- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Fish Passage Assessments in the Fishway of Juksan Weir Constructed in the Downstream Area of Youngsan-River Watershed
영산강수계의 죽산보에 설치된 어도에서 어류의 이동성 평가
- Park, Chan-Seo (Department of Biological Sciences, College of Biosciences and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- An, Kwang-Guk (Department of Biological Sciences, College of Biosciences and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.07.03
- Accepted : 2014.08.18
- Published : 2014.08.29
Fish passage asssessments were conducted in the fishway at Juksan Weir, which was constructed as a four-major rivers project in the downstream area of Youngsan-River Watershed. For the research, fish-movements/migrations were analyzed for seven times from April ~ October, 2013 using an approach of fish trap-setting. Fish fauna and compositions were analyzed in the fishway, and seasonal- and diel-movement patterns were analyzed in relation to current velocity in the fishway. Also, abundances of exotic fishes such as bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus), large-mouth bass (Micropterus salmoides), and white curcian carp (Carassius cuvieri) were monitored in the fishway. Current velocity(n = 18) in the fishway showed large variations (
Grant : 어도의 효율성 평가 및 개선방안
Supported by : 영산강.섬진강 수계관리위원회
- An, K. G., Kim, K. I., Kim, J. H., 2007, Biological water quality assessments in wastewater-impacted and non-impacted Streams, Korean J. Limnol., 40(1), 82-92.
- Baxter, R. M., 1977, Environmental effects of dams and impounments, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 8, 255-283. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.08.110177.001351
- Choi, J. Y., Lee, G. J., 2004, Fish Ways at Rivers and Dams: Current Status, and Future Installation and Management, Korea Environment Institute., 65-94.
- Gleick, P. H. 2001, Making every drop count. Scientific American 284(2), 40-46.
- Choi, J. W., An, K. G., 2008, Characteristics of fish compositions and longitudinal distribution in Yeongsan river watershed, Korean J. Limnol., 41(3), 301-310.
- Choi, J. W., Park, C. S., Lim, B. J., Park, J. H., An, K. G., 2013, Fish passage Evaluations in the fishway constructed on Seungchon weir, Korean J. Environ. Sci. Int., 22(2), 215-223. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.2.215
- Fausch, K. D., Young, M. K., 1995, Evolutionary significant units and movement of resident stream fishes: a cautionary tale, Evolution and the aquatic ecosystem: defining unique units in population conservation, Ed. J. L. Nielson, American Fisheries Society, Symposium, 17, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Harris, J. H., 1984, Impoundment of coastal drainages of south-eastern Australia, and a review of its relevance to fish migrations, Aust. Zool, 21, 235-250.
- Kinsolving, A. D., Bain, M. B., 1993, Fish assemblage recoveryalong a riverine disturbance gradient. Ecological Application, 3, 531-544. https://doi.org/10.2307/1941921
- Han, J. H., Ko, D. G., Lim, B. J., Park, J. H., An, K. G., 2012, Summer patterns and diel variations of fish movements using fish trap sampling technique in the Juksan weir, Korean J. Environ. Impact Assessment, 21(6), 879-891.
- Hong, J. S., Seo, I. S., Yoon, K. T., Hwang, I. S., Kim, C. S., 2004, Notes on the benthic macrofauna during september 1997 Namdaecheon estuary, Gangneung, Korea, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 22(2), 341-350.
- Kim, I. S., Kang, E. J., 1993, Colored fishes of Korea, Academy Publishing Co., Ltd., Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, I. S., Park, J. Y., 2002, Freshwater fish of Korea, Kyo-Hak Publishing Co., Ltd., Seoul, Korea.
- KIWE(Korea Institute of Water and Environment), 2008, Monitoring of efficiency on the fish conservation facilities in Jangheung Dam watershed, Korea Water Resource Corporation.
- Ko, D. G., Choi, j. W., Lim, B. J., Park, J. H., An, K. G., 2012, Fish Distribution, Compositions and Community Structure Characteristics during Juksan Weir Construction in Yeongsan River Watershed, Korean J. Environ. Eco., 26(6), 892-901.
- MOE/NIER (Ministry of Environment/National Institute of Environmental Research), 2011, Passage route survey of migratory fishes before and after the construction of weirs and the fishway''s effects. Yeongsan river environment research center, National institute of environmental research, 175pp.
- Lee, J. H., Han, J. H., Lim, B. J., Park, J. H., Shin, J. K., An, K. G., 2013, Comparative analysis of fish fauna and community structures before and after the artificial weir construction in the mainstreams and tributaries of Yeongsan river watershed, Korean J. Limnol., 103-115. https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2013.46.1.103
- Mallen-Cooper, M., Stuart, I. G., Hides-Pearson, F., Harris, J. H. 1995, Fish migration in the Murray River and assessment of the Torrumbarry fishway. Final Report, NRMS Project N002.
- Nilsson, J., Gerritsen, M., Younis, R., 2005, A Novel AdaptiveAnisotropic Grid Framework for Efficient Reservoir Simulation. Paper SPE93243 presented at the SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, The Woodlands,Texas, 31 January-2 February.
- Park, H. J., An, K. G., 2007, Trophic State Index (TSI) and Empirical medels, based on water quality parameters, in Korean reservoirs, Korean J. Limnol., 40(1), 14-30.
- Park, S. B., Lee, J. Y., Jang, M. H., Kim, H. W., Jeong, J. M., Kim, J. W., Joo, G. J., 1999, Water quality and phytoplankton community dynamics in a weir reach of the Yangsan Stream (1993-1996). Korean J. Limnol., 32(4), 331-340.
- Park, L. H., Cho, Y. K., Cho, C., Sun, Y. J., Park, K. Y., 2001, Hydrography and circulation in the Yeongsan River Estuary in Summer, 2000, The Sea, Korean J. Society of Oceanography, 6(4), 218-224.
- Poff, N. L., Hart, D. D., 2002, How dams vary and why it matters for the emerging science of dam removal, BioScience, 52, 659-668. https://doi.org/10.1641/0006-3568(2002)052[0659:HDVAWI]2.0.CO;2
- Sheer, M. B. Steel, E. A., 2006, Lost watersheds: barriers, aquatic habitat connectivity, and salmon persistence in the Willamette and lower Columbia River basins, Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135, 1654-1669. https://doi.org/10.1577/T05-221.1
- Yang, H. J., Kim, K. H., Kum, J. D., 2001, The fish fauna and migration of the fishes in the fish way of the Nakdong river mouth dam, Korean J. Limnol., 34(3), 251-258.
- Yun, S. T., Go, Y. G., Oh, G. H., Mun, B. C., Kim, H. G., 2003, Water quality assesment of the lower Yeongsan River System, Environmental Impact Assessment, 12(4), 259-270.
- The Change of Phytoplankton Community Structure and Water Quality in the Juksan Weir of the Yeongsan River Watershed vol.36, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2018.36.4.591