- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Nuclear Related Organization Workers' Perceptions about Nuclear Power Plant News in Korea
국내 원전보도에 관한 원자력 유관 산업 종사자들의 인식
- Choi, Sook (Institute for Communication and Information at Hankook University of Foreign Studies)
- 최숙 (한국외국어대학교 언론정보연구소)
- Received : 2014.05.14
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
The Press related Energy including nuclear energy has social responsibility that it should pass the scientific factors to the right. It is essential to ensure the accuracy and fairness. The general public, such as press releases and information obtained through indirect communication affects social acceptance of nuclear power, which is used to determine the direction of energy policy, the most important factor to be taken into account. Recent rapid increase coverage of NPP lose in balance of nuclear power plants. In this study the qualitative interviews were performed with the workers who stand directly in obtaining information about nuclear related organizations. By E-mail and FGI the data were collected from the workers' perception about domestic nuclear news. They perceived the NPP news that the negative aspects of nuclear power plants were too much dealt in nuclear news coverage, and risk of NPP is only exaggerated and distorted, the lack of expertise knowledge on nuclear power and recognize that the cause was a lack of understanding. 'Nuclear mah' for the event were aware that should dig more thoroughly. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management.
NPP;Public Acceptance(PA);NPP communication;Energy Communication
- Sung Kyoung Cho, A Comparative Analysis of Acceptability of Radioactive Waste Repository Policies: Knowledge, Trust, Perception, Acceptability and Participation. Public Policy Research. pp. 59-77, 2003.
- Dong Won Kim, An Analysis on Changes in Korean Social Acceptance Before and After Visiting Nuclear Energy Facilities, MS dissertation, Seoul National University of Science and Technology, 2008.
- Sung Kyoung Cho, Se-Gi Oh, A Theoretical Approach to Derive Perception Indicators Influencing the Acceptability on Nuclear Energy Facilities & Policies, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics , 11(4), pp. 332-341, 2002.
- Du-Hwan Won, A Study on the Heterogeneous Preference of Nuclear Facility Acceptance. Resource and Environment Research, 19(4), pp. 853-876. 2010.
- Cvetkovich G., The Attribution of Social Trust in Cvetkovich G, Loefstedt RE (eds) Social Trust and the Management of Risk, Earthscan Publications Ltd, 1999.
- Flynn, J., Bums, W., Mertz, C. K., & Slovic, P. Trust as a Determinant of Opposition to a High-level Radioactive Waste Repository: Analysis of a Structural Model. Risk Analysis 12, pp. 417-429. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1992.tb00694.x
- Mi Young Oh, Jin-Myoung Choi, Hak-Soo Kim, Stigma Effect of Technology with Risk : the Impact of Stigma on Nuclear Power on the Perception and Acceptance of Products based on Radiation Technology, Korean Journal of Journalism and communication studies, 52(1), 2008.
- Greenberg, M. R., Sandman, PM, Sachsman, DB & Salomone, KL. Network television news coverage of environmental risks. Risk Analysis 9(1), pp. 119-126. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1989.tb01227.x
- Hyun Woo Lee, Byung kwan Lee, A Framing Analysis of the Media News Coverage on A Radioactive Waste Disposal Site Issue in Buan, 5(3) pp. 516-548, 2005.
- Dal-Yong Jin, Yong Jun Ko , Analysis of TV News of the Nuclear Waste Storage Facility -TV News Reporting of Boo-An case and Gyeong-Ju, Press and Society, 20(4), pp. 5-45, 2012.
- Salwen, M. B. Effect of Accumulation of coverage on Issue Sailience in Agenda-Setting. Journalism Quarterly. 66, pp. 100-6. 1988
- DongSeop, HyungIl Kim, Risk and Communication: Communication Effects on Social Acceptance of Nuclear Power, Journal of safety and crisis management 7(2) pp. 1-22, 2011.
- Myoung Sun Son, (A)comparative study on the disaster news report in South Korea and Japan : focused on a content analysis of Chosun Ilbo and Yomiuri Shinmun on "Fukushima nuclear accident", Master Dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, 2013.
- Sang-Dae Lee, Analysis on Negative Media Report of Wolsong Nuclear Power Plant's Heavy Water Leakage: Analysis on Daily Newspaper Report of Wolsong Nuclear Power Plant's Heavy Water Leakage Incident during the Month of October 1999, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 21(3), pp. 203-210, 2012.
- Slovic Perceived risk, trust, and democracy. Risk Analysis, 13(6), pp. 675-682, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1993.tb01329.x
- Macgregor, D., Slovic, P. & Malfors, T. How Exposed Is Exposed Enough? Lay Inferences About Chemical Exposure. Risk Analysis. 19, pp. 649-661, 1999.
- Jae-Eun Lee, Pyung Young Kim, Yoonsoo Chung, An Analysis on determinants of social acceptance of NPP risk. Korea Public Administration Journal, Korean Public Administration Journal, 16(2), pp. 189-217, 2007.
- Slovic, P., Perception of Risk. Science, 236, pp. 280-285, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3563507
- Fischhoff, B., Slovic, P., Lichtenstein, S., Read, S. & Combs, B., How safe is safe enough? A psychometric study of attitudes towards technological risks and benefits. Policy Sciences, 9(2), pp. 127-152, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00143739
- Chung & Kim, Competition, Economic Benefits, Trust and Risk Perception in siting a potentiality Hazardous Facility. Landscape and Urban Planning, 91, pp. 8-16, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2008.11.005
- Slovic, P., M Layman, N Kraus, J Flynn, J Chalmers, G Gesell, Perceived Risk, Stigma, and Potential Economic Impacts of a High-Level Nuclear Waste Repository in Nevada. Risk Analysis, 11(4), pp. 683-696, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1991.tb00658.x
- Kunreuther, H., .Risk Analysis and Risk Management in an Uncertain, 2001.
- P Slovic, J Flynn, CK Mertz, M Poumadere, C Mays, Nuclear power and the public. Cross-Cultural Risk Perception, pp. 55-102. 2000.
- Sang Ho-Park, Alternatives to prevent the recurrence of 'disaster' and 'revival' hold the balance. Newspaper & Broadcasting, 2013(5), pp. 16-19. 2013.
- Eun Hee, Cho, News Analysis about Earthquake and Nuclear Crisis in Japan. Social Science Research, 23(1), pp. 117-143. 2012.
- Atwater, T., Salwen, M. B & Anderson, R. B., Media Agenda-setting with Environment Issues. Journalism Quarterly. 62, pp. 393-397, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769908506200227
- Brosius & Kepplinger, The Agenda-Setting Function of Television News. Communication research,. 17(2), pp. 183-211. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365090017002003