- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Seismic vulnerability assessment of confined masonry wall buildings
- Ranjbaran, Fariman (Deptartment of Civil Engineering, Islamshahr Branch of the Islamic Azad University (IAU)) ;
- Hosseini, Mahmood (Structural Engineering Research Center, International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES))
- Received : 2012.09.14
- Accepted : 2014.03.05
- Published : 2014.08.29
In this paper the vulnerability of the confined masonry buildings is evaluated analytically. The proposed approach includes the nonlinear dynamic analysis of the two-story confined masonry buildings with common plan as a reference structure. In this approach the damage level is calculated based on the probability of exceedance of loss vs a specified ground motion in the form of fragility curves. The fragility curves of confined masonry wall buildings are presented in two levels of limit states corresponding to elastic and maximum strength versus PGA based on analytical method. In this regard the randomness of parameters indicating the characteristics of the building structure as well as ground motion is considered as likely uncertainties. In order to develop the analytical fragility curves the proposed analytical models of confined masonry walls in a previous investigation of the authors, are used to specify the damage indices and responses of the structure. In order to obtain damage indices a series of pushover analyses are performed, and to identify the seismic demand a series of nonlinear dynamic analysis are conducted. Finally by considering various mechanical and geometric parameters of masonry walls and numerous accelerograms, the fragility curves with assuming a log normal distribution of data are derived based on capacity and demand of building structures in a probabilistic approach.
- Ahamad, N., Crowley, H., Pinho, R. and Ali, Q. (2010), "Displacement-based earthquake loss, Assessment of masonry buildings in Mansehra City", Pakistan, J. Earthq. Eng., 14(S1), 1-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632461003651794
- Alcocer, S.M., Ruiz, J., Pineda, A. and Zepeda, A. (1996), "Retrofitting of confined masonry walls with welded wire mesh", Eleventh world conference on earthquake engineering, Elsevier Science, Ltd. paper 1471.
- Belmouden, Y. and P. Lestuzzi (2009), "An equivalent frame model for seismic analysis of masonry and reinforced concrete buildings", Construct. Build. Mater., 23(1), 40-53 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.10.023
- Boreckci, M. and Kircil, M. (2011), "Fragility analysis of R/C frame buildings based on different types of hysteretic model", Struct. Eng. Mech., 39(6), 795-812. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.39.6.795
- Brzev, S. (2007), Earthquake-Resistant Confined Masonry Construction, Kanpur, India: National information center of earthquake engineering (NICEE).
- Calderini, C., Cattari, S. and Lagomarsino, S. (2010), "The use of diagonal compression test to identify the shear mechanical parameters of masonry", Construct. Build. Mater., 24, 677-685. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.11.001
- Cherng, R.H. (2001), "Preliminary study on the fragility curves for steel structures in Taipei", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Seismol., 3, 35-42
- DIANA (2005), DIANA Finite Element Analysis, user's Manual-Element Library, Delft: The Netherland :TNO Building and Construction Research.
- Flores, L.E. and Alcocer, S.M. (1996), "Calculated response of confined masonry structures", In Proceedings of the Eleventh World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Mexico, Elsevier Science, Ltd. paper 1830.
- Haldar, A. and Mahadevan, S. (2000), "Probability, reliability and statistical methods in engineering design", Wiley, New York.
- Jeong, S.H. and Elnashai, A. (2007), "Probabilistic fragility analysis parameterized by fundamental response quantities", Eng. Struct., 29, 1238-1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.06.026
- Karim, K.R. and Yamazaki, F. (2001), "Effect of earthquake ground motions on fragility curves of highway bridge piers based on numerical simulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30, 1839-1856 https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.97
- Lagomarsino, S. and Giovinazzi, S. (2006), "Macroseismic and mechanical models for the vulnerability and damage assessment of current buildings", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 4, 415-443. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-006-9024-z
- Marinilli, A. and Castilla. E. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of confined masonry walls with several confining columnsz", In Proceedings of the Thirteenth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August 1-6, 2004, paper 2129.
- Magenes, G. and Fontana, A. (1998), "Simplified non-linear seismic analysis of masonry buildings", Proceeding Br. Masonry Society, No. 8: 190-195
- Moroni, M.O., Astroza, M. and Tavonatti, S. (1994), "Nonlinear models for shear failure in confined masonry walls", TMS J., 12(2), 72-78.
- Moroni, M.O., Astroza, M. and Acevedo, C. (2004), "Performance and seismic vulnerability of masonry housing types used in Chile", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 18(3),173-179. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2004)18:3(173)
- OpenSees, (2006), "Open sees command language manual, Pacific, Earthquake Engineering Research center", University of California, Berkeley.
- Pagnini, L., Vicente, R., Lagomarsino, S. and Varum, H. (2011), "A mechanical model for the seismic vulnerability assessment of old masonry buildings", Earthq. Struct., 2(1), 25-42 https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.1.025
- Penna, A., Lagomarsino, S. and Galasco, A. (2013), "A nonlinear macroelement model for the seismic analysis of masonry buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2335 https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2335
- Pourazin, K. and Eshghi, S. (2009), "In plane behavior of a confined masonry wall", Masonry Soc. J., 27(1), 21-34
- Ranjbaran, F., Hosseini, M. and Soltani, S. (2012), "Simplified formulation for modeling the nonlinear behavior of confined masonry walls in seismic analysis", Int. J. Architect. Herit., 6, 259-289. https://doi.org/10.1080/15583058.2010.528826
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Negrete, M. (2009), "Drift-based fragility assessment of confined masonry walls in seismic zones", J. Eng. Struct., 18,170-181.
- Shiga, T., Shibata, A., Shibuya, J. and Takahashi, J. (1980), "Performance of the building of faculty of engineering", Tohoko University, Miagi-ken-oki earthquake, 7th WCEE Istanbul, 7, 357-364.
- Takeda, T., SOZEN, M.A. and Nielsen, N.N. (1970), "Reinforced concrete response to simulated earthquake", J. Struct.Eng. Div., ASCE, 96(12), 2257-2573.
- Tomazevich, M. and Klemenk, I. (1997), "Verification of seismic resistance of confined masonry buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(10), 1073-1088 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199710)26:10<1073::AID-EQE695>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Tomazevic, M. (1999), Earthquake Resistance design of masonry buildings, Imperial College press.
- Vaculik, J., Lumantarna, E., Griffith, M., Lam, N. and Wilson, J. (2007), "Dynamic response behavior of unreinforced masonry walls subject to out of plane loading", Australian Earthquake Engineering Society conference, Wollongong, NSW.
- Vasconcelos, G., Polettil, E., Salavessa, E., Jesus, A., Lourenco, P. and Pilaon, P. (2011), "In plane shear behavior of traditional timber walls", SHATIS, 11, International Conference on Structural Health Assessment of Timber Structures, Lisbon Portugal.