- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Consulting Characteristics on SMEs Management Performance -focusing on government supported consulting-
컨설팅 특성 요인이 중소기업의 경영성과에 미치는 영향 - 정부지원 컨설팅을 중심으로 -
- Song, Keo-Young (Dept. Of Knowledge Service & Consulting, Hansung University) ;
- Hong, Jung-Wan (Dept. Of Industrial & Management Engineering, Hansung University) ;
- You, Yen-Yoo (Dept. Of Knowledge Service & Consulting, Hansung University)
- Received : 2014.05.26
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
This study was carried out to verify the effect of consumer and supplier characteristics on the utilization of consulting results, quality of consulting service and management performance in the government-support consulting service on SMEs. A survey was conducted and analyzed on SMEs which went through government-support consulting, with the following results of the study. First, for consumer characteristics, consulting awareness was found to have positive effect on the utilization of consulting results while organizational culture have no effect. Second, for supplier characteristics, consultant capability was found to have positive effect on the quality of consulting service but with no effect of government support policy. Third, consumer characteristic of consulting result utilization and supplier characteristic of consulting service quality were both found to have positive effect on management performance. Suggestions and significance of this study are as follows: the result of this study suggests a need to increase the SMEs' understanding of consulting service and the utilization of the consulting results as well as institutional support for enhancing the capability of consultants, a provider of knowledge service. It also has significance in presenting an effective and efficient direction of policy on consulting support project for SMEs.
Supported by : 한성대학교
- R. H. Schaffer, High-Impact Consulting: How Clients and Consultants Can Work Together to Achieve Extraordinary Results, Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- D. Y. Kim & T. S. Kim & H. S. Lee, A Study on the Moderate Effecting of Client's Organizational Character on Consulting Service Quality and Business Performance, The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 243-253, 2010.
- J. K. Kim & K. J. Seok, The Effects of Consulting Service Quality upon an Corporate Performance and Clients' Intention to Change Consultant-SERVQUAL, SERVPERF and KS-SQI Model-, Tax Accounting Research, Vol. 32, No. 0, pp.133-159, 2012.
- J. H. Park & S. H. Lee, A Study on the Quality Determination Factors of the Consulting Service Affecting the Customer Satisfaction and the Repurchase Intent, Korean Management Consulting Review, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.25-54, 2013.
- Y. Y. You, The Analysis for the determinant Factors on the Outcome of Management Innovation Business small and medium manufacturers, Journal of Korea Productivity Association, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.207-249. 2010.
- J. E. Lee & C. J. Suh & S. C. Kim, A Competency Model for Management Consulting: Comparison of the Consultant's Competency Specialized in Small Business and Large Business, The Journal of Vocational Education Research, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.135-155, 2011.
- K. H. Kim & K. S. Whang, A Study on the Quality Determinants in Management Consulting, Korean Management Science Review Special, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.15-28, 2001.
- B. H. Park & D. W. Lee & Y. S. Kim, Measuring Service Quality of Management Consulting, Journal of the Korean society for Quality Management, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp.47-58, 2005.
- J. H. Chung & C. G. Yi, A Study on Management Performance in Different Strategic Groups of Hotels, Journal of Tourism Policy, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.189-207, 1997.
- N. Venkatraman & V. Ramanujam, Measurement of business performance in strategy research: a comparison of approaches, Academy of management review, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.801-814, 1986.
- R. S. Kaplan & D. P. Norton, Using the balanced scorecard as a strategic management system, Harvard business review, Vol. 74, No. 1, pp.75-85, 1996.
- S. K. Kim, An Empirical Study on Firms' Recognition and Satisfaction with the Materials and Components Industry Policy in Korea, The Graduate School Pusan National University PhD thesis, 2012.
- K. Y. Song & Y. Y. You, An Effect of the Awareness of Consulting and Organizational Culture on the Use of Consulting Outcome and Business Performance of a Company, Journal of Convergence Information Technology, Vol. 8, No. 13, pp.616-623, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4156/jcit.vol8.issue11.69
- I. S. Lee & Y. Y. You, An Empirical Study of the Influencing Factors of Management Consulting Performance on Application Intend mediating the consulting deliverables and satisfaction, The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp.59-69. 2012.
- V. Kumar & A. Simon & N. Kimberley, Strategic capabilities which lead to management consulting success in Australia, Management Decision, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp.24-35, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251740010311807
- J. J. Phillips, In Action: Building a Successful Consulting Practice, American Society for Training and Development, 2006.
- D. I. Jang & K. H. Lee & S. H. Song, Research on How Consultant's Capability and Competency Influence on Upgraded Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction, The Academy of Customer Satisfaction Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.39-64, 2011.
- H. J. Kwak, A Study on the Establishment of Success Model for the Enhancement of Consulting Performances in Korea Consulting Market: Focused on Small and Medium Business Management Consulting Market, Journal of CEO and Management Studies, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.1-23, 2008.
- J. W. Chae, A Study on the Determinants of Consulting Services for SMEs by Consulting Type, The Graduate School Pusan National University PhD thesis, p.110, 2011.
- Y. J. Joo, Integration and empirical analysis of organizational culture studies, Graduate School of Chung-Ang University PhD thesis, p.36, 2010.
- Y. S. Cha, A Review on the Relationship between Organizational Culture and Performance, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp.2054-2062, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2054
- G. O. Klemp Jr, The Assessment of Occupational Competence. Final Report: I. Introduction and Overview, 1980.
- S. B. Parry, The Quest for Competencies, Training, Vol. 33, No. 7, pp.48-54, 1996.
- A. P. Williams & S. Woodward, The Competitive Consultant: A Client-oriented Approach for Achieving Superior Performance, Palgrave Macmillan, 1997.
- M. Rynning, Successful consulting with small and medium-sized vs. large clients: meeting the needs of the client?, International Small Business Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.47-60, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/026624269201100104
- Small and Medium Business Administration, Small and Medium Business Consulting Industry White Paper, 2008.
- A. Nahavandi & S. Chesteen, The impact of consulting on small business: a further examination, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.29-40, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225878801300104
- S. S. Lee, The Performance Effects of Business Consulting in China based Korean Small Business, Korean Corporation Management Review, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.149-165, 2009.
- I. S. Kim, Status and Development of Consulting Support Service for SMEs: Especially for the Hub Project of E-Coupon System of Consulting Support, Koreanische Zeitschrift fur Wirtschaftswissenschaften Vol. 27 No. 4, pp.41-67, 2009.
- R. D. McLachlin, Factors for Consulting Engagement Success, Management Decision, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp.394-402, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251749910274162
- Y. S. Jang & H. J. Kwak, A Study on Relationship between Consulting Performance and Consulting Management in Real Estate Consulting and Management Consulting, Journal of The Korean Socity Of Cadastre, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.31-42, 2009.
- A. Parasuraman & V. A. Zeithaml & L. L. Berry, Servqual, Journal of retailing, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp.12-40, 1988.
- SMBA: http://stat2.smba.go.kr/phase_re_01.jsp?mc=usr0001762&op=search&l_cd=01
- M. Kubr, Management consulting: A guide to the profession, International Labour Organization, Geneva, 2002.
- T. J. Covin & T. V. Fisher, Consultant and client must work together, Journal of Management Consulting, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp.11-20, 1991.
- Y. Jang & J. Lee, Factors influencing the success of management consulting projects, International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.67-72, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(97)00005-7
- I. S. Kim, A study on the performance and effects of consulting in domestic SMEs, Zeitschrift der Koreanisch-Deutschen Gesellschaft fur Sozialwissenschaften, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.159-186, 2008.
- F. Steele, Consulting for organization change, Univ of Massachusetts Press, 1975.
- L. E. Greiner & R. O. Metzger, Consulting to management, Englewood Cliffs^ eNJ NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1983.
- K. C. Rhee, Consumer education: theory & practice, Kyomunsa, Seoul, 1999.
- Effect of Management Commitment on Perceived Consulting Quality - Focusing on Government Supported Convergence Consulting - vol.13, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.127
- A Study of Environment Analysis Method for Information Strategy Planning based Scenarios vol.14, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.195
- Determinants of Technology Transfer for Convergence Management Strategy of Small and Medium Enterprises vol.14, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.83
- IT SMEs' Product Planning Capability and Manufacturing Capability in the Context of Digital Convergence: The Mediating Impacts of the Product Exterior and Interior Design Capabilities vol.13, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.55