- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Analysis on the Effect of Familism on Suicide Ideation: Focusing on Difference between young Adults and Old Adults
자살생각에 대한 가족주의의 영향분석 -청·장년 집단과 노년 집단의 차이를 중심으로-
- Park, Joon-Shik (Dept. of Sociology, The Hallym University) ;
- Kim, Young Bum (The Hallym University Institute of Aging)
- Received : 2014.05.18
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
The main object of the study is to investigate factors affecting the suicide ideation. According to the socioemotional selectivity theory, because of limitation of life time, the family relationship is more important for elderly than young or middle aged group. Based on this theory authors hypothesizes that the familism may show negative relationship with suicide ideation only in elderly group. The data for the study comes from the survey titled understanding on the successful aging of Korean people conducted in 2008. The sample size of the survey is 1,000 and the survey was conducted by the face to face interview with the standardized questionnaire. According to the analysis, familism shows negative relationship with suicide ideation only in elderly group, not in young or middle adult group.
Supported by : 한림대학교
- Jae Hyun Jin and Hyu Yon Go, The Korean suicide rate trend by population group comparing with the OECD countries and its policy implications, Health and Welfare Policy Forum, Vol. 1, pp. 141-154, 2013.
- Ji Yoen Lee and So Yon Kim, Suicide in Korea: Age, period, cohort effect 1983-2003, Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 83-94, 2010.
- Ki-Soo Eun, Socioeconomic determinants of suicide rate in Korea, Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 97-129, 2005.
- Eun Jung Kang, Factors related to suicide ideation by age group, Health and Welfare Policy Forum, Vol. 9, pp. 81-86, 2006.
- Min-Ah Lee, Seokho Kim, Jae Hyun Park and Eun-Jung Sim, Factors of suicidal ideation and behavior: social relationships and family, Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 61-84, 2010.
- W. C. Seelbach, Correlates of aged parent's filial responsibility expectation and realizations, The Family Coordinator, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 341-350, 1978. https://doi.org/10.2307/583436
- A. E. Cosby, P. C. Mark, J. S. Jeffrey, Incidence of suicidal ideation and behavior in the United States, 1994" Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 131-140, 1990.
- R., Vilhjalmsson, G. Kristjansdottir, and E. Sveinbjarnardottir, Factor associated with Suicide Ideation in Adults, Soc Paychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol, Vol. 33, pp. 97-103, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001270050028
- S. Stace and D. Lester, The effect of religion on suicide ideation, Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, Vol. 26, No. 4., pp. 168-170, 1991.
- Young Bum Kim, A study on the effects of support exchange with children on the subjective wellbeing of the elderly - Focusing on gender difference, Korean Regional Sociology, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 173-194. 2012.
- Hee Kyoung Jang and Young Hye Kim, Elder abuse perception and cargiving stress of the adult caregivers, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 358-367. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.3.358
- OECD, Doing Better for Families-Korea. http://www.oecd.org/els/family/, 2011.
- Laura L. Carstensen, H. H. Fung, and S. T. Charles, Socioemotional selectivity theory and the regulation of fmotion in the second half of life" Motivation and Emotion, Vol. 27, pp. 103-123, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024569803230
- Tong Hee Park, Construction of Korean familism: familism, family egoism, quasi- familism, Family and Culture, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 93-125, 2004.
- Seok-Choon Lew, Woo-Young Choi and Hye-Suk Wang, Confucian ethics and the spirit of capitalism in Korea - Focused on filial piety, Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 52-86, 2005.
- Yong Shin Park, History and Social Change, Seoul: Minyoungsa, 1987.
- Sung Yong Lee, Familism and filial piety, Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 215-240, 2006.
- Hye-Kyung Kim, Failure of the patrilineal stem family system?: familialism and individualization among the generation of economic crisis of Korea in 1998 Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 101-141, 2013.
- Bo-Kyoung Kim, A confucian view of suicide and addiction in contemporary Korea, Journal of Social Thoughts and Culture, Vol. 25, pp. 153-181, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17207/jstc.2012.05.25.153
- Ki-Soo Eun, A Comparative study on family values: Focusing on sex and generational difference, Family and Culture, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 1-31, 2006.
- Ji Hyun Cho, Se-Geun Oh and Chulho Yang, A comparative study on the attitudes and behaviors of supporting for the elderly in East Asia: Focused on Korea, Japan, China and Taiwan, Korean Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 7-42, 2012.
- Sun Wha Ok, Research : a study on familism in rural families, Journal of the Home Economic Association, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 161-170, 1990.
- Jae Hong Heo, The effects of familism on subjective wellbeing in the mediation of self esteem, Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 1769-1782, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.4.200912.1769
- Ok Kyung Yang, Familism and welfare consciousness in Korea, Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 51, pp. 229-256, 2002.
- Hyun Sook Yoon, Jae Yeon Park and Yeon Ok Lim, Suicidal impulse caused by stress in Korea: focusing on mediational effects of existent spirituality, family support, and depression, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 81-105, 2010.
- R. A. Easterlin, Birth and Fortune: The Impact of Numbers on Personal Welfare, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987
- J. Stockard, and R. M. O'Brien, Cohort variations and changes in age-specific suicide rates over-time: explaining variation in youth suicide" paper presented at the annual meetings of Pacific Sociological Association, 1999.
- C. Girard, Age, gender, and suicide: a cross-national analysis" American Sociological Review, Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 553-574, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/2096076
- F. C. Pampel, and J. B. Williamson, Age patterns of suicide and homicide mortality rates in high-income nations, Social Forces Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 251-282, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1353/sof.2001.0083
- E. Durkheim, Suicide, Free Press, 1997.
- Seong Yong Kim, Trends in elderly suicide rates and social factors in Korea, Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 8, pp. 181-205, 2004.
- Jung-Kyun Ryu, Regional differentials in elderly suicide rate: The focusing on effects of family instability, 1995-2005, Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 21-44, 2008.
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Prevalence of Conflicts and Social Pathologies at Individual Level and Counter Measures in Korea, Seoul: Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2013.
- M., Waern, E. Rubenowitz, and K. Wilhelmson Predictors of suicide in the old elderly" Gerontology, Vol. 49, pp. 328-324, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1159/000071715
- S. C. Shagle and B. K. Barber, Effects of Family, marital, and parent-child conflict on adolescent self-derogation and suicidal ideation, Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 964-974, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/352776
- J. B. Pena, J. A. Kuhlberg, L. H. Zayas, A. B. Baumann, L. C. Gulbas, Hausmann-Stabile, and A. P. Nolle, Familism, family environment, and suicide attempts among latino Youth, Suicide Life Threat Behavior, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 330-341, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1943-278X.2011.00032.x
- Jeong Hye Choi, Familism, filial piety and consciousness for supporting their parents among adolescent, middle, and old generation, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Vol. 37, No. 9, pp. 85-101, 1999.
- Kyun-Sup Chang, Accidental pluralism in family ideology: compressed modernity and Korean families, Korean Studies Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 161-202, 2001.
- OECD, OECD factbook 2013: economic, environmental and social statistics, pp. 236-237, 2012.
- Chong-Sup Kim, Economic crisis and suicide: a comparative analysis of Korea and three latin american countries, Asian Journal of Latin American Studies, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 46-65, 2010.
- Eunok Park and Su Jung Choi, Prevalence of suicidal ideation and related risk factors among Korean adults, J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs Vol. 22 No. 2, pp. 88-96, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.2.88
- Hyun Soon Kim and Byeong Seok Kim, A comparative study on suicidal ideation in the elderly and the adolescents, Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 325-343, 2008.
- Jee Hwan Mo and Jin Hee Bae, Factors affecting suicidal behavior: Focused on comparison gender and age Difference, Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 121-145, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.2.121