- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Intention to Use Security Functions in SNS
소셜 네트워크 서비스의 보안기능 사용의도에 영향을 미치는 요인 : Facebook을 중심으로
Kim, Hyeob;Kim, Kyung Kyu;Lee, Ho
- Received : 2014.01.24
- Accepted : 2014.04.04
- Published : 2014.06.30
Social networking service (SNS) is a service that allows people to share information, manage relationships with others, and express themselves on the Internet. The number of SNS users have increased explosively with the growth of mobile devices such as smartphones. As the influence of SNS has grown extensively, potential threats to privacy have also become pervasive. The purpose of this study is to empirically examine the main factors that affect users' intentions to use security functions provided by their SNS. The main theories for this study include the rational choice theory and the theory of planned behavior. This study has identified the factors that affect intention to use security functions. In addition, security function awareness and information security awareness are found to be important antecedents for intention to use security functions. The results of this study implies that when SNS providers develop security policies, they should consider the ways to improve users information security awareness and security function awareness simultaneously.
Social Networking Service;Facebook;Safety of Information;Privacy Concern;Security Vulnerability;Information Security Awareness;Security Function Awareness
- McCarthy, B., "New Economics of Sociological Criminology", Annual Review of Sociology, Vol.28, No.1(2002), pp.417-442. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.soc.28.110601.140752
- Mohamed, N. and I. H. Ahmad, "Privacy measures awareness, privacy setting use and information privacy concern with Social Networking Sites", In Research and Innovation in Information Systems(ICRIIS), International Conference on IEEE, (2011), pp. 1-6.
- Nunnally, J. C., Psychometric Theory, Mc-Graw-Hill, New York, 1978.
- Paternoster, R. and G. Pogarsky, "Rational Choice, Agency and Thoughtfully Reflective Decision Making : The Short and Long- Term Consequences of Making Good Choices", Journal of Quantitative Criminology, Vol.25, No.2(2009), pp.103-127. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10940-009-9065-y
- Peltier, T. R., Information Security Risk Analysis(2nd ed.), Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, 2005.
- Shu, W. and Y. H. Chuang, "The perceived benefits of six-degree-separation social networks", Internet Research, Vol.21, No.1(2011), pp.26-45. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662241111104866
- Tuunainen, V. K., O. Pitkanen, and M. Hovi, "Users' Awareness of Privacy on Online Social Networking sites-Case Facebook", 22nd Bled eConference eEnablement : Facilitating an Open, Effective and Representative eSociety, Bled, Slovenia, (2009), pp. 1-16.
- Wang, Y. D. and H. H. Emurian, "An overview of online trust : Concepts, elements, and implications", Computers in human behavior, Vol.21, No.1(2005), pp.105-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2003.11.008
- West, R., "The Psychology of Security", Communications of the ACM, Vol.51, No.4 (2008), pp.34-40.
- Zikmund, W. G., J. C. Carr, and M. Griffin, Business research methods, Cengage Brain, com, 2012.
- DeLone, W. H. and E. R. McLean, "Information systems success : the quest for the dependent variable", Information systems research, Vol.3, No.1(1992), pp.60-95.
- Fishbein, M. and I. Ajzen, Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior : An introduction to theory and research, Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- Fogel, J. and E. Nehmad, "Internet social network communities : Risk taking, trust, and privacy concerns", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.25, No.1(2009), pp.153-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.08.006
- Gefen, D., D. W. Straub, and M. C. Boudreau, "Structural Equation Modeling and Regression : Guidelines for Research Practices", Communications of AIS, Vol.4, No.7 (2000), pp.1-79.
- Hewett, K. and W. O. Bearden, "Dependence, trust, and relational behavior on the part of foreign subsidiary marketing operations : implications for managing global marketing operations", The Journal of Marketing, (2001), pp.51-66.
- Kim, H. W., H. C. Chan, and S. Gupta, "Value-based adoption of mobile internet : an empirical investigation", Decision Support Systems, Vol.43, No.1(2007), pp.111-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2005.05.009
- Kwon, O. and Y. Wen, "An empirical study of the factors affecting social network service use", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.26, No.2(2010), pp.254-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.04.011
- Laudon, K. C. and J. P. Laudon, Management information systems : managing the digital firm, Pearson, Vol.12(2012).
- Lee, S., Oh, Y. Kang, and Y. Lee, "Design principles of social network based learning based on analysis of participation motivation of social network", The Korean Association of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol.23, No.4(2011), pp.729-754.
- Ajzen, I. and D. Albarracin, Chapter 1 : Predicting and Changing Behavior : A Reasoned Action Approach, in Prediction and Change of Health Behavior : Applying the Reasoned Action Approach, I. Ajzen, D. Albarracin, and R. Hornik(eds.), Hillsdale, NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates, 2007.
- Barclay, D., C. Higgins, and R. Thompson, "The Partial Least Squares(PLS) Approach to Causal Modelling : Personal Computer Adoption and Use as an Illustration", Technology Studies, Vol.2, No.2(1995), pp.285-309.
- Bhattacherjee, A. and G. Premkumar, "Understanding changes in belief and attitude toward information technology usage : a theoretical model and longitudinal test", MIS Quarterly, Vol.28, No.2(2004), pp.229-254. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148634
- Bhattacherjee, A. and C. Sanford, "Influence processes for information technology acceptance : an elaboration likelihood model", MIS Quarterly, (2006), pp.805-825.
- Boyd, D. M. and N. B. Ellison, "Social Network Sites : Definition, History, and Scholarship", Journal of Computer-mediated Communication, Vol.13, No.1(2007), pp.210-230. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00393.x
- Bulgurcu, B., H. Cavusoglu, and I. Benbasat, "Information security policy compliance : an empirical study of rationality-based beliefs and information security awareness", MIS Quarterly, Vol.34, No.3(2010), pp.523-548. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750690
- Caruso, J. B. and G. Salaway, "The ECAR study of undergraduate students and information technology, 2008", Retrieved December, 8, 2007.
- Churchill Jr, G. A., "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.16, No.1(1979), pp.64-73. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150876
- Culnan, M. J., "How did they get my name? : An exploratory investigation of consumer attitudes toward secondary information use", MIS Quarterly, Vol.17, No.3(1993), pp.341-363. https://doi.org/10.2307/249775
- Culnan, M. J. and P. K. Armstrong, "Information Privacy Concerns, Procedural Fairness, and Impersonal Trust : An Empirical Investigation", Organization Science, Vol.10, No.1(1999), pp.104-115. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.10.1.104
- 심은선, 이정훈, 정법근, "기업 SNS 이용자(고객)의 지속적 사용의도에 관한 연구 : Facebook 팬페이지 운영 목적을 조절변수로", 한국IT서비스학회지, 제12권, 제4호(2013), pp.41-57. https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2013.12.4.041
- 한국인터넷진흥원, 페이스북 이용자를 위한 개인정보보호 안내서, 2012.
- 한국인터넷진흥원, 2012년 정보보호 실태조사(개인편), 2013.
- 한국정보보호진흥원, 온라인 소셜 네트워크 (Social Network) 환경에서의 보안 위협과 시사점, 2008.
- Acquisti, A. and R. Gross, "Imagined communities : Awareness, information sharing, and privacy on the Facebook", In Privacy enhancing technologies, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, (2006), pp.36-58.
- Aimeur, E., S. Gambs, and A. Ho, "Towards a privacy-enhanced social networking site. In Availability, Reliability, and Security", ARES International Conference on IEEE, (2010), pp.172-179.
- Ajzen, I., From intentions to actions : A theory of planned behavior, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1985.
- Ajzen, I., "The theory of planned behavior", Organizational behavior and human decision processes, Vol.50, No.2(1991), pp.179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Ajzen, I. and M. Fishbein, "Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behavior", Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.22(1980), pp.453-474.