- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Failure in Product Design Experiments by using Product Data Analytics
제품자료 분석을 통한 제품설계 실험 실패 요인 분석
- Do, Namchul (Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Gyeongsang National University, ERI)
- 도남철 (경상대학교 산업시스템공학부/공학연구원)
- Received : 2013.10.22
- Accepted : 2014.03.02
- Published : 2014.08.15
This study assessed and analysed a result of a product design experiment through Product Data Analytics (PDA), to find reasons for failure of some projects in the experiment. PDA is a computer-based data analysis that uses Product Data Management (PDM) databases as its operational databases. The study examines 20 product design projects in the experiment, which are prepared to follow same product development process by using an identical PDM system. The design result in the PDM database is assessed and analysed by On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) and data mining tools in PDA. The assesment and analysis reveals the lateness in creation of 3D CAD models as the main reason of the failure.
- Dixon, J. R. (1988), On Research Methodology Towards A Scientific Theory of Engineering Design, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering, Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI-EDAM), 1(3), 145-157.
- Do, N. (2007), Introduction to PLM and Its Applications, Saengreung Press, Seoul Korea.
- Do, N. (2013a), An Information System Architecture for Extracting Key Performance Indicators from PDM Databases, Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, 39(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2013.39.1.001
- Do, N. (2013b), Developing an Introductory Training Course to PLM, Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 18(1), 28-35. https://doi.org/10.7315/CADCAM.2013.28
- Finger, S. and Dixon, R. (1998), A Review of Research in Mechanical Engineering Design. Part I : Descriptive, Prescriptive, and Computer-Based Models of Design Process, Research in Engineering Design, 1, 51-67.
- Han, J. and Kamber, M. (2001), Data Mining Concepts and Techniques, Morgan Kaufmann.
- Mayer-Schonberger, V. and Cukier, K. (2013), Big Data : A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think, Eamon Dolan/oughton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Microsoft (2013), Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Service, http://microsoft.com/sql.
- O'Donnell, F. J. and Duffy, A. H. B. (2005), Design Performance, Springer-Verlag, London.
- Tatikonda, M. V. (2007), Product Development Performance Measurement, chapter in The Handbook of New Product Development, edited by Loch, C. and Kavadias. S., Elesevier Publishers, London, United Kingdom.
- Ulrich, T. K. and Eppinger, D. S. (2000), Product Design and Development 2nd ed, McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Yoshikawa, H. (1983), Automation of Thinking in Design, Proc. of Computer Applications in Production and Engineering, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 405-417.