- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Oral Administration Effects of Herbal Extracts on Atopic Dermatitis in Balb/c Mice Sensitized by Ovalbumin
Ovalbumin으로 유발된 아토피피부염 모델 마우스에 대한 복합한약추출물 경구투여의 효과
- Received : 2014.07.08
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.08.25
Objective: This study was to evaluate whether herbal mixture (HM-A : Houttuynia cordata Thunberg, Rubus coreanus, Rehmannia glutinosa, Prunus yedoensis, HM-B : Houttuynia cordata Thunberg, Rubus coreanus, Rehmannia glutinosa, Angelica gigas nakai) supresses the development of atopic dermatitis in Balb/c mice sensitized by ovalbumin. Methods: Mice were sensitized by intraperitoneal injection of ovalbumin plus aluminum hydroxide hydrate, followed by epicutaneous sensitization for 6 weeks. After induced atopic dermatitis, HM-A and HM-B were orally administrated for two weeks(once a two days) as a 50 mg/kg concentration. After all mice were sacrificed at the end of the experiment, skin and blood were harvested. Results: Oral administration group was reduced the infiltration of eosinophils, mast cells and total T cells on the skin areas as well as blood analysis. Also, cutaneous expression of IL-4,13,17 decreased. Blood IgE level was decreased. Conclusion: These drugs could be potential candidates for the atopic dermatitis.
Atopic dermatitis;Houttuynia cordata Thunberg;Rubus coreanus;Rehmannia glutinosa;Prunus yedoensis;Angelica gigas nakai;Ovalbumin;Balb/c Mice
- Jonathan M Spergel. Epicutaneous Sensitization with Protein Antigen Induces Localized Allergic Dermatitis and Hyperresponsiveness to Methacholine after Single Exposure to Aerosolized Antigen in Mice. J Clin Invest. 1998;101(8):1614-22. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI1647
- Lee HI, Han TY, Seo SJ, Kim DW, Kim MN, Kim MB, et al. Dermatologic Diseases Associated with Atopic Dermatitis in Koreans: Multicenter Study. Korean J Dermatol. 2010;48(3):191-7.
- Kotani M, Matsumoto M, Fujita A, Higa S, Wang W, Suemura M, et al. Persimmon leaf extract and astragalin inhibit development of dermatitis and IgE elevation in NC/Nga mice. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000;106(1 Pt 1):159-66. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2000.107194
- Park EJ, Park KC, Eo H, Seo J, Son M, Kim KH, et al. Suppression of spontaneous dermatitis in NC/Nga murine model by PG102 isolated from actinida arguta. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127(5):1154-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jid.5700658
- Prussin C, Metcalfe DD. IgE, mast cells, basophils, and eosinophils. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;111(2 Suppl):S486-94. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2003.120
- Pulendran B, Ono SJ. A shot in the arm for mast cells. Nat Med. 2008;14(5):489-90. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0508-489
- Fitzsimmons CM, McBeath R, Joseph S, Jones FM, Walter K, Hoffmann KF, et al. Factors affecting human IgE and IgG responses to allergen-like Schistosoma mansoni antigens: Molecular structure and patterns of in vivo exposure. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2007;142(1):40-50. https://doi.org/10.1159/000095997
- Del Prete G. Human Th1 and Th2 lymphocytes: their role in the pathophysiology of atopy. Allergy. 1992;47(5):450-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.1992.tb00662.x
- Aggarwal S, Gurney AL. IL-17: prototype member of an emerging cytokine family. J Leukoc Biol. 2002;71(1):1-8.
- Harrington LE, Hatton RD, Mangan PR, Turner H, Murphy TL, Murphy KM, et al. Interleukin 17-producing CD4+ effector T cells develop via a lineage distinct from the T helper type 1 and 2 lineages. Nat Immunol. 2005;6(11):1123-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/ni1254
- Ryu MH, Park EK, Kim YH, Lee YA, Lee SH, Hong SJ, et al. Anti-inflammatory Effects of an Ethanolic Extract form Betula Platyphylla. J korean Oriental Med. 2006;27(1):184-95.
- Kim DH, Park JH, Kim JH, Kim CH, You JH, Kwon MC, et al. Enhancement of Immune Activities of Ephedrae Herba and Rubi Fructus at Low Temperature Extraction. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci. 2005;13(3):81-6.
- Kim SB, Kim KJ. The Effects of Rehmannia glutinosa on the Protein Expression Related to the Angiogenesis, Cell Survival and Inflammation. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2006;19(3):22-33.
- Seo HS. The Experimental Study on Anti-inflammation and Anti-oxidation of Indigo Naturalis and Rehmanniae Radix. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2008;21(3):104-10.
- Shin S, Joo SS, Park D, Jeon JH, Kim TK, Kim JS, et al. Ethanol extract of Angelica gigas inhibits croton oil-induced inflammation by suppressing the cyclooxygenase - prostaglandin pathway. J Vet Sci. 2010;11(1):43-50. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2010.11.1.43
- Kim JH, Kim CH, Kim HS, Kwon MC, Song YK, Seong NS, et al. Effect of Aqueous Extracts from Rubus coreanus Miquel and Angelica gigas Nakai on Anti-tumor and Anti-stress activities in mice. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci. 2006;11(4):206-11.
- National Oriental Medical School Dermatology & Surgery Textbook Editing Board. Text of Traditional Korean Dermatology & Surgery. Busan:Sun Wo Publisher. 2007:355-61.
- Nationwide College of Korean Oriental Medicine Joint Instruction Compilation Committe. Bonchohak. 4th ed. Seoul: Yeongrimsa. 1998:190, 630, 212, 578.
- Leung DY, Boguniewicz M, Howell MD, Nomura I, Hamid QA. New insights into atopic dermatitis. J Clin Invest. 2004;113(5):651-67. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI21060
- The Department of Dermatology of Seoul National University College of Medicine. Dermatology for Medical Students. Korea Medical Book. 2006:30.
- Udo Herz, Rita Bunikowski, Harald Renz. Role of T cells in atopic dermatitis. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 1998;115:179-90. https://doi.org/10.1159/000023899
- Leiferman KM, Ackerman SJ, Sampson HA, Haugen HS, Venencie PY, Gleich GJ. Dermal deposition of eosinophil-granule major basic protein in atopic dermatitis: comparison with on chocerciasis. N Engl J Med. 1985;313(5):282-5. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198508013130502
- Cheng JF, Ott NL, Peterson EA, George TJ, Hukee MJ, Gleich GJ, et al. Dermal eosinophils in atopic dermatitis undergo cytolytic degeneration. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1997;99(5):683-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(97)70031-9
- Jonathan M Spergel, Emiko Mizoguchi, Hans Oettgen, Atul K Bhan, and Raif S Geha. Roles of TH1 and TH2 cytokines in a murine model of allergic dermatitis. J Clin Invest. 1999;103(8):1103-11. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI5669
- Nakazawa M, Sugi N, Kawaguchi H, Ishii N, Nakajima H, Minami M. Predominance of type cytokine-producing CD4+ and CD8+ cells in patients with atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1997;99(5):673-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(97)70030-7
- Lee JS, Kim IS, Kim JH, Kim JS, Kim DH, Yun CY. Suppressive effects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb (Saururaceae) extract on Th2 immune response. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;117(1):34-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2008.01.013
- Lee HJ, Kim KJ. The Effects of Houttuyniae Herba on the Mast Cell-mediated Inflammatory Responses. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2009;22(2):60-73.
- Yang HM, Lim SS, Lee YS, Shin HK, Oh YS, Kim JK. Comparison of the Antiinflammatory Effects of the Extracts from Rubus coreanus and Rubus occidentalis. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2007;39(3):342-7.
- Cha HS, Park MS, Park KM. Physiological activities of Rubus coreanus Miquel. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2001;33:409-15.
Supported by : 가천대학교