- Volume 15 Issue 9
Emerging evidence has shown associations of microRNA-205 (miR-205) with crucial cell processes such as the epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) and aberrant expression with tumorigenesis in many types of human malignancy. This prospective study characterized the contribution of miR-205 to the colorectal cancer (CRC) tumorigenesis. The real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction was used to examine miR-205 levels prospectively in 36 pairs of samples of CRC tissue and adjacent noncancerous tissue (>2 cm from cancer tissue). In addition, the relationship between miR-205 levels and clinicopathological features was explored. The capability of miR-205 to function as a tumor marker was also examined. miR-205 expression levels did not show significant changes overall. However, miR-205 was significantly downregulated in a group of CRC samples compared with matched noncancerous tissue samples. Moreover, decreased miR-205 correlated significantly with lymphatic metastasis. A receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve also showed an optimum cut off point of
- Salimzadeh H, Delavari A, Montazeri A, Mirzazadeh A (2012). Knowledge and practice of iranians toward colorectal cancer, and barriers to screening. Int J Prev Med, 3, 29-35.
- Thiery JP, Sleeman JP (2006). Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 7, 131-42. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm1835
- Zhao BS, Liu SG, Wang TY, et al (2012). Screening of microRNA in patients with esophageal cancer at same tumor node metastasis stage with different prognoses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 139-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.139
- Poste G, Carbone DP, Parkinson DR, et al (2012). Leveling the playing field: bringing development of biomarkers and molecular diagnostics up to the standards for drug development. Clin Cancer Res, 18, 1515-23. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-11-2206
- Pourhoseingholi MA (2012). Increased burden of colorectal cancer in Asia. World J Gastrointest Oncol, 4, 68-70. https://doi.org/10.4251/wjgo.v4.i4.68
- Qin AY, Zhang XW, Liu L, et al (2013). MiR-205 in cancer: an angel or a devil? Eur J Cell Biol, 92, 54-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcb.2012.11.002
- Savad S, Mehdipour P, Miryounesi M, et al (2012). Expression analysis of MiR-21, MiR-205, and MiR-342 in breast cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 873-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.873
- Shemirani AI, Haghighi MM, Zadeh SM (2011). Simplified MSI marker panel for diagnosis of colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2101-4.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Sordat I, Rousselle P, Chaubert P, et al (2000). Tumor cell budding and laminin-5 expression in colorectal carcinoma can be modulated by the tissue micro-environment. Int J Cancer, 88, 708-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20001201)88:5<708::AID-IJC5>3.0.CO;2-J
- Spaderna S, Schmalhofer O, Hlubek F, et al (2006). A transient, EMT-linked loss of basement membranes indicates metastasis and poor survival in colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology, 131, 830-40. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2006.06.016
- Tellez CS, Juri DE, Do K, et al (2011). EMT and stem cell-like properties associated with miR-205 and miR-200 epigenetic silencing are early manifestations during carcinogen-induced transformation of human lung epithelial cells. Cancer Res, 71, 3087-97. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-3035
- Gregory PA, Bracken CP, Bert AG, Goodall GJ (2008b). MicroRNAs as regulators of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Cell Cycle, 7, 3112-8. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.7.20.6851
- Greene SB, Gunaratne PH, Hammond SM, Rosen JM (2010a). A putative role for microRNA-205 in mammary epithelial cell progenitors. J Cell Sci, 123, 606-18. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.056812
- Greene SB, Herschkowitz JI, Rosen JM (2010b). The ups and downs of miR-205: identifying the roles of miR-205 in mammary gland development and breast cancer. RNA Biol, 7, 300-4. https://doi.org/10.4161/rna.7.3.11837
- Gregory PA, Bert AG, Paterson EL, et al (2008a). The miR-200 family and miR-205 regulate epithelial to mesenchymal transition by targeting ZEB1 and SIP1. Nat Cell Biol, 10, 593-601. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncb1722
- Haghighi MM, Javadi GR, Parivar K (2010). Frequent MSI mononucleotide markers for diagnosis of hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1033-5.
- Henry NL, Hayes DF (2012). Cancer biomarkers. Mol Oncol, 6, 140-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molonc.2012.01.010
- Iorio MV, Croce CM (2009). MicroRNAs in cancer: small molecules with a huge impact. J Clin Oncol, 27, 5848-56. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.0317
- Janbabai G, Farazmandfar T, Khosravi S (2013). An investigation on 10 micro RNAs in colorectal cancer as biomarkers to predict disease progression. Adv Biolog Res, 7, 144-9.
- Lim J, Thiery JP (2012). Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions: insights from development. Development, 139, 3471-86. https://doi.org/10.1242/dev.071209
- Orang AV, Safaralizadeh R, Hosseinpour Feizi MA (2014). Insights into the diverse roles of miR-205 in human cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 577-83. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.577
- Poste G (2011). Bring on the biomarkers. Nature, 469, 156-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/469156a
- Ahmed FE, Jeffries CD, Vos PW, et al (2009) Diagnostic microRNA markers for screening sporadic human colon cancer and active ulcerative colitis in stool and tissue. Cancer Genomics Proteomics, 6, 281-95.
- Azimzadeh P, Romani S, Mohebbi SR, et al (2012). Association of polymorphisms in microRNA-binding sites and colorectal cancer in an Iranian population. Cancer Genet, 205, 501-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cancergen.2012.05.013
- Bandres E, Agirre X, Bitarte N (2009). Epigenetic regulation of microRNA expression in colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer, 125, 2737-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24638
- Barsky SH, Siegal GP, Jannotta F, Liotta LA (1983). Loss of basement membrane components by invasive tumors but not by their benign counterparts. Lab Invest, 49, 140-7.
- Bonfrate L, Altomare DF, Di Lena M (2013). MicroRNA in colorectal cancer: new perspectives for diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 22, 311-20.
- Darnell DK, Kaur S, Stanislaw S, et al (2006). MicroRNA expression during chick embryo development. Dev Dyn, 235, 3156-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.20956
- Serum microRNA-205 as a novel biomarker for cervical cancer patients vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12935-014-0081-0
- MicroRNAs in Colorectal Cancer: from Diagnosis to Targeted Therapy vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.6989
- microRNA-29b: an Emerging Player in Human Cancer vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9059
- MiR-1297 Regulates the Growth, Migration and Invasion of Colorectal Cancer Cells by Targeting Cyclo-oxygenase-2 vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9185
- Prognostic role of microRNA-205 in multiple human malignant neoplasms: a meta-analysis of 17 studies vol.5, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006244
- MiR-205 and MiR-373 Are Associated with Aggressive Human Mucinous Colorectal Cancer vol.11, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0156871
- MicroRNA-205-5b inhibits HMGB1 expression in LPS-induced sepsis vol.38, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2016.2613
- Downregulation of serum microRNA-205 as a potential diagnostic and prognostic biomarker for human glioma vol.124, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3171/2015.1.JNS141577
- Evaluation of microRNA-205 expression as a potential triage marker for patients with low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions vol.13, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.5909
- in colorectal cancer progression by therapeutic miRNAs: miR-19b-1 role vol.59, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.M076752
- The silent healer: miR-205-5p up-regulation inhibits epithelial to mesenchymal transition in colon cancer cells by indirectly up-regulating E-cadherin expression vol.9, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41419-017-0102-8
- Strategies for targeting energy metabolism in Kirsten rat sarcoma viral oncogene homolog -mutant colorectal cancer pp.07302312, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.27558
- SNMDA: A novel method for predicting microRNA-disease associations based on sparse neighbourhood vol.22, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.13799