- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Chemoradiation Related Acute Morbidity in Carcinoma Cervix and Correlation with Hematologic Toxicity: A South Indian Prospective Study
- Kumaran, Aswathy (Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Kasturba Medical College) ;
- Guruvare, Shyamala (Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Kasturba Medical College) ;
- Sharan, Krishna (Department of Radiation Oncology, Kasturba Medical College) ;
- Rai, Lavanya (Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Kasturba Medical College) ;
- Hebbar, Shripad (Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Kasturba Medical College)
- Published : 2014.06.15
Purpose: To assess chemoradiation related acute morbidity in women with carcinoma cervix and to find and correlation between hematologic toxicity and organ system specific damage. Materials and Methods: A prospective study was carried out between August 2012 and July 2013 enrolling 79 women with cancer cervix receiving chemo-radiotherapy. Weekly assessment of acute morbidity was done using the National Cancer Institute Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (NCI CTCAE) version 4 and the toxicities were graded. Results: Anemia [77 (97.5%)], vomiting [75 (94.8%)] and diarrhea [72 (91.1%)], leukopenia [11 (13.9%)], cystitis [28 (35.4%], dermatitis [19 (24.1%)] and fatigue [29 (36.71%)] were the acute toxicities noted. The toxicities were most severe in
- Amouzegar-Hashemi F, Akbari EH, Kalaghchi B, Esmati E (2013). Concurrent chemoradiation with weekly gemcitabine and cisplatin for locally advanced cervical cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5385-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5385
- Bhavaraju VMK, Reed NS, Habeshaw T (2004). Acute toxicity of concomitant treatment of chemoradiation with single agent cisplatin in patients with carcinoma of the cervix. Thai J Physiol Sci, 17, 90-7.
- Ikushima H, Osaki K, Furutani S, et al (2006). Chemoradiation Therapy for Cervical Cancer: Toxicity of concurrent weekly Cisplatin. J Radiation Med, 24, 115-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02493277
- Green JA, Kirwan JM, Tierney JF, et al (2001). Survival and recurrence after concomitant chemotherapy and radiotherapy for cancer of the uterine cervix: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet, 358, 781-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(01)05965-7
- Gunawan R, Nuranna L, Supriana N, Sutrisna B, Nuryanto KH (2012). Acute toxicity and outcomes of radiation alone versus concurrent chemoradiation for locoregional advanced stage cervical cancer Indones. J Obstet Gynecol, 36, 37-42.
- Hu Y, Cai Z, Su X (2012). Concurrent weekly cisplatin versus triweekly cisplatin with radiotherapy in the treatment of cervical cancer: a meta-analysis result. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4301-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4301
- Karnofsky DA, Burchenal JH (1949). The Clinical Evaluation of Chemotherapeutic Agents in Cancer. In: MacLeod CM (Ed), Evaluation of Chemotherapeutic Agents. Columbia Univ Press. Page 196.
- Khalid M, Hussain SI, Kanwal T, Nadeem K (2012). Toxicity profile in cervical cancer patients receiving chemoradiation with concurrent parametrial boost. APMC, 6, 9-12.
- Maduro JH, Pras E, Willemse PH, De Vries EG (2003). Acute and long-term toxicity following radiotherapy alone or in combination with chemotherapy for locally advanced cervical cancer. Cancer Treat Rev, 29, 471-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-7372(03)00117-8
- Mahantshetty UM, Shrivastava S, Roy D, et al (2010). Concomitant chemoradiation in advanced stage carcinoma cervix: A phase III randomised trial. (CRACX Study- NCT 00193791). Int J Radiation Oncol, 78, 141.
- National Cancer Institute Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events v4.0 (2009). NCI, NIH, DHHS.NIH publication # 09-7473.
- Rose P, Bundy B, Watskins E (1999). Concurrent cisplatin-based radiotherapy and chemotherapy for locally advanced cancer. N Engl J Med, 340, 1144-53. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199904153401502
- Tan LT, Russell S, Burgess L (2004). Acute toxicity of chemo-radiotherapy for cervical cancer: the Addenbrooke's experience. J Clin Oncol, 16, 255-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2003.12.004
- Yuenyao P, Chumworathayi B, Luanratanakorn S, et al (2007). Hematologic toxicities of cisplatin concurrent chemoradiation in cervical cancer at Ubonrajchathani Cancer Center. Srinagarind Med J, 22, 127-32.
- Impact of Treatment Time on Chemoradiotherapy in Locally Advanced Cervical Carcinoma vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5075
- High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in Two 9 Gy Fractions in the Treatment of Locally Advanced Cervical Cancer - a South Indian Institutional Experience vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7167
- Assessing Activity Limitation Among Cancer Survivors in Korea Using Data from a Nationwide Survey vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2739
- Acute radiation toxicity during and after concurrent chemoradiotherapy in patients with localy advanced cervical cancer vol.10, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5937/racter10-18049