- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Issues and Direction of Virtual Advertising Regulation
가상광고 규제의 문제점 및 방향에 관한 연구
- Choi, Min-Wook (Dept. of Advertising & Public Relations, Namseoul University)
- 최민욱 (남서울대학교 광고홍보학과)
- Received : 2014.04.07
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
The virtual advertising which emerged in new technology environment and new advertising environment has been executed lately. The right regulation of virtual advertising is very important to the growth of it, because virtual advertising is new form of advertising and it can change program contents easily. In addition, it's time for considering the overall supplementation of virtual advertising regulation, based on the results so far achieved. In this sense, this article examined the regulation of virtual advertising which has been executed since 2010. It first examines the characteristics of advertising in digital media convergence environment and the growth and effect of virtual advertising. Then, research problems were suggested. Based on the research problems, it examines the status of virtual advertising regulation for each country. Then, it analyzes and discusses the major issues related to today's virtual advertising regulation. The article concludes with policy recommendations.
Virtual Advertising;Advertising Regulation;Digital Media;Convergence;Right of Access
- L. Woods, The Consumer and Advertising Regulation in the Television without Frontiers and Audiovisual Media Services Directives. Journal of Consumer Policy, Vol. 31, pp. 63-77, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10603-007-9057-y
- G. Yang, J. H. Kwak, & J. K. Jeon, A study comparative on advertising effects of stadium ads and virtual ads. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 621-630, 2005.
- S. W. Yeom, A study on the movement of UK advertising regulation depending on the environmental change of Media., The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations. Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 96-131, 2004.
- S. Y. Yu & J. T. Joung, A nation regulation situation, case analysis and activation plan of product placement. Korean Journal of Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 39-46, 2011. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2011.06.5.2.39
- B. C. Kim, Y. S. Lee, & G. O. Lee, A study on the improvement plan of broadcasting advertising in Korea. KOBACO research report, 2004.
- B. H. Kim, Perception and regulatory policy to product placement in the interactive digital TV programs. The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 317-342, 2005.
- H. B. LEE. & Y. R. Cha, Audience awareness of virtual advertising and Product Placement. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 91-102, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.05.091
- K. Y. Lee, A study on perception of advertisers, advertising agencies, broadcasting associations, and advertising professors concerning the introduction of virtual advertising. Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Research, Vol. 6,1, pp. 85-109, 2005.
- S. B. Lee, H. B. Lee, & M. H. Shin, Exploring the attitude toward virtual advertising as determined by exposure distribution and audience's characteristics. Broadcasting & Communication, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 77-107, 2013.
- S. D. Lee, An exploratory study on several problems of laws and regulations governing broadcasting program sponsoring: with special reference to the comparison of the laws and regulations of Germany with those of Korea. Journal of Communication Science, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 448-494, 2006.
- C. S. Moon, Research on reformation of advertising legislation in broadcasting to prepare the introduction of virtual advertising. Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Research, Vol. 54, pp. 205-243, 2002.
- R. D. Petty & J. C. Andrews, Covert marketing unmasked: A legal and regulatory guide for practices that mask marketing messages. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 226-238, 2008.
- Psychological Market Analysis. Virtuelle bandenwerbung-day after recall test, Benfica Lissabon versus Bayern Munchen 10/08/1999 (Virtual billboard advertising-Day after recall test, Benfica Lisbon versus Bavaria Munich). Studiennummer: 1068994, Nurnberg.1999.
- J. S. Sin, Marketing new trend: Virtual Advertising. Advertising Information, Nov. pp. 56-59, 1999
- P. Turner & S. Cusumano, Virtual advertising: Legal implications for sport. Sports Management Review, Vol. 3, pp. 47-70, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1441-3523(00)70079-9
- L. J. Wertheim, Now you see it: Virtual ads are the next frontier in TV sports. http://www.cnnsi.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013718/index.htm. Sports Illustrated, 1998. 8. 24
- C. Basso, No product placement please, we're British! Journal of Sponsorship, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 176-182, 2008.
- Y. R. Cha, Problems and improvement of restrictions of Ad for Pay TV market. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 123-134, 2012.. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.08.123
- S. Donation, Madison & Vine: Why the entertainment & advertising industries must converge to survive. NY: McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- EBU, EBU Memorandum on Virtual Advertising. 2000.
- FIFA. Regulation for the use of virtual advertising. Zurich, 1999.
- J. Y. Ha, S. H. Lim, &. Y. J. Han, Audience's Brand Recognition of Virtual Advertisements in a Sports Program - A Comparison between Virtual Ads and A-Board Ads. Korean Journal of Broadcasting & Telecommunications Research, Vol. 77, pp. 103-109, 2012.
- Y. C. Hwang & Y. M. Kim, Developing a scale to measure virtual advertising attributes in TV sport broadcasting. Korean Journal of Sport Management, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 105-123, 2012.
- ITC, The ITC Advertising Standards Code. 2000.
- C. S. Jun, Y. R. Kim, &. J. M. Kim, A comparative study on the effect of virtual uniform and A-board advertising in TV Broadcasting. Journal of Korea Entertainment Industry, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 103-109, 2012. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2012.12.6.4.103