- Volume 27 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Partial or Total Replacement of Maize with Alternative Feed Source on Digestibility, Growth Performance, Blood Metabolites and Economics in Limousin Crossbred Cattle
- Shi, F.H. ;
- Fang, L. ;
- Meng, Q.X. ;
- Wu, H. ;
- Du, J.P. ;
- Xie, X.X. ;
- Ren, L.P. ;
- Zhou, Z.M. ;
- Zhou, B.
- Received : 2014.01.23
- Accepted : 2014.04.15
- Published : 2014.10.01
Increasing cost and scarcity of maize has stimulated the use of alternative feed sources (AFS) in the diets of cattle. In this study, we investigated the effects of partial or total replacement of maize on nutrient digestibility, growth performance, blood metabolites, and economics in Limousin crossbred feedlot cattle. Forty-five
Limousin Crossbred Cattle;Alternative Feed Sources;Growing Performance;Nutrient Digestibility;Blood Metabolites
- Wang, Z. H., W. Y. Jiang, Z. Zhong, and L. X. Wang. 2004. Feeding effects on finishing cattle by substituting soybean meal by dry bean curd pulp. J. Yellow Cattle Sci. 30:15-17 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Wang, H. L. and J. F. Cavins. 1989. Yield and amino acid composition of fractions obtained during tofu production. Cereal Chem. 66:359-361.
- Weiss, W. P. 1993. Predicting energy values of feeds. J. Dairy Sci. 76:1802-1811. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77512-8
- Xie, X. X., Q. X. Meng, L. P. Ren, F. H. Shi, and B. Zhou. 2012. Effect of cattle breed.on finishing performance, carcass characteristics and economic benefits under typical beef production system in China. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 11e58:312-316.
- Xiong, Y., S. J. Bartle, and R. L. Preston. 1990. Improved enzymatic method to measure processing effects and starch availability in sorghum grain. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3861-3870.
- Yuan, Y. H., Z. P. Gao, and Y. G. Shi. 2002. Industrialization of Chinese jujube. J. Northwest Sci. Technol. Univ. Agric. Forest. 30:95-98 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Zhou, H. L., M. Fang, Q. Li, H. W. Huang, and P. Xu. 2006. Response of NDF in the diets to the metabolism of carbohydrate and protein of growing bulls. Acta EcoIogiae Animalis Domastici 27:59-64 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Nagalakshmi, D., K. Dhanalakshmi, and D. Himabindu. 2011. Replacement of groundnut cake with sunflower and karanj seed cakes on performance, nutrient utilisation, immune response and carcass characteristics in Nellore lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 97:12-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2011.02.003
- NRC. 1984. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle (6th Ed.). National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 7th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Obeidat, B. S., A. Y. Abdullah, and F. A. Al-Lataifeh. 2008. The effect of partial replacement of barley grains by Prosopis juliflora pods on growth performance, nutrient intake, digestibility, and carcass characteristics of Awassi lambs fed finishing diets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 146:42-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.12.002
- Ponnampalam, E. N., A. R. Egan, A. J. Sinclair, and B. J. Leury. 2005. Feed intake, growth, plasma glucose and urea nitrogen concentration, and carcass traits of lambs fed isoenergetic amounts of canola meal, soybean meal and fish meal with forage based diet. Small Rumin. Res. 58:245-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.10.007
- SAS, 2000. User's Guide: Statistics, Version 8.0. SAS Institute Inc. Carry, NC, USA.
- State Forestry Administration of China. 2011. China Forestry Statistic Yearbook of 2010. Beijing: China Forestry Publishing. (In Chinese with English abstract)
- Vander Pol, K. J., G. E. Erickson, T. J. Klopfenstein, M. A. Greenquist, and T. Robb. 2006. Effect of dietary inclusion of wet distillers grains on feedlot performance of finishing cattle and energy value relative to maize. Nebraska Beef Cattle Rep. MP88-A, 51-53.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non-starch polysacharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Ham, G. A., R. A. Stock, T. J. Klopfenstein, E. M. Larson, D. H. Shain, and R. P. Huffman. 1994. Wet maize distillers byproducts compared with dried maize distillers grains with solubles as a source of protein and energy for ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 72:3246-3257.
- Horn, G. W. and F. T. McCollum. 1987. Energy supplementation of grazing ruminants. In: Proceedings Grazing Livestock Nutrition Conference (Eds. M. B. JudKins, D. C. Clanton, M. K. Petersen, J. D. Wallace). Jackson Hole, WY, USA. pp. 125-136.
- Larson, E. M., R. A. Stock, T. J. Klopfenstein, M. H. Sindt, and R. P. Huffman. 1993. Feeding value of wet distillers byproducts for finishing ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2228-2236.
- Li, J. W., S. D. Ding, P. P. Li, and L. P. Fan. 2009. Study on composition and function of five cultivars of Chinese jujube. Sci. Technol. Food Ind. 30:294-296 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Lin, X. J. 2009. The development and application of non-cereal feed resources in the modern beef cattle industry. North. Livest. 8-9 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Mahgoub, O., I. T. Kadim, D. S. Al-Ajmi, N. M. Al-Saqri, A. S. Al-Abri, A. R. Richie, K. Annamalai, and N. E. Forsberg. 2004. The effect of replacing Rhodes Grass (Chloris gayana) hay with Ghaf (Prosopis cineraria) pods on the performance of Omani native sheep. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 36:281-294. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:TROP.0000016829.63985.2c
- Mahgoub, O., I. T. Kadim, E. H. Johnson, A. Srikandakumar, N. M. Alsaqri, A. S. Al-Abri, and A. Richie. 2005. The use of a concentrate containing meskit (Prosopis juliflora) pods and date palm by-products to replace commercial concentrate in diets of Omani sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 120:33-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.01.011
- McDonald P., R. A. Edwards, J. F. D. Greenhalgh, C. A. Morgan, L. A. Sinclair, and R. G. Wilkinson. 2011. Voluntary intake of food. In: Animal Nutrition (Eds. P. McDonald et al.). 7th Edition. Prentice Hall/Pearson, Harlow, England. pp. 461-477.
- Abo Omar, J. M. 2002. Effect of feeding different levels of sesame oil cake on performance and digestibility of Awassi lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 46:187-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00173-6
- Al Jassim, R. A. M., K. I. Ereifej, R. A. Shipli, and A. Abudabos. 1998. Utilization of concentrate diets containing acorns (Quercus aegilops and Quercus coccifera) and urea by growing Awassi lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 29:289-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(97)00124-7
- Al-Suwaiegh, S., K. C. Fanning, R. J. Grant, C. T. Milton, and T. J. Klopfenstein. 2002. Utilization of distillers grains from the fermentation of sorghum or corn in diets for finishing beef and lactating dairy cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1105-1111.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis.15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemist, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Bampidis, V. A. and P. H. Robinson. 2006. Citrus by-products as ruminant feeds: A Review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 128:175-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.12.002
- Batajoo, K. K. and R. D. Shaver. 1994. Impact of non-fiber carbohydrate on intake, digestion, and milk production by dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:1580-1588. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77100-9
- Bowman, J. G. P. and D. W. Sanson. 1996. Starch- or fiber-based energy supplements for grazing ruminants. In: 3rd Grazing Livestock Nutrition Conference (Eds. M. B. Judkins and F. T. McCollum III). Proc. West. Sect. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. 47 (Suppl. 1):118-135.
- Cruz, G. D., J. A. Rodriguez-Sanchez, J. W. Oltjen, R. D. Sainz. 2010. Performance, residual feed intake, digestibility, carcass traits, and profitability of Angus-Hereford steers housed in individual or group pens. J. Anim. Sci. 88:324-329. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1932
- Eun, J. S., D. R. ZoBell, and R. D. Wiedmeier. 2009. Influence of replacing barley grain with maize-based dried distillers grains with solubles on production and carcass characteristics of growing and finishing beef steers. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 152:72-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.03.011
- Abdullah, A. Y. and B. Y. Abddel hafes. 2004. Inclusion of Prosopis juliflora pods in finishing Awassi lamb diets. In: Proceeding of 11th AAAP Animal Science Congress. September 5-9, 2004; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. pp. 2:373-375.
- Partial replacements of Stylosanthes scabra forage for lucerne in total mixed ration diet of Saanen goats vol.47, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0876-6
- Influence of pasture or total mixed ration on fatty acid composition and expression of lipogenic genes of longissimus thoracis and subcutaneous adipose tissues in Albas White Cashmere Goats pp.1828-051X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2018.1490632
- Potassium and Manganese Fertilization and the Effects on Millet Seed Yield, Seed Quality, and Forage Potential of Residual Stalks vol.09, pp.07, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4236/as.2018.97061
- Effects of palm kernel cake (Elaeis guineensis) on intake, digestibility, performance, ingestive behaviour and carcass traits in Nellore bulls pp.1469-5146, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859618001168