- Volume 12 Issue 7
The aim of the study was to identify the effects of a social-support-based walking program for residents in rural areas. Data were collected from 120 residents who are residential in Chungcheongnam-do and participated in walking program at community health centers from March and September 2013. Collected data included body mass index, body fat mass, and skeletal muscle mass and physical Activity. The data were analyzed using a paired t-test with SPSS19.0. This study showed that a 7-month walking program had positive effects on the physical health index, representing reductions in the body mass index(t=-12.418, p<.001), body fat mass indes(t=13.031, p<.001) and an improvement in the skeletal muscle mass(t=-12.642, p<.001). Health behavior index; dietary practice guideline score(t= -4.324, p<.001), physical activity day(t=-8.715, p<.001), high risk drinking day(t=6.298, p<.001) were improved through walking program. These results indicated that the walking program for the community was effective in improving the health status of the participants. Therefore, I suggest that the development and running of various social-support-based walking program be required by applying the results.
Social support;Walking Program;Community;Intervention study;Health Behavior
- G. Y. Lee, Effects of 12week Walking Exercise Program Using HBM on Exercise Participation rate, Obesity indices, and Metabolic Syndrome Markers, The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 1229-1239, 2012.
- J. M. Lee, The effects of 12 weeks walking exercise program on body composition and blood lipid in obese high school girls. The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 675-682, 2006.
- Y. A. Go , H. C. Baek, I. Y. Hwang, Effects of C.ommunity-Based Group Walking Exercise Program, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 5-14, 2007.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A, Statistical power analysesusing G* Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 1149-1160, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Verheijden MW, Bakx JC, Weel CV, Koelen MA, Staveren WV, Role of social support in lifestyle-focused weight management interventions, European journal of Clinical nutrition, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 179-186, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602194
- H. J. Kwon, K. A. Kim, J. H. Kang, The Development of a Web-based Weight Reduction Program for Public Health Care, Korea Society for the Study of Obesity, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 242-267, 2005.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008 Korea national health and nutrition evaluation statistics, Decks-year Two, Retrieved May 1, 2013, from the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site: Http://knhanes. cdc. go. kr/knhanes/index.do.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. O. Yang, Effects of Walking Exercise on Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors and Body Composition in Obese Middle School Girls, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 858-867, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.5.858
- N. E. Bae, The Effects of 12-Week Walking Exercise on the Body Composition and Blood Lipid of Middle Aged Obese Women. The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 573-579, 2008.
- Morris JN, Hardma AE, Walking to health. Sports Medicine. Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 306-332, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199723050-00004
- Lee LM, Buchner DM, The importance of walking to public health. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Vol. 40, No. 7, p. 512, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e31817c65d0
- J. A. Choi, Construction of Leisure Physical Activity Model of Middle-Aged Women in Urban Area. The Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 626-640, 2008.
- M. S. Lee, D. K, Kim, E. Y. Kim, B. J. Na, T. H. Sung, A Study on the Relationship between Social Support, Social Network and Health Behaviors among Some Rural Peoples. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 73-98, 2002.
- G. Y. Kim, E. M. Kim, S. S. Bae, Social Capital and Stage of Change for Physical Activity in a Community Sample of Adults, Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 63-80, 2009.
- Bourdeaudhuij ID, Teixeira P, Cardon G, Deforche B, Environmental and psychosocial correlates of physical activity in Portuguese and Belgian adults. Public Health Nutrition, Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 886-895, 2005.
- M. A. Choe, Y. S. Hah, K. S. Kim, M. S. Yi, J. A. Choi, A Study on Exercise Behavior. Exercise Environment and Social Support of Middle-Aged Women, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 101-110, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.101
- Cobb S, Social support as moderator life stress, Psychosomatic Medicine, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 200-314, 1976.
- Uffelen GZ, Chinapaw JM, Marijke H-Rl, Mechele W, Feasibility and Effectiveness of a walking program for community-dwelling older adults with mild cognitive impairment. Journal of Aging and physical Activity, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 398-415, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.17.4.398
- Gaines JM, Metter EJ, Talbot LA, Home-based pedometer-Driven Walking Program to increase physical activity in older adults with osteoarthritis of the knee: a preliminary study. The American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 387-392, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2003.51113.x
- C. M. Kim, The Effects of Walking on the Physical Health of Residents in Rural Areas. Journal of korean Academy of Community health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 349-357, 2009.
- D. K. Kim, The Effect of Walking Program on the Women in a Rural Community, Korean Journal of Maternal and Child Health, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 51-60, 2009. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2009.13.1.51
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Handbook of health promotion. seoul, Korea, 2009.
- Heitman LK, Social support and cardiovascular heart promotion in families. The Journal of Immigrant Health, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 83-102, 2004.
- Jemmott JB, Jacob MN, Reflections on risk and resilience in adolescence. Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 20, pp. 609-616, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.1997.0114
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Merz NB, Brewer B Clark LlT, Hunninghake BD, Pasternak RC, Smith SC, Stone NJ, Implications of recent clinical trials for the national cholesterol education program adult treatment panel III guidelines. Journal of the American college of Cardiology, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 720-732, 2004... https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2004.07.001
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green L, Izzo JL, Jones DW, Materson BJ, Oparil S, Jr JT-W, Rpccella EJ, The seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure, Hypertension. Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 1206-1252, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000107251.49515.c2
- Haskell WL, Lee IM, Pate RR, Powell KE, Blair SN, Franklin BA., Macera CA, Heath GW, Thompson PD, Bauman A, Physical activity and public health: Updated recommendation for adults from the American college of sports medicine and the American heart association, Circulation. Vol. 116, No. 9, pp. 1081-1093, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.185649
- EYLER AA, Brownson RC, BACAK SJ, STEPHEN J, Housemann RA, The Epidemiology of Walking of physical activity in the united states. Official Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 1529-1536, 2003.