- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Protective Effects of Complex Diet of Korean red ginseng and fish oil on UV-induced Photoaging
홍삼과 어유(魚油) 복합식이에 의한 UV-유도 광노화 억제효과
- Mun, Yeun-Ja ;
- Jeon, Byoung-Kook ;
- Kim, Tae-Hyun ;
- Lee, Jin-Ho ;
- Choi, Hyung-Wook ;
- Lim, Kyu-Sang ;
- Woo, Won-Hong
- Received : 2014.06.26
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.08.25
Objective : UV irradiatiion causes skin-aging involving coarse wrinkles, thickning, dyspigmentation, and rough skin surface. This study was aimed to elucidate the anti-winkle activity of complex diet of Korean red ginseng (RG) and fish oil (FO) on UV-induced Photoaging. Methods : To investigated photo-protective effects of Korean red ginseng and fish oil on UV-induced damaged skins, SKH hairless female mice were randomly divided into six groups [control, UV, UV/RG, UV/FO, UV/RG/FO(low), UV/RG/FO(high)]and orally administered three times a week respectively. UV radiation was applied to the backs of the mice three times a week for 8 weeks. Expressions of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-3, MMP-13 and tissue inhibitor matrix metalloproteinase (TIMP)-1 in skin were measured by immunohistochemical staining. Results : In this study, UVB-induced epidermal hypertropy was diminished by RG group or FO group or complex group of RG and FO. Expression levels of MMP-3 and MMP-13 were reduced and expression level of TIMP-1 was increased by RG group or FO group or complex group of RG and FO. Especially MMP-3 and MMP-13 were markedly reduced by diet of FO and complex diet of RG and FO compared with untreated group. Conclusions : This results suggest that complex diet of RG and FO have a anti-wrinkle activity on UV-induced photo-aging and intrinsic aging.
Korean red ginseng (RG);Fish oil (FO);MMP-3;MMP-13;TIMP-1
- Herold PM, Kinsella JE. Fish oil consumption and decreased risk of cardiovascular disease. A comparison of finding from animal and human feeding trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 1986;107:890.
- Dyerberg J, Bang HO, Stohersen E. Eicosapentaenoic acid and prevention of thrombosis and atherosclesis. Lancen. 1978;2:117.
- Bang HO, Dyerberg J, Hjorne N. The composition of food consumed by Greenland Eskimos. Acta Med. Scand. 1976;69:200.
- Bang HO, Dyerberg J, Sinclair HM. The composition of the Eskimo food in North western Greenland. Am. J Clin Nutr. 1980;33:2657.
- Mori TA, Codde JP, Vandongen R, Beilin LJ. New findings in the fatty acid composition of individual platelet phospholipids in man after dietary fish oil supplementation. Lipids. 1987;22:744. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02533975
- DiNicolantonio JJ, Meier P, O'Keefe JH. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: do formulation, dosage & comparator matter? Mo Med. 2013;110(6):495-8.
- Fisher GJ, Datta S, Talwar HS, Wang ZQ, Varani J, Kang S, et al. Molecular basis of sun-induced premature ageing and retinoid antagonism. Nature 1996;379:335-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/379335a0
- Vincenti MP, Brinckerhoff CE. Transcriptional regulation of collagenase (MMP-1, MMP-13) genes in arthritis: integration of complex signaling pathways for the recruitment of gene-specific transcription factors. Arthritis Res. 2002;4:157-64. https://doi.org/10.1186/ar401
- Yokose U, Hachiya A, Sriwiriyanont P, Fujimura T, Visscher MO, Kitzmiller WJ, et al. The endogenous protease inhibitor TIMP-1 mediates protection and recovery from cutaneous photodamage. Invest. Dermatol. 2012;132(12):2800-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.2012.204
- Vanhoutte D1, Heymans S. TIMPs and cardiac remodeling: 'Embracing the MMPindependent- side of the family'. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2010;48(3):445-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yjmcc.2009.09.013
- Demina NS, Lysenko SV. Collagenolytic enzymes synthesized by microorganism. Mikrobiologiia. 1996;65:293-304.
- Laure RG, Fisher J. UV-light-induced signal cascades and skin aging. Ageing Res Rev. 2002;1:705-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1568-1637(02)00024-7
- Jeroma SP, Gabrielle L, Raul F. Identification of collagen fibrils in scleroderma skin. J Invest Dermatol. 1998;90:48-54.
- Grant NH, Alburn HE. Studies on the collagenases of Clostridium histolyticum. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1959;82:245-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(59)90120-1
- Park SH, Hong YM, Choi YJ, Choi JH, Kim BK. Antiwrinkle Effects of Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) Extracts on UVB-Irradiated Hairless Mouse Skin. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2008;37(9):1136-41. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.9.1136
- So SH, Lee SK, Hwang EI, Koo BS, Han GH, Lee MJ, et al. Mechanism of Korea red ginseng and herb extract(KTNG0345) for anti-wrinkle activity. J Ginseng Res. 2008;32(1):39-47. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2008.32.1.039
- Lee JH, Lee BS, Yang MS, Byun BS, Kim WG, Kim BH, et al. Prevention of Photoaging and Wrinkle Formation in Hairless Mice Dorsal Skin by APB-03. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2005;37(6):989-96.
- Choi KT. Botanical characteristics, pharmacological effects and medical components of Korean Panax ginseng CA Meyer. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2008;29:1109. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7254.2008.00869.x
- Lee SH, Kang JI, Lee SY. Saponin composition and physico-chemical properties of Korean red ginseng extract as affected by extracting conditions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2008;37:256-60. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.256
- Choi, S. Epidermis proliferative effect of the Panax ginseng ginsenoside Rb2. Arch. Pharm Res. 2002;25:71-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02975265
- Lee E.H, Cho SY, Kim SJ, Shin ES, Chang HK, Lee TR. Ginsenoside F1 protects human HaCaT keratinocytes from ultraviolaet-B-induced apoptosis by maintaining constant levels of Bcl-2. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;121:607-13. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1747.2003.12425.x
- Jean LB. Aging skin. Am J Med. 1995;8:S99-103.
Supported by : 원광대학교