- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Audio Engineering Curriculums for the Higher Education : Case Studies on the USA's and the European Graduate Schools
고등 음향기술 교육체제 구축을 위한 미국과 유럽 대학원의 교과과정 사례 연구
- Oh, Wongeun (Dept. of Multimedia Eng., Sunchon National University) ;
- Rhee, Esther (Dept. of Music Production, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2014.05.17
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
Currently, a lot of colleges and universities offer Acoustics and audio engineering courses. In this paper, we analyze and classify the current state of the graduate level curriculums of the area. For the purposes, we focus on graduate school courses of the U.S. and Europe where audio engineering is highly advanced. They were classified into three different types depending on the educational objectives. In addition, the representative cases of each type are presented to examine the characteristics of the subjects.
- G. Ballou, Handbook for Sound Engineers, 4th ed. Elsevier, USA, 2008.
- W. Oh and E. Rhee, "A model of convergence education curriculum for the undergraduate sound engineering courses," in Proceedings of the 3rd ICCT, pp. 338-339, 2013.
- Y. Kim, "A Study of the Multi Ground Based of ISD centered on Standardizing Competency & Dual Major for Developing a Convergence Human Resource," Journal of the KAIS, Vol. 15, No. 2 pp. 753-759, 2014 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.753
- H. Oh, "The Study on the Issue of K-Pop Major in Colleges and Opportunity for New Curriculum," in Proceedings of the KAIS Conference, pp.92-93, 2012
- M. Kim and S. Choi, "Digital Design Curriculum Model in Architectural Design Studio, Journal of the KAIS, Vol. 12, No. 11 pp. 5314-5320, 2011 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5314
- AES Education Directory by Program Type : http://www.aes.org/education/directory/programs.cfm.
- H. E. Bass, "World Acoustics Research and Education in Physical Acoustics at the University of Mississippi, USA," Applied Acoustics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 285-293, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-682X(94)90078-7
- K. L. Gee, S. D. Sommerfeldt, and T. B. Neilsen, "The current state of acoustics education at Brigham Young University," In Proceedings of Meeting on Acoustics, Acoustical Society of America, vol. 11, pp.1-7, 2010.
- Brigham Young University, Department of Physics & Astronomy, Course descriptions : http://www.physics.byu.edu/Courses/CourseDescription.aspx.
- Penn State University Graduate Program in Acoustics : http://www.acs.psu.edu/
- University of Salford : http://www.salford.ac.uk/pgt-courses
- Sweden Chalmers University of Technology, Division of Applied Acoustics : http://www.ta.chalmers.se/education.php?page=mst_courses.
- Technical University of Denmark MSc in Engineering Acoustics : http://www.dtu.dk/english/Education/msc/Programmes/engineering_acoustics.
- University of Rochester : http://www.ece.rochester.edu/assets/pdf/MSEE_rev4_1.pdf.
- Johns Hopkins University, Peabody Institute, Degrees in Recording Arts and Sciences : http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/conservatory/recordingarts/degrees.html.