- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Petrological and Mineralogical Characteristics and Firing Temperature of Pottery in the 5-6th Century from Changnyeong, Gyeongsangnamdo
경상남도 창녕에서 출토된 5-6세기 토기의 암석광물학적 특성 연구 및 소성온도 추정
- Received : 2014.03.05
- Accepted : 2014.06.16
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study is conducted to investigate mineralogical characteristics and estimate firing temperature and condition of earthenwares in the 5-6th Century which are found at ancient tombs in Gyo-dong, Gyo-ri, Changnyeong-eup, Changnyeong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do, TKorea by applying petrological methods. For this study, mineralogical analysis, microtexture observation and chemical analysis were conducted. According to observations using a polarization microscope, the potshreds are mainly composed of quartz and feldspar and consist of some felsic volcanics, tempers, opaques and mullite, hematite and spinel were found under XRD and FTIR analysis. The flow pastes are observed in many potshreds, and it indicate that this textures made by the mixing process or the pottery made from the mixture of 2 sorts of clays at least. They dose not show the features of the potshreds firing under temperature of
earthenware;firing temperature;firing condition;mullite
- Lee, M.S., Lee, G.J., and Lee, C.H. (2005) Archaeological Analysis and Interpretation of the Pottery from the Jagaeri Prehistoric Site, Dangjin, Korea. Journal of Conservation Science, 166-171.
- Lee, W.E., Souza, G.P., McConville, C.J., Tarvornpanich, T., and Iqbal, Y. (2007) Mullite formation in clays and clay-derived vitreous ceramics. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 28, 465-471.
- Palanivel, R. and Kumar, U.R. (2009) Thermal and Spectroscopic Analysis of Ancient Potteries. Romanian Journal of Physics, 56, 195-208.
- Palanivel, R. and Kumar, U.R. (2011) The minera logical and fabric analysis of ancient pottery artifacts. Ceramica, 57, 56-62. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0366-69132011000100008
- Ravisankar, R., Kiruba, S., Eswaran, G., and Chandrasekaran, A. (2010) Mineralogical Characterization Studies of Ancient Potteries of Tamilnadu, India by FT-IR Spectroscopic Technique. E-Journal of Chemistry, 7, 185-190. https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/623298
- Rice, P.M. (1996) Recent Ceramic Analysis: 1. Function, Style, and Origins. Jounal of Archaeological Research, 4, 133-163. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02229184
- Rutherford, J.S., Almond, M.J., and Nunn, P.D. (2012) Analysis of pottery samples from Bourewa, the earliest known Lapita site in Fiji. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 85, 155-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2011.09.050
- Schiffer, M.B. and Skido, J.M. (1987) Theory and Experiment in the Study of Technological Change. Current Anthropology, 28, 595-622. https://doi.org/10.1086/203601
- Velraj, G. et al. (2008) Estimation of firing temperature of some archaeological pottery shreds excavated recently in Tamilnadu, India, Spectrochimica Acta Part A. Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 72, 730-733.
- Yu, H.J. and Yun, Y.Y. (2001) Easy History of Korean Pottery. Hakgojae, 76p.
- Choi, M.L., Shin, S.J., and Lee, D.Y. (1996) Archaeology and Nature Science - Pottery. Seoul National University Press, 504p.
- Gim, R.H., Lee, S.M., Jang, S.Y., and Lee, C.H. (2009) Interpretation of Firing Temperature and Material Characteristics of the Potteries Excavated from the Nongseori Site in Giheung, Korea. Journal of Conservation Science, 25, 255-271.
- Jang, S.Y., Moon, E.J., Lee, C.H., and Lee, G.G. (2012) Production Characteristics and Post-depositional Influence of Iron Age Pottery from Chipyeongdong Site in Gwangju, Korea. Economic and Environmental Geology, 45, 157-167. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2012.45.2.157
- Jang, S.Y., Lee, G.G., Moon, H.S., and Lee, C.H. (2009) Interpretation of Material Provenance and Production Techniques of Pottery and Kilns from Gundong and Majeon Sites in the 3rd Century at Yeonggwang, Korea. Journal of Conservation Science, 25, 101-114.
- Kim, J.Y., Park, J.Y., Park, D.S., and Lee, C.H. (2010) Material Characteristics and Clay Source Interpretation of Crucible in Baekje Kingdom Excavated from the Ssangbukri Site in Buyeo, Korea. Journal of Conservation Science, 26, 1.
- Kim, K.W. and Lee, Y.J. (1969) Geologic map of Korea, Changnyeong sheet (1:50,000). Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources.
- Kim, N.J. and Lee, H.K. (1964) Geologic map of Korea, Yeongsan sheet (1:50,000). Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources.
- Kim, R.H., Lee, S.M., Jang, S.Y., and Lee, C.H. (2009) Interpertation of Firing Temperature and Material Characteristics of the Potteries Excavated from the Nongseori Site in Gigeung, Korea. Journal of Conservation Science, 25, 255-271.
- Lee, H.M., Yang, D.Y., Koo, J.J., Kim, J.Y., Han, C.H., and Choi, S.W. (2004) Manufacturing Techniques and Provenance of Earthen Wares in Daecheonri Prehistory Site of Okcheon Country, Korea. The Korean Journal of Quaternary Research, 18, 1-20.
- Abbott, D.R., Lack, A.D., and Hackbarth, M.R. (2008) Provenance and Microprobe Assays of Phyllite- Tempered Ceramics from the Uplands of Central Arizona. Geoarchaeology. Geoarchaeology, 23, 213-242. https://doi.org/10.1002/gea.20212
- Choi, M.L. (1981) Analysis of Plain Coarse Pottery from Cholla Province, and the Implication for Ceramic Technology and so-called Yeongsan River Valley Culture Area. The Korean Archaeological Society, 10-11, 261-276.
- Study on Mineralogical Characteristics and Firing Condition of the 4-6th Century Earthenware Excavated from the Seonggok-ri, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2016.29.3.123