- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study about Cultural Sensitivity and Stereotype about Immigrant Women among Nursing Students
간호대학생의 문화적 민감성과 결혼이주여성에 대한 고정관념 김지현
- Kim, Ji Hyun (Daejeon university, Department of Nursing)
- 김지현 (대전대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2014.03.10
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
This study was conducted to investigate the cultural sensitivity and stereotype about immigrant women among nursing students. The participants in this study were 144 nursing students Data were collected from May to June 2013. The mean age of subjects was 21.8 years old. 68.1% of subjects had have experiences to travel abroad. Many subjects(90.3%) reported that multi-cultural education was needed. 66.0% of subjects met foreigners at clinical place among practice period. The cultural sensitivity and stereotype were middle range. It suggested that to prepare for the coming era of globalization, and to increase the nursing students' cultural sensitivity, a transcultural nursing curriculum needs to develop for appropriate and effective services in cross-cultural situations of the multicultural families in Korea.
cultural sensitivity;stereotype;immigrant women;nursing student;multi-cultural education need
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- A. Salman, D. McCabe, T. Easter, B. Callahan, Cultural competence among staff nurses who participated in a family-centered geriatric care program. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 103-113, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NND.0000277179.40206.be
- H. Kim, The effect of values on prejudice toward minority groups in Korea. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 91-104, 2007.
- D. E. Mastro, L. R. Tropp, The effects of interracial contact, attitudes, and stereotypical portrayals on evaluations of black television sitcom characters. Communication Research Reports, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 119-129, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824090409359974
- R. M. Stein, S. S. Post, A. L. Rinden, Reconciling context and contact effects on racial attitudes. Political Research Quarterly, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 285-303, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/106591290005300204
- Y. G. Cheong, H. J. Song, T. I. Yoon, H. Shim, The Effect of media stereotyping of immigrants on attitudes multiculturalism in korea. The Linguistic Society of Korea, Vol. 55, No. 9, pp. 405-444, 2011.
- K. H. Hughes, I. J. Hood, Teaching methods and an outcome tool for measuring cultural sensitivity in undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 18, pp. 57 -62, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659606294196
- W. O. Oh, W. S. Jung, H. G. Kang, E, H. Kim, M. H. Suk, Cultural knowledge, empathy and cultural sensitivity of university students majoring in health and welfare. Journal of Korean Society School Health, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 192-199, 2010.
- W, O. Oh, Factors influencing cultural sensitivity among nursing students. Journal Korean Academic Child Health Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 222- 229. 2011. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.222
- S. H. Choi, S. H Kim,. M. H. Lim, Developing cultural sensitivity scale. Multicultural Family Center of Pyeontaek University. 2008.
- J. D. Corrigan, I. D. Schumidt, Development and validation of revision in the counselor rating form. Journal of Moral Education, Vol. 4, pp. 129-161, 1983.
- O. S. Lee, A comparative study on cultural sensitivity of preliminary teacher between Korea and China. Comparative Education Study, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 193-217, 2008.
- M. E. Jones, C. L Cason, M. L, Bond, Cultural attitudes, knowledge and skills of a health workforce. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 15, pp. 283-290, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659604268966
- S. Kardong-Edgren, M. L. Bond, S. Schlosser, C. Cason, M. E. Jones, R. Warr, et al, Cultural attitudes, knowledge, and skills of nursing faculty toward patients from four diverse cultures. Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 21, pp. 175- 182, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.04.001
- C. A. Lee, A. Christine, M. A. Anderson, P. Hill, Cultural sensitivity education for nurses: a pilot atudy. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 137-41, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20060301-05
- J. Glittenberg, A transdisciplinary, transcultural model for health care. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol 15, pp. 6-10, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659603260037
- S. Y. Yang, H. N. Lim, J. H. Lee, The study on relationship between cultural competency and empathy of nursing students". Journal Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 183-193, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- Y. H. Park, T. H. Lee, K. H. Kang, D. H. Chae, A study on factors affecting cultural competency of general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Nursing Admin Academic Society, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 76-86, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- Statistics Korea. Dynamic stastics of population (Marriage). from http://kostat.go.kr /Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- J. O. Reimann, G. A. Talavera, M. Salmon, J. A. Nunez, R. J. Velasquez, Cultural competence among physicians treating Mexican Americans who have diabetes: A structural model. Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 59, pp. 2195-2205.
- M. J. Kim, T. I. Kim, Y. J. K, A study about cultural sensitivity and stereotype about immigrant women among general hospital nurses in Chungcheong area. Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 1334-1344, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1334
- F. A. Maurer, C. M. Smith, Community / public health nursing practice: health for families and populations. 4th ed. Saunders. 2009.
- M. J. Clark, Community health nursing : A advocacy for population health. 5th ed. New Jersey: Pearson Education. 2008.
- Y. J. Kim, J. O. Lee, S. H. Cho, An explorative study of perceived cultural competency of medical social workers in korea. Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol 31, No. 3, pp. 251- 283, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.3.251
- K. H. Hughs, L. J. Hood, Teaching methods and an outcome tool for measuring cultural sensitivity in undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Transcult Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 57-62, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659606294196
- M. K. Kim. A study on community members cultural sensitivity about immigrant wives. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 69-86, 2010.
- D. S. Kim, D, H. Kim, T. Y. Jung, Cognition of Korean college students for six foreigner groups. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-23, 2011.
- S. J. Lee, Y. M. Song, M. S. Kim, Types of a stereotype and a prejudice of elementary school students to the multi-cultural family children: centered on the process of recognition. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol. 29, pp. 1-27, 2011.
- C. Foronda, A concept analysis of cultural sensitivity. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 19, pp. 207-126, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659608317093
- Subjective View of and Attitude toward Multiculturalism in First-year Undergraduate Nursing Students after Completing a Multicultural Subject vol.26, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.3.248