- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Applying Lean, Green, and Six-Sigma Framework to Improve Exterior Construction Process in Saudi Arabia
- Banawi, Abdul-Aziz (Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Pittsburgh) ;
- Bilec, Melissa (Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Pittsburgh)
- Received : 2013.06.04
- Accepted : 2014.01.20
- Published : 2014.06.01
Over the last decade, Saudi Arabia has experienced significant economic increases as evidenced by the 30% growth in its gross domestic product; furthermore, the construction industry has increased 10% in the same time period. Due to this significant growth, the construction industry is encountering issues related to construction quality resulting in significant waste and associated environmental impacts. In this research, we applied our previously developed framework that integrates three different methods-Lean, Green, and Six-sigma - to a residential construction complex in Saudi Arabia. Our aim of this case study was to explore the application of the framework in practice to glean quantitative results and further validate the framework. In the case study, we used the developed framework to identify a significant issue related to quality and delays - final completion of 53 residential units was delayed because of failed exterior buildings surfaces. We then used the framework to define the causes behind the defects via a field investigation of the 53 units. Of the defect, construction execution was responsible for 43% of the defect, 31% untrained workers, 19% unfavorable construction weather condition, with 7% accounting for other issues. A procedure was developed in concert with the construction manager and overall developer reducing the amount of rework and waste causes revealed by the field examination and the framework. Although two steps were added to the original construction process to overcome waste causes, still save a lot of resources and reduces environmental impact. In summary, we found that the Lean, Green, Six-sigma framework increased productivity, quality, and reduced waste.
Saudi Arabia Construction Industry;Construction Processes Improvement;Value Stream Mapping;Life Cycle Assessment;Six-Sigma
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Buildings and their Impact on the Environmental: A Statistical Summary", Washington, DC, 2009.
- Saudi National Commercial Bank, "In Focus Report, Saudi Construction Sector Review", Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 2011.
- Saudi Arabia - Ministry of Finance, "Recent Economic Developments and Highlights of Fiscal Years 1431/1432 (2010) &1432/1433 (2011)", Ryadh, Saudi Arabia, 2011.
- Saudi Arabia - Ministry of Economy and Planning, "Saudi Arabia: Economic Indicators (2004 - 2011)", Riyadh, SA, 2012.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Construction and Demolition Materials Amounts", Washington, DC: 1-27, 2003.
- Portland Cement Association, "Cement Industry Overview", http://www.cement.org/econ/industry.asp.
- M. Al-Jarallah, "Construction Industry in Saudi Arabia", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 355-368, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1983)109:4(355)
- S. Assaf, S. Al-Hejji, "Causes of Delay in Large Construction Projects ", International Journal of Project Management, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 349-357, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.11.010
- A. Al-Sudairi, "Evaluating the Effect of Construction Process Characteristics to the Applicability of Lean Principles ", Construction Innovation, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 99-121, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/14714170710721322
- W. James, D. Jones, "Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation New York", NY, FREE PRESS, 2003.
- M. Al-Nagadi, "Concrete Construction Industry-Cement Based Materials and Civil Infrastructure", Paper presented at the International Workshop - Cement Based Materials and Civil Infrastructure Pakistan, 2007.
- A. Banawi, M. Bilec, "A Framework to Improve Construction Processes: Integrating Lean, Green, and Six-Sigma", International Journal of Construction Management (Under review), vol. 14, no. 1, 2013.
- O. Salem, J. Solomon, M. ASCE, A. Genaidy, I. Minkarah, M. ASCE, "Lean Construction: From Theory to Implementation", Journal of Management in Engineering, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 168-175, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0742-597X(2006)22:4(168)
- T. Ohno, "Toyota Production System", 1st ed, Tokyo, Japan Diamond, Inc., 1990.
- N. Sayer, B. Williams, "Lean for Dummies WILEY", 2007.
- R.J. Arbulu, I.D. Tommelein, "value stream analysis of construction supply chains: case study on pipe supports used in power plants", International Group for Lean Construction University of California, 2002.
- International Organization for Standardization. "Iso 14040 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment Principles and Framework" Switzerland, 2006.
- Y. Kwak, F.T. Anbari, "Benefits, Obstacles, and Future of Six Sigma Approach.", Technovation, vol. 26, no. 56, pp. 708-15, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2004.10.003
- P. Pande, R. Neuman, R. Cavanagh, "The Six Sigma Way: How Ge, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance" 1st ed, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000.
- J.W. Kolarik, "Creating Quality", 1st ed, New York McGraw-Hill, 1995.
- G. Howell, G. Ballard, "Implementing Lean Construction: Understanding and Action ", 1998.
- C. Formoso, L. Soibelman, C. Cesare, E. Isatto, "Material Waste in Building Industry: Main Causes and Prevention", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 316-25, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2002)128:4(316)
- D. Love, J. Edwards, Z. Irani, D. Walker, "Project Pathogens: The Anatomy of Omission Errors in Construction and Resource Engineering Project.", Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 425-35, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2008.927774
- B. Bossink, H. Brouwers, "Construction Waste: Quantification and Source Evaluation", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 1996.
- W.G. Chase, "Improving Construction Methods: A Story About Quality", Journal of Management in Engineering, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 30, 1998.
- L. Ekanayake, G. Ofori, "Construction Material Waste Source Evaluation.", Paper presented at the Strategies for a Sustainable Built Environment, 2000.
- S. Alfredo, L.F. Alarcun, "Construction Process Improvement Methodology for Construction Projects.", International Journal of Project Management, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 215-21, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(97)00052-5
- L. Wang, "Enhancing construction quality inspection and management using RFID technology ", Automation in Construction - ELSEVIER, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 467-479, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2007.08.005
- A. David, H.M. Gunaydin, "Total Quality Management in the Construction Process.", International Journal of Project Management, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 235-43, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(96)00076-2
- S. Ganesan, "Construction Productivity ", Habitat INTL, vol. 8, pp. 29-42, 1984.
- C. Poon, A. Yu, L. Jaillon, "Reducing Building Waste at Construction Sites in Hong Kong ", Construction Management and Economics, vol. 22, pp. 461-70, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144619042000202816
- D. Garrett, L. Lee, "Lean Construction Submittal Process.", Quality Engineering, Taylor & Francis, vol. 23, pp. 84-93, 2011.
- A.R. Lapinski, J.H. Michael, R.R. David, "Lean Processes for Sustainable Project Delivery", ASCE, vol. 132, 2006.
- M. Bilec, R. Ries, H. Matthews, "Life-Cycle Assessment Modeling of Construction Processes for Buildings.", Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 199-205, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000022
- F. Pasqualini, P.A. Zawislak, "Value Stream Mapping in Construction: A Case Study in a Brazilian Construction Company", in Supply Chain Management-International Group for Lean Construction, Sydney, pp. 117-25, 2005.
- Y. Haitao, T. Tweed, M. Al-Hussein, R. Nasseri, "Development of Lean Model for House Construction Using Value Stream Mapping.", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 135, no. 8, pp. 782-90, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2009)135:8(782)
- B. Melissa, R. Ries, H.S. Matthews, A.L. Sharrard, "Example of a Hybrid Life-Cycle Assessment of Construction Processes" ASCE , 2006.
- G.A. Acree, A. Horvath, "Comparison of Environmental Effects of Steel- and Concrete-Framed Buildings.", Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 93-101, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(2005)11:2(93)
- A. Sharrard, H. Matthews, R. Ries, "Estimating Construction Project Environmental Effects Using an Input-Output-Based Hybrid Life-Cycle Assessment Model.", Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 327-36, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(2008)14:4(327)
- L. Xiaodong, Y. Zhu, Z. Zhang, "An Lca-Based Environmental Impact Assessment Model for Construction Processes.", Building and Environment, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 766-75, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2009.08.010
- S. Han, M. Chae, K. Im, H. Ryu, "Six Sigma-Based Approach to Improve Performance in Construction Operations.", Journal of Management in Engineering, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 21-31, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0742-597X(2008)24:1(21)
- L. Pheng, M. Hui, "Implementing and Applying Six Sigma in Construction.", Journal of Construction Engineering & Management, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 482-89, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2004)130:4(482)
- Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories, ecoinvent database ecoinvent centre, 1997.
- A. Stewart, A. Spencer, "Six-Sigma as a Strategy for Process Improvement on Construction Projects: A Case Study.", Construction Management & Economics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 339-48, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190500521082
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Tool for the Reduction and Assessment of Chemical and Other Environmnetal Impacts (TRACI)", Cincinnati, Ohio, 2010
- R. Frischknecht, G. Rebitzer, "The ecoinvent database system: a comprehensive web-based LCA database.", Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 13, no. 13-14, pp. 1337-1343, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2005.05.002
- Sylvatica, G. A. N., The Franklin US LCI library, 2004.