- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influencing factors for abrasive flow rate and abrasive flow quality of abrasive injection waterjet systems for tunnel excavation
터널굴착용 투입형 연마재 워터젯 시스템의 연마재 투입량과 유동성에 미치는 영향 인자
- Joo, Gun-Wook (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Oh, Tae-Min (Underground Space Department, KIGAM) ;
- Cho, Gye-Chun (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST)
- Received : 2014.07.09
- Accepted : 2014.07.25
- Published : 2014.07.31
A new rock excavation method using an abrasive waterjet system is under development for efficiently creating tunnels and underground spaces in urban areas. In addition, an appropriate abrasive flow rate and abrasive flow quality are important for the new rock excavation (cutting) method using an abrasive waterjet system. This study evaluated the factors influencing the abrasive flow rate and abrasive flow quality, specifically the abrasive pipe height, length, tortuosity and inner diameter, through experimental tests. Based on the experimental test results, this study suggested optimal conditions for the abrasive flow rate and abrasive flow quality. The experimental results can be effectively utilized as baseline data for rock excavation methods using an abrasive waterjet system in various construction locations such as tunnels near urban surroundings, utility tunnels, and shafts.
Grant : 지하암반내 열에너지 저장을 위한 핵심기술 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- Aydin, G., Karakurt, I., Aydiner, K. (2011), "Performance optimization of abrasive waterjet technology in granite cutting." Proceeding of the American Water Jet Conference, Houston, U.S.A., Paper F2.
- Chalmers, E.J. (1991), "Effect of parameter selection on abrasive waterjet performance." Proceeding of the American Water Jet Conference, Houston, U.S.A., Paper 25.
- Daedeok Innopolis Foundation (2014), Development of Frame-rail based Waterjet Pre-cutting Equipment for Minimizing Blasting Vibration (at least 50% for Vertical Direction) on Tunnel, Final Report for Daedeok Innopolis Technology Commercialization Project, pp. 115-119.
- Hashish, M. (1984), "A modeling study of metal cutting with abrasive waterjets." Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 106, pp. 88-100. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225682
- Hashish, M. (2011), "AWJ cutting with reduced abrasive consumption." Proceeding of the American Water Jet Conference, Houston, U.S.A., Paper A4.
- Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information (KISTI) (2003), Research for application of high water pressure technology, KISTI technical report, pp. 1-13.
- Lee, C.I. (2012), "Application of Water Jet Technology to Industry-Current State, Research Trend and Prospect." the Korean Institute of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineers, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 226-238.
- Momber, A.W., Kovacevic, R. (2000), "Particle-size distribution influence in high-speed erosion of aluminium." Wear, 18, pp. 199-212.
- Oh, T.M. (2012), "Rock excavation using abrasive waterjet", Ph.D. Thesis, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Dae-jeon, Republic of Korea, pp. 41-75.
- Oh, T.M., Cho, G.C. (2012a), "Effect of abrasive waterjet parameters on rock removal." Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 421-435. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2012.14.4.421
- Oh, T.M., Cho, G.C. (2012b), "Effect of geometric parameters of a combined nozzle for rock cutting using an abrasive waterjet." Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 517-528. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2012.14.5.517
- Oh, T.M., Cho, G.C., Ji, I.T. (2013), "Effects of free surface using waterjet cutting for rock blasting excavation." Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 49-57. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2013.15.1.049
- Oh, T.M., Cho, G.C. (2014), "Characterization of effective parameters in abrasive waterjet rock cutting." Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 745-756. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-013-0434-3
- Summers, D.A. (1995), Waterjetting Technology, E & FN Spon, pp. 419-468.
- Sunwoo, C., Choi, B.H., Ryu, C.H. (1994), "A study on the slot cutting in granite by high speed water jet." Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 92-101.
- Woodward, M.J. (1993), "Water soluble abrasives." Proceeding of the American Water Jet Conference, Seattle, U.S.A., Paper 28.
- Wright, D.E., Summers, D.A. (1993), "Performance enhancement of diadrill operations." Proceeding of the American Water Jet Conference, Seattle, U.S.A., Paper 39.
- Variation of abrasive feed rate with abrasive injection waterjet system process parameters vol.17, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2015.17.2.141