- Volume 27 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Native Pig and Chicken Breed Database: NPCDB
- Jeong, Hyeon-Soo ;
- Kim, Dae-Won ;
- Chun, Se-Yoon ;
- Sung, Samsun ;
- Kim, Hyeon-Jeong ;
- Cho, Seoae ;
- Kim, Heebal ;
- Oh, Sung-Jong
- Received : 2014.01.23
- Accepted : 2014.05.01
- Published : 2014.10.01
Indigenous (native) breeds of livestock have higher disease resistance and adaptation to the environment due to high genetic diversity. Even though their extinction rate is accelerated due to the increase of commercial breeds, natural disaster, and civil war, there is a lack of well-established databases for the native breeds. Thus, we constructed the native pig and chicken breed database (NPCDB) which integrates available information on the breeds from around the world. It is a nonprofit public database aimed to provide information on the genetic resources of indigenous pig and chicken breeds for their conservation. The NPCDB (http://npcdb.snu.ac.kr/) provides the phenotypic information and population size of each breed as well as its specific habitat. In addition, it provides information on the distribution of genetic resources across the country. The database will contribute to understanding of the breed's characteristics such as disease resistance and adaptation to environmental changes as well as the conservation of indigenous genetic resources.
Indigenous (Native) Breeds;Database;Pig;Chicken;Conservation
- Huxel, G. R. 1999. Rapid displacement of native species by invasive species: effects of hybridization. Biol. Conserv. 89:143-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3207(98)00153-0
- Keesing, F., R. D. Holt, and R. S. Ostfeld. 2006. Effects of species diversity on disease risk. Ecol. Lett. 9:485-498. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2006.00885.x
- Loftus, R. and B. Scherf. 1993. World watch list for domestic animal diversity. FAO, United Nations, Rome.
- Moazami-Goudarzi, K., J. Furet, F. Grosclaude, and D. Laloe. 1997. Analysis of genetic relationships between 10 cattle breeds with 17 microsatellites. Anim. Genet. 28:338-345. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.00176.x
- Narrod, C. A. and K. O. Fuglie. 2000. Private investment in livestock breeding with implications for public research policy. Agribusiness 16:457-470. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6297(200023)16:4<457::AID-AGR5>3.0.CO;2-7
- Simm, G. 1998. Genetic Improvement of Cattle and Sheep. Farming Press, Wallingford, UK.
- Sugiyama, M., A. Iddamalgoda, K. Oguri, and N. Kamiya. 2003. Development of livestock sector in Asia: an analysis of present situation of livestock sector and its importance for future development. Gifu City Women's College, Gifu, Japan 52.
- Yang, P. C., R. M. Chu, W. B. Chung, and H. T. Sung. 1999. Epidemiological characteristics and financial costs of the 1997 foot-and-mouth disease epidemic in Taiwan. Vet. Rec. 145:731-734.
- Alexander, D. J. 2000. A review of avian influenza in different bird species. Vet. Microbiol. 74:3-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1135(00)00160-7
- Ayalew, W., J. E. O. Rege, E. Getahun, M. Tibbo, and Y. Mamo. 2003. Delivering systematic information on indigenous animal genetic resources.the development and prospects of DAGRIS. Proceedings of the Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management (TROPENTAG), University of Gottingen, Deutschar. 8-10 October, 2003.
- Baker, R. 1995. Genetics of disease resistance in small ruminants in Africa. ACIAR Monograph Serie 34:119-138.
- Dessie, T., E. Getahun, Y. Mamo, J. Rege, O. Hanotte, and W. Ayalew. 2009. Delivering systematic information on indigenous farm animal genetic resources of developing countries: inclusion of poultry in DAGRIS. In: Village Chickens, Poverty Alleviation and the Sustainable Control of Newcastle Disease (Eds. R. G. Alders, P. B. Spradbrow, and M. P. Young). Proceedings of an international conference held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 5-7 October, 2005. ACIAR Proceedings No. 131 p. 154-159.
- FAO. 2001. Preparation of the first report on the state of the world's animal genetic resources. Guidelines for the Development of Country Reports. http://www.fao.org/dadis/ Accessed on October 1996.
- Gandini, G. and J. Oldenbroek. 1999. Genebanks and the Management of Farm Animal Genetic Resource, DLO Institute for Animal Science and Health (Ed. J. K. Oldenbroek). Lelystad, The Netherlands. pp. 11-32.
- Giovambattista, G., M. V. Ripoli, P. Peral-Garcia, and J. L. Bouzat. 2001. Indigenous domestic breeds as reservoirs of genetic diversity: the Argentinean Creole cattle. Anim. Genet. 32:240-247. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2001.00774.x
- Hall, S. J. and D. G. Bradley. 1995. Conserving livestock breed biodiversity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:267-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-5347(95)90005-5
- Hodges, J. 2003. Livestock, ethics, and quality of life. J. Anim. Sci. 81:2887-2894.