- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Seismic performance of the historical masonry clock tower and influence of the adjacent walls
- Cakir, Ferit (Department of Architectural, Amasya University) ;
- Uysal, Habib (Department of Civil Engineering, Ataturk University)
- Received : 2013.04.07
- Accepted : 2014.02.21
- Published : 2014.08.29
Ancient masonry towers are regarded as among the most important historical heritage structures of the world. These slender structures typically have orthogonal and circular geometry in plane. These structural forms are commonly installed with adjacent structures. Because of their geometrical shapes and structural constraints, ancient masonry towers are more vulnerable to earthquake damage. The main goal of the paper is to investigate the seismic behavior of Erzurum Clock Tower under earthquake loading and to determine the contribution of the castle walls to the seismic performance of the tower. In this study, four three-dimensional finite element models of the Erzurum Clock Tower were developed and the seismic responses of the models were investigated. Time history analyses were performed using the earthquakes that took place in Turkey in 1983 near Erzurum and in 1992 near Erzincan. In the first model, the clock tower was modeled without the adjacent walls; in the second model, the clock tower was modeled with a castle wall on the south side; in the third model, the clock tower was modeled with a castle wall on the north side; and in the last model, the clock tower was modeled with two castle walls on both the north and south sides. Results of the analyses show that the adjacent walls do not allow lateral movements and the horizontal displacements decreases. It is concluded that the adjacent structures should be taken into consideration when modeling seismic performance in order to get accurate and realistic results.
- NEMC (2012), "National earthquake monitoring center", Bogazici University Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Turkey. http://www.koeri.boun.edu.tr/sismo/Depremler/tLarge2.htm, 03.01.2012.
- Oliveira, C.S., Cakti, E., Stengel, D. and Branco, M. (2012), "Minaret behavior under earthquake loading: The case of historical Istanbul", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., (41),19-39.
- SAP2000, (2012), Integrated Structural Analysis and Design Software, Computers and Structures. Inc., Ver. 15.1.0, 2012, Berkeley - California.
- Seker, B.S. (2011), "Investigation of behaviour of architect sinan's mosques under static and dynamic loads", PhD Thesis, Graduate School of Natural And Applied Sciences, Karadeniz Technical University, Turkey (in Turkish)
- Sezen, H., Acar, R., Dogangun, A. and Livaoglu, R. (2008), "Dynamic analysis and seismic performance of reinforced concrete minaret", Eng. Struct., (30), 2253-2264.
- SGMD (2012), "Strong ground motion database of Turkey", Acceleration Records of Turkey Earthquakes, http://kyhdata.deprem.gov.tr/2K/kyhdata_v4.php, 03.30.2012.
- TEC (2007), Turkish Earthquake Code, Specification for Structures to Be Built in Disaster Areas, Ministry of Environment and Urbanization of Turkey, 2007.
- Uysal, H. and Cakir, F. (2013), "Static and dynamic analyses of the historical erzurum watchtower", TAC Foundation, Foundation for the Preservation of Turkish Monuments an Environmental, 1, 72-80.
- Unay, A.I. (2002), "Seismic Strength of Historical Structures", METU, Architectural Faculty, Ankara, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Camlibel, N. (1998), "The analytically investigate of architect sinan's structures", Associate Professorship Thesis, Graduate School of Natural And Applied Sciences, Istanbul Technical University, 1998, Turkey (in Turkish)
- Carpinteri, A., Invernizzi, S. and Lacidogna, G. (2005), "In situ damage assessment and nonlinear modeling of a masonry tower", Eng. Struct., (27), 387-395.
- Dogangun, A., Acar, R., Sezen H. and Livaoglu, R. (2008), "Investigation of dynamic response of masonry minaret structure", Bull. Earthq. Eng., (6), 505-517.
- Dogangun, A., Ural, A. and Livaoglu, R. (2008), "Seismic performance of masonry buildings during recent earthquakes in turkey", The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, October 12-17, 2008, Beijing - China.
- Gundogdu, H. (2011), "Erzurum: History and Civilization", Erzurum Tarihi Eserler Albumu. Turkiye Yazarlar Birligi Vakfi, Erzurum 2011 Serisi - 1, 2011, Ankara - Turkey (In Turkish).
- Ahunbay, Z. (2009), "Monuments, Earthquakes and repairs", Proceedings of Symposium with International Participation on Strengthening and Preserving Historical Buildings and Cultural Heritage - 2, October 15-16-17, Diyarbakir - Turkey, (In Turkish).
- Bernardeschi, K., Padovani, C. and Pasquinelli, G. (2004), "Numerical modeling of the structural behaviour of Buti's bell tower", J.Cultural Heritage, (5), 371-378.
- Ivorra, S. and Pallares, F.J. (2006), "Dynamic investigations on a masonry bell tower", Eng. Struct., (28), 660-667.
- Lourenco P.B., Vasconcelos G. and Ramos L. (2001), "Assessment of the stability conditions of a Cistercian cloister", Second International Congress of Studies in Ancient Structures, July 7-13, 2001, Istanbul, Turkey.
- MSJC, (2005), Building Code & Specification for Masonry Structures, the Masonry Standards Joint Committee, 2005, ACI 530-05/ASCE 5-05/TMS 402-05.
- Structural performance of renovated masonry low bridge in Amasya, Turkey vol.8, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.6.1387
- Assessing the impact of retrofitting on structural safety in historical buildings via ambient vibration tests vol.164, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.12.154
- Seismic damage evaluation of historical structures during Van earthquake, October 23, 2011 vol.58, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.08.030
- Influence of modified intended use on the seismic behavior of historical himis structures vol.10, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.4.893
- Seismic performance of RC buildings subjected to past earthquakes in Turkey vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.3.483
- Seismic performance evaluation of slender masonry towers: a case study vol.25, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1235