- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Hypobaric Conditions on Apoptosis Signalling Pathways in HeLa Cells
- Arican, Gul Ozcan (Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Istanbul University) ;
- Khalilia, Walid (Programme of Radiobiology, Institute of Science, Istanbul University) ;
- Serbes, Ugur (Programme of Radiobiology, Institute of Science, Istanbul University) ;
- Akman, Gizem (Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Istanbul University) ;
- Cetin, Idil (Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Istanbul University) ;
- Arican, Ercan (Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, Istanbul University)
- Published : 2014.06.30
Nowadays increasing effectiveness in cancer therapy and investigation of formation of new strategies that enhance antiproliferative activity against target organs has become a subject of interest. Although the molecular mechanisms of apoptosis can not be fully explained, it is known that cell suicide program existing in their memory genetically is activated by pathophysiological conditions and events such as oxidative stress. Low pressure (hypobaric) conditions that create hypoxia promote apoptosis by inhibiting cell cycling. In this study, determination of the effects of fractional hypobaric applications at different times on HeLa cells at cellular and molecular levels were targeted. Experiments were carried out under hypobaric conditions (35.2 kPa) in a specially designed hypobaric cabin including 2%
Supported by : University of Istanbul
- Zhou F, Yang Y, Xing D (2011). Bcl-2 andBcl-xL, playimportantroles in the cross talk between autophagy and apoptosis. FEBS J, 278, 403-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2010.07965.x
- Waligora J, Horrigan D, Nicogossian A (1991). The physiology of space craft and space suit atmosphere selection. Acta Astronaut, 23, 171-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0094-5765(91)90116-M
- Wang N, Wang W, Huo P, et al (2014). Mitochondriamediated apoptosis in human lung cancer A549 cells by 4-methylsulfinyl-3-butenyl isothiocyanate from radish Seeds. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2133-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2133
- Wen S, Niu Y, Lee S, Chang C, (2014). Androgen receptor (AR) positive vs negative roles in prostatecancer cell deaths including apoptosis, anoikis, entosis, necrosis and autophagic cell death. Cancer Treat Rev, 40, 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2013.07.008
- Murphy M, Hinman A, Levine A (1996). Wild-type p53 negatively regulates the expression of a microtubuleassociated protein. Genes Dev, 10, 2971-80. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.10.23.2971
- Miyashita T, Krajewski S, Krajewska M, et al (1994). Tumor suppressor p53 is a regulator of bcl-2 and box gene expression in vitro and in vivo. Oncogene, 9, 1799-805.
- Miyashita T, Reed J (1995). Tumor suppressor p53 is a direct transcriptional activator of the human box gene. Cell, 80, 293-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(95)90412-3
- Mosmann T (1983). Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immun Meth, 65, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Paul A, Schuerger A, Popp M, et al (2004). Hypobaric biology: arabidopsis gene expression at low atmospheric pressure. Plant Physiol, 134, 215-23. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.103.032607
- Pecorino L (2008). Apoptosis: Molecular Biology Of Cancer - Mechanisms Targets And Therapeutics. Oxford University Press, 137-60.
- Ramanathan L, Gozal D, Siegel JM (2005). Antioxidant response to chronic hypoxia in the rat cerebellum and pons. J Neurochem, 93, 47-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-4159.2004.02988.x
- Song HY, Deng XH, Yuan GY, et al (2014). Expression of bcl-2 and p53 in induction of esophageal cancer cell apoptosis by ECRG2 in combination with cisplatin. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1397-401. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1397
- Thomas A, Rouby SE, Reed JC, et al (1996). Drug-induced apoptosis in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia, relationship between p53 gene mutation and bcl-2/bax proteins in drug resistance. Oncogene, 12, 1055-62.
- Vikhanskaya F, Vignati S, Beccaglia P, et al (1998) Inactivation of p53 in a human ovarian cancer cell line increases the sensitivity to paclitaxel by inducing G2/M arrest and apoptosis. Exp Cell Res, 241, 96-101. https://doi.org/10.1006/excr.1998.4018
- Karimi P, Shahrokni A, Nezami Ranjbar MR (2014). Implementation of proteomics for cancer research: past present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2433-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2433
- Baker D (1981). The History of Space Flight. Crown publishers Inc, New York.
- Huckelhoven R (2004). BAX Inhibitor-1, an ancient cell death suppressor in animals and plants with prokaryotic relatives. Apoptosis, 9, 299-307. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:APPT.0000025806.71000.1c
- Jayalakshmi K, Sairam M, Singh SB, et al (2005). Neuroprotective effect of N-acetyl cysteine on hypoxia induced oxidative stress in primary hippocampal culture. Brain Res, 1046, 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2005.03.054
- Kitada S, Krajewski S, Miyashita T, et al (1996). Gamma radiation induce supregulation of bax protein and apoptosis in radiosensitive cells In vivo. Oncogene, 12, 187-92.
- Ling YH, Tornos C, Perez-Soler R (1998). Phosphorylation of bcl-2 is a marker of M phase events and not a determinant of apoptosis. J Biol Chem, 273, 18984-91. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.30.18984
- Liu YQ, Li Y, Qin J, et al (2014). Matrine reduces proliferation of human lung cancer cells by inducing apoptosis and changing miRNA expression profiles. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2169-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2169
- Lockshin RA, Zakeri Z (2004). Apoptosis, autophagy, and more. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 36, 2405-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2004.04.011
- Magalhaes J, Ascensao A, Soares J, et al (2005). Acuteand severe hypobaric hypoxia increases oxidative stres and impairs mitochondrial function in mouse skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol, 99, 1247-53. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.01324.2004
- Maiti P, Singh SB, Sharma AK, et al (2006). Hypobaric hypoxia induces oxidative stress in rat brain. Neurochem Int, 49, 709-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuint.2006.06.002
- Massimo A (1992). Growth of plants at reduced pressures: experiments in wheat- techonological advantages and constraints. Adv Space Res, 12, 97-106.
- Chen HM, Zhang DG, Wu JX, Pei DS, Zheng JN (2014). Ubiquitination of p53 is involved in troglitazone induced apoptosis in cervical cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2313-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2313
- Blagosklonny MV, Giannakakou P, El-Deiry WS, et al (1997). Raf-1/bcl-2 phosphorylation: a step from microtubule damage to cell death. Cancer Res, 57, 130-5.
- Cacciapaglia F, Spadaccio C, Chello M, et al (2009). Apoptotic molecular mechanism simplicated in autoimmune diseases. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 13, 23-40.
- Cooper GM, Hausman RE (2006). Hucre: molekuler yaklasim. Eds Sakizli M and Atabey N 3th baski, Izmir Tip Kitapevi, Izmir, 631-71.
- Costa LE, Boveris A, Koch OR, Taquini AC (1988). Liver and heart mitochondria in rats submitted to chronic hypobarichypoxia. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 225, 123-9.
- Denizot F, Lang R (1986). Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival: modifications to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability. J Immun Meth, 89, 271-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(86)90368-6
- Haldar S, Jena N, Croce CM (1998). Inactivation of Bcl-2 by phosphorylation: a step from microtubule damage to cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 57, 130-5.
- He C, Davies Jr FT, Lacey RE, et al (2003). Effects of hypobaric conditions on ethylene evolution and growth of lettuce and wheat. J of Plant Physiol, 160, 1341-50. https://doi.org/10.1078/0176-1617-01106
- Henke N, Lisak L, Schneider J, et al (2011). The ancient cell death suppressor BAX inhibitor 1. Cell Calcium, 50, 251-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceca.2011.05.005
- Huang XY, Zhang SZ, Wang WX (2014). Enhanced antitumor efficacy with combined administration of astragalus and pterostilbene for melanoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1163-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1163