. JAMA, 295, 2492-502. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.21.2492
- Dolle JM, Dating JR, White E, et al (2009). Risk factors for TNBC in women Under age 45. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 1157-66. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-1005
- Cheang M, Voduc D, Bajdik C (2008). Basal- like breast cancer defined by five biomarkers has superior prognostic value than triple-negative phenotype. Clin cancer Res, 14, 1368-76. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1658
- Chutstecka Z (2008). Survival Disadvantage Seen for TNBC. Medscape Medical News.
- Cummings MC, Chamber R, Simpson PT, Lakhani SR. (2011). Molecular classification of breast carcinoma. Is it time to pack up our microscopes? Pathology, 43, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAT.0b013e328341e0b5
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v 1.0, Cancer incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No.11[Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2013. Available from http: //globocan, iarc.fr.
- Foulkes WD, Stefanson IM, Chappuis PO, et al (2003). Germline BRCA1 mutation and a basal epithelial phenotype breast cancer. J Nath Cancer Inst, 95, 1482-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djg050
- Gown AM (2008). Current issue in ER and HER2/neu testing by IHC in breast cancer. Mod Pathol, 21, 8-15. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2008.34
- Hammond ME, Haydes DF, Dowsett M, et al (2010). American society of clinical oncology/college of american pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2784-95. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.25.6529
- Huang HJ, Neven P, Drijkoningen M, et al (2005). Association between tumour characteristics and HER2/NEU by immunohistochemistry in 1362 women with primary operable breast cancer. J Clin Pathol, 58, 611-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2004.022772
- Hudis CA, Gianni L (2011). Triple negative breast cancer. An unmet medical need. Oncologist, 16, 1-11.
- Luo X, Shi YX, Li ZM, Jiang WQ (2010). Expression and clinical significance of androgen receptor in triple negative breast cancer. Chin J Cancer, 29, 585-90. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.009.10673
- Iwase H, Kurebayashi J, Tsuda H, et al (2010). Clinicopathological registration committee of the Japanese breast cancer society. Breast Cancer, 17, 118. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-009-0113-0
- Li CY, Zhang S, Zhang XB, et al (2013). Clinicopathological and prognostic characteristics of triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) in Chinese patients: a retrospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3779-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3779
- Lund MJ, Triver KF, Porter PL, et al (2009). Race and triple negative threats to breast cancer survival: a population based study in Atlanta, GA. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 113, 357-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-9926-3
- Ma KK, Chau WW, Wong CH, et al (2013). Triple negative status is a poor prognostic indicator in Chinese women with breast cancer: a ten year review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2109-14. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2109
- Moore MA, Ariyaratne Y, Badar F, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in South Asia- past , present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 49-66.
- National Cancer Registry Programme (NRCP). Three year Report of Population Based Cancer Registries, 2009-2011. (ICMR); Bangalore Pg 55.
- Onitilo AA, Engel JM, Greenlee RT, Mukesh BN (2009). Breast cancer subtypes based on ER/PR and Her2 expression: comparison of clinicopathologic features and survival. Clin Med Res, 7, 4-13. https://doi.org/10.3121/cmr.2008.825
- Perou CM, Sorlie T, Eisen MB, et al (2000). Molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature, 406, 747-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/35021093
- Quiet CA, Ferguson DJ, Weichselbaum RR, Hellman S (1995). Natural history of node negative breast cancer, a study of 826 patients with long term follow up. J Clin Oncol, 13, 1144-51.
- Somali I, Ustaoglu BY, Tarhan MO, et al (2013). Clinicopathologic and demographic evaluation of triple- negative breast cancer patients among a turkish patient population: a single center experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6013-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6013
- Reynolds S (2007). Spotlight: triple -negative breast carcinoma disproportionately affects African American and hispanic women. NCI Cancer Bulletin, 4, 22.
- Ross JS, Fletcher JA, Linette GP, et al (2003). The HER2/neu gene and protein in breast cancer 2003: biomarker and target of therapy. Oncologist, 8, 307-25. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.8-4-307
- Routa S, Jayashree R (2013). Study of ER, PR and HER2 neu on malignant breast lesions and correlation with other prognostic parameters, Int J Gen Med Pharma, 1, 1-8.
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Fan C, et al (2006). Gene expression profiles do not consistently predict the clinical treatment response in locally advanced breast cancer. Mol Cancer Ther, 5, 2914-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-06-0126
- Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Hasie T, et al (2003). Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets. Proc Nact Acad Sci USA, 100, 8418-23. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0932692100
- Sotriou C, Neo S, McShane, et al (2003). Breast cancer classification and prognosis based on gene expression profiles from a population based study. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA, 100, 10393-8. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1732912100
- Takier R, Srivastav A (2008). Time trend in breast and cervix cancer of women in India (1990-2003). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 777-80.
- Tischkowitz M, Brunet JS, Begin LR, et al (2007). Use of immunohistochemical markers can refine prognosis in triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer, 7, 134. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-134
- Wolff A, Hammond ME, Schwartz J, et al (2007). American society of clinical oncology/CAP guideline recommendation for human epidermal growth factor receptor testing in breast carcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 25, 118-45.
- Zafrani B, Leryoer A, Fourquet A, et al (2000). Mammographically detected ductal in situ carcinoma of the breast analyzed with a new classification. A study of 127 cases: correlation with estrogen and progesterone receptors, p53 and c-erb-B2 protein and proliferative activity. Semn Diagn Pathol, 11, 208-14.
- Zubeda S, Kaipa PR, Shaik NA, et al (2013). HER-2/neu status: a neglected marker of breast cancer patients in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2231-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2231
- Clinicopathology Figures and Long-term Effects of Tamoxifen Plus Radiation on Survival of Women with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and Triple Negative Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4863
- Clinical Characteristics in Patients with Triple Negative Breast Cancer vol.2017, pp.2090-3189, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1796145
- The most important questions in cancer research and clinical oncology vol.36, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40880-016-0168-1
- Annexin A2 and its downstream IL-6 and HB-EGF as secretory biomarkers in the differential diagnosis of Her-2 negative breast cancer vol.54, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0004563216665867
- Epidemiological Study of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Patients in North Indian Population: a Hospital-Based Study vol.8, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-017-0642-5
- A Comparative Study of Clinical Profile and Relapse Patterns in TRIPLE-NEGATIVE and Non-Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Curative Intent vol.8, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-017-0634-5
- Triple Negative Breast Cancer: Experience from a North Indian Tertiary Care Center vol.80, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-017-1638-7
- Downregulation of miR-205 contributes to epithelial–mesenchymal transition and invasion in triple-negative breast cancer by targeting HMGB1–RAGE signaling pathway vol.30, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0000000000000705