- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dynamic soil-structure interaction studies on 275m tall industrial chimney with openings
- Jayalekshmi, B.R. (Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka) ;
- Thomas, Ansu (Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Raipur) ;
- Shivashankar, R. (Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka)
- Received : 2013.05.21
- Accepted : 2014.03.20
- Published : 2014.08.29
In this paper, a three dimensional soil-structure interaction (SSI) is numerically simulated using finite element method in order to analyse the foundation moments in annular raft of tall slender chimney structures incorporating the effect of openings in the structure and the effect of soil flexibility, when the structure-soil system is subjected to El Centro (1940) ground motion in time domain. The transient dynamic analysis is carried out using LS-DYNA software. The linear ground response analysis program ProShake has been adopted for obtaining the ground level excitation for different soil conditions, given the rock level excitation. The radial and tangential bending moments of annular raft foundation obtained from this SSI analysis have been compared with those obtained from conventional method according to the Indian standard code of practice, IS 11089:1984. It is observed that tangential and radial moments increase with the increase in flexibility of soil. The analysis results show that the natural frequency of chimney decreases with increase in supporting soil flexibility. Structural responses increase when the openings in the structure are also considered. The purpose of this paper is to propose the need for an accurate evaluation of the soilstructure interaction forces which govern the structural response.
- Shiming, W. and Gang, G. (1998), "Dynamic soil-structure interaction for high-rise buildings", Dynamic Soil-Structure Interaction Current Research in China and Switzerland, Developments in Geotechnical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- The CICIND chimney book (2005), Industrial Chimneys, International Committee on Industrial Chimneys, Switzerland.
- Wilson, J.L. (2003), "Earthquake response of tall reinforced concrete chimneys", Eng. Struct., 25, 11-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00098-6
- Wilson, J.L.(2010), "Performance of tall reinforced concrete chimney structures in the 2010 chilean earthquake", Australian Earthquake Engineering Society Conference, Perth, Western Australia.
- Xu, C. and Spyrakos, C.C. (1996), "Seismic analysis of towers including foundation uplift", Eng. Struct., 18(4), 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00059-3
- Zhang, J. and Tang, Y. (2007), "Radiation damping of shallow foundations on nonlinear soil medium", 4th International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering, UC Los Angeles, Earthquake Engineering, UCLA Civil and Environmental Engineering, June.
- LS-DYNA Ver971 (2009), "LS-DYNA Theory Manual", Livermore Software Technology Corporation, California, USA.
- IS: 4998 (1992), "Indian standard criteria for design of reinforced concrete chimneys", Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi.
- Kramer, S.L. (2004), Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Pearson education, Singapore.
- Kharade, A.S., Kapadiya, S.V. and Belgaonkar, S.L. (2013), "Earthquake analysis of tall sky-pod structures by considering the soil structure interaction effect", Int. J. Emer. Tech. Adv. Eng., 3(1), 447- 454.
- LS-DYNA Ver 971 (2009), "LS-DYNA Keyword user's Manual", Livermore Software Technology Corporation, California, USA.
- Mehta, D. and Gandhi, N.J. (2008), "Time response study of tall chimney under the effect of soil structure and long period earthquake impulse" Proceeding of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, October.
- National Building Code of India (1983), Group 1, Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi.
- Pallare, F.J., Aguero, A. and Martin, M. (2006), "Seismic behaviour of industrial masonry chimneys", Int. J. Solids Struct., 43, 2076-2090. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.06.014
- Pro Shake version 1.1 User's Manual, EduPro Civil Systems, Inc. Redmond, Washington.
- Rajasankar, J., Nagesh, R. Iyer, B. Yerraya Swamy, Gopalakrishnan, N. and Chellapandi, P. (2007), "SSI analysis of a massive concrete structure based on a novel convolution/deconvolution technique." Sadhana, 32(3), 215-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-007-0019-5
- Reddy, K.R.C., Jaiswal, O.R. and Godbole, P.N. (2011), "Wind and earthquake analysis of tall RC chimneys", Int. J. Earthq. Sci. Eng., 04(06), 508-511.
- Reza Tabatabaiefar, S.H., Fatahi, B. and Samali, B. (2013), "Lateral seismic response of building frames considering dynamic soil-structure interaction effects", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(3), 311-321. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.45.3.311
- Sathish Kumar, K. (2012), "Characterization of dynamic soil properties", Advanced Course on Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, CSIR-SERC, Chennai, India.
- Seed, H.B. and Idriss, I.M. (1970), "Soil moduli and damping factors for dynamic response analysis, Report no. UCB/EERC 70-10, University of California, Berkely.
- IS: 11089 (1984), "Code of practice for design and construction of ring foundation", Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi.
- Fatahi, B., Tabatabaiefar, S.H.R. and Samali, B. (2014), "Soil-structure interaction vs Site effect for seismic design of tall buildings on soft soil", Geomech. Eng., 6(3), 293-320. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.6.3.293
- Gharad, A.M. and Sonparote, R.S. (2010), "Soil structure interaction of chimney", Int. J.Civil and Struct. Eng., 1(3), 404-413..
- IS: 1904 (1986), "Design and construction of foundations in soils, General Requirements", Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi.