- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effects of Handset Bundling on Competition and Consumer Welfare
단말기 번들링이 경쟁과 소비자후생에 미치는 효과 연구
- Chung, Sukkyun (Dept. of Policy, College of Policy Science, Hanyang University)
- 정석균 (한양대학교 정책과학대학 정책학과)
- Received : 2014.04.14
- Accepted : 2014.07.20
- Published : 2014.07.28
This paper finds that the ultimate source of problems facing Korean mobile telecommunications such as excessive subsidies of handsets, waste of resources, and a vicious circle of expensive handsets and high prices for services, is bundling of handset and subscription. The analysis suggests that bundling causes consumers to confuse about prices of handsets and services, and firms focus on handset subsidy competition rather than on upgrading service qualities and lowering prices due to anti-competitive effects of bundling. Because most of the cost of bundling is passed on to consumers, the welfare of consumers decline. In particular, equality among consumers worsens due to price discriminations. To resolve these problems, unbundling of handset and subscription is a necessity. Mixed bundling allowing separate selling of handsets under bundling does not seem to work as a cure because bundling tends to be a dominant strategy. The best regulatory policy is a complete separation of handset and subscription.
- Cowling, K. and Waterson, M., Price Cost Margins and Market Structure, Economica, 43, pp.267-274, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2307/2553125
- Muthoo, Abhinay, Bargaining Theory with Applications. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Nilsson, A., "Transparency and Competition," mimeo, Stockholm School of Economics, 1999. http://ideas.repec.org/p/hhs/hastef/0298.html.
- Information Communication Technology Index, KAIT, 2014. http://www.icti.or.kr/Main/Main.aspx
- e-National Index, Statistics Korea, 2012. http://www.index.go.kr/
- OECD Communications Outlook, 2011.
- KT DIGIECO, Policy Directions for the Advance of Mobile Service Markets, 2013. http://www.digieco.co.kr/KTFront/report/report_strategy_view.action?board_seq=7953&board_id=strategy#
- Tallberg, M., Bundling of Handset and Subscription, mimeo, Helsinki University of Technology Networking Laboratory, 2004. https://www.netlab.tkk.fi/opetus/s38042/s04/Presentations/13102004_Tallberg/Tallberg_paper.pdf,
- I. Cheong, Handset Bundling and Subsidy, International Telecommunications Policy Review, Vol. 20, No.2, pp. 79-104, 2013.
- Fang, H.,& P. Norman, To Bundle or Not to Bundle, RAND Journal of Economics, 37, pp.946-963, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-2171.2006.tb00065.x
- Garcia-Marinoso, B., Martinez-Giralt, X., & Olivella, P., Bundling in telecommunications, mimeo, 2008. http://pareto.uab.es/xmg/Bundling.pdf.
- Farrell, Joseph & Paul Klemperer, Coordination and Lock-in: Competition with Switching Costs and Network Effects, Handbook of Industrial Organization, 2003.
- Okholm, Henrik Ballebye, Simen Karlsen, Torben Toro Pedersen, Jonathan Tops, How does Handset Subsidies Affect Incentives to Innovate? Economic Theory and Empirical Evidence. Norwegian Post and Telecommunications Authority, 2008.
- Albon, Rob., & Richard York, Should Mobile Subscription be Subsidized in Mature Markets? Telecommunications Policy, 32, pp.294-306, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2008.02.003
- Nalebuff, B., Bundling as an Entry Barrier, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 119, pp.159-187, 2008.
- Gartner, Market Share: Mobile Devices by Region and Country,1Q2012, 2012.
- Thanassoulis, J., Competitive Mixed Bundling and Consumer Surplus, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 16, pp.437-467, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-9134.2007.00145.x
- Adams, W.J., and Yellen, J, Commodity Bundling and the Burden of Monopoly, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol.90, pp.475-498, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2307/1886045