- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Inactivated Sendai Virus Strain Tianjin Induces Apoptosis in Human Breast Cancer MDA-MB-231 Cells
- Chen, Jun (Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical College, Tianjin Medical University) ;
- Han, Han (Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical College, Tianjin Medical University) ;
- Chen, Min (Department of Nursing, The 44th Hospital of PLA) ;
- Xu, Xiao-Zhu (The Second People Hospital of Guizhou Province) ;
- Wang, Bin (Department of Anesthesiology, Tianjin Research Institute of Anesthesiology, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital) ;
- Shi, Li-Ying (Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical College, Tianjin Medical University)
- Published : 2014.06.30
Sendai virus strain Tianjin is a novel genotype. Here, we investigate the antitumor and proapoptotic effects of ultraviolet-inactivated Sendai virus strain Tianjin (UV-Tianjin) on human breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells in vitro, as well as the involvement of the apoptotic pathway in the mechanism of UV-Tianjin-induced antitumor effects. MTT assays showed that treatment with UV-Tianjin dose-dependently inhibited the proliferation of MDA-MB-231 cells but not normal MCF 10A breast epithelium cells. Hoechst staining and flow cytometric analysis revealed that UV-Tianjin induced apoptosis of MDA-MB-231 cells in a dose-dependent manner. Moreover, UV-Tianjin treatment resulted in reduction in the mitochondria membrane potential (MMP) and release of cytochrome complex (cyt c) via regulation of Bax and Bcl-2, as well as activation of caspase-9, caspase-3, Fas, FasL and caspase-8 in MDA-MB-231 cells. In summary, our study suggests that UV-Tianjin exhibits anticancer activity in human breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells through inducing apoptosis, which may involve both the endogenous mitochondrial and exogenous death receptor pathways.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Zhu ZL, Zhang J, Chen ML, et al (2013). Efficacy and safety of Trastuzumab added to standard treatments for HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7111-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7111
- Wang CZ, Calway T, Yuan CS (2012). Herbal medicines as adjuvants for cancer therapeutics. Am J Chin Med, 40, 657-69. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X12500498
- Yamano T, Kaneda Y, Huang S, et al (2006). Enhancement of immunity by a DNA melanoma vaccine against TRP2 with CCL21 as an adjuvant. Mol Ther, 13, 194-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymthe.2005.05.018
- Zhang Q, Li Y, Shi Y, et al (2008). HVJ envelope vector, a versatile delivery system: its development, application, and perspectives. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 373, 345-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.06.055
- Zou X, Liu SL, Zhou JY, et al (2012). Beta-asarone induces LoVo colon cancer cell apoptosis by up-regulation of caspases through a mitochondrial pathway in vitro and in vivo. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5291-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5291
- Schenk E, Essand M, Kraaij R, et al (2014). Preclinical safety assessment of Ad[I/PPT-E1A], a novel oncolytic adenovirus for prostate cancer. Hum Gene Ther Clin Dev, 25, 7-15. https://doi.org/10.1089/humc.2013.181
- Li Y, Li D, Yuan S, et al (2013). Embelin-induced MCF-7 breast cancer cell apoptosis and blockade of MCF-7 cells in the G2/M phase via the mitochondrial pathway. Oncol Lett, 5, 1005-9. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2012.1084
- Love RR, Young GS, Laudico AV, et al (2013). Bone mineral density following surgical oophorectomy and tamoxifen adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. Cancer, 119, 3746-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28302
- Russell SJ, Peng KW, Bell JC (2012). Oncolytic virotherapy. Nat Biotechnol, 30, 658-70. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt.2287
- Shi LY, Chen J, Zhong QP, et al (2013), Tang H. Inactivated Sendai virus strain Tianjin, a novel genotype of Sendai virus, inhibits growth of murine colon carcinoma through inducing immune responses and apoptosis. J Transl Med, 11, 205. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-11-205
- Shi LY, Li M, Yuan LJ, et al (2008). A new paramyxovirus, Tianjin strain, isolated from common cotton-eared marmoset: genome characterization and structural protein sequences analysis. Arch Virol, 153, 1715-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-008-0184-9
- Srinivasula SM, Ahmad M, Fernandes-Alnemri T, et al (1998). Autoactivation of procaspase-9 by Apaf-1-mediated oligomerization. Mol Cell, 14, 949-57.
- Strasser A, Cory S, Adams JM (2011). Deciphering the rules of programmed cell death to improve therapy of cancer and other diseases. EMBO J, 30, 3667-83. https://doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2011.307
- Tanaka M, Shimbo T, Kikuchi Y, et al (2010). Sterile alpha motif containing domain 9 (SAMD9) is involved in death signaling of malignant glioma treated with inactivated Sendai virus particle (HVJ-E) or type I interferon. Int J Cancer, 126, 1982-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24965
- Thompson CB (1995). Apoptosis in the pathogenesis and treatment of disease. Science, 267, 1456-62. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7878464
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Ibrahim T, Mercatali L, Amadori D (2013). A new emergency in oncology: Bone metastases in breast cancer patients (Review). Oncol Lett, 6, 306-10. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1372
- Ilkow CS, Swift SL, Bell JC, et al (2014). From scourge to cure: tumour-selective viral pathogenesis as a new strategy against cancer. PLoS Pathog, 10, 1003836. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1003836
- Ito M, Yamamoto S, Nimura K, et al (2005). Rad51 siRNA delivered by HVJ envelope vector enhances the anti-cancer effect of cisplatin. J Gene Med, 7, 1044-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/jgm.753
- Kado K, Forsyth A, Patel PR, et al (2012). Dietary supplements and natural products in breast cancer trials. Front Biosci (Elite Ed), 4, 546-67.
- Kaneda Y (2003). New vector innovation for drug delivery: development of fusigenic non-viral particles. Curr Drug Targets, 4, 599-602. https://doi.org/10.2174/1389450033490740
- Kaneda Y, Nakajima T, Nishikawa T, et al (2002). Hemagglutinating virus of Japan (HVJ) envelope vector as a versatile gene delivery system. Mol Ther, 6, 219-26. https://doi.org/10.1006/mthe.2002.0647
- Kaneda Y, Yamamoto S, Nakajima T (2005). Development of HVJ envelope vector and its application to gene therapy. Adv Genet, 53, 307-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2660(05)53012-8
- Kawaguchi Y, Miyamoto Y, Inoue T, et al (2009). Efficient eradication of hormone-resistant human prostate cancers by inactivated Sendai virus particle. Int J Cancer, 124, 2478-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24234
- Li P, Nijhawan D, Budihardjo I, et al (1997). Cytochrome c and dATP-dependent formation of Apaf-1/caspase-9 complex initiates an apoptotic protease cascade. Cell, 14, 479-89.
- Gu TW, Bae WY, Park HT, et al (2014). Expression profile of fas-fas ligand in spiral ganglion cells during apoptosis. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol, 7, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.3342/ceo.2014.7.1.1
- Bi MC, Rosen R, Zha RY, et al (2013). Zeaxanthin induces apoptosis in human uveal melanoma cells through Bcl-2 family proteins and intrinsic apoptosis pathway. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2013, 205082.
- Danial NN, Korsmeyer SJ (2004). Cell death: critical control points. Cell, 116, 205-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(04)00046-7
- Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Morales-Vasquez F, Hortobagyi GN (2007). Overview of resistance to systemic therapy in patients with breast cancer. Adv Exp Med Biol, 608, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-74039-3_1
- Han Z, Zhou HJ, Zhao J, et al (2013). Study on apoptosis of rat glioma cells induced by defective interfering particles of Sendai virus strain Tianjin. Chin J Microbiol Immunol, 33, 677-82.
- He D, Sun L, Li C, et al (2014). Anti-tumor effects of an oncolytic adenovirus expressing hemagglutinin-neuraminidase of Newcastle disease virus in vitro and in vivo. Viruses, 6, 856-74. https://doi.org/10.3390/v6020856
- Hiraoka K, Yamamoto S, Otsuru S, et al (2004). Enhanced tumorspecific long-term immunity of hemagglutinating virus of Japan-mediated dendritic cell-tumor fused cell vaccination by coadministration with CpG oligodeoxynucleotides. J Immunol, 173, 4297-307. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.173.7.4297
- Distinct Pro-Apoptotic Properties of Zhejiang Saffron against Human Lung Cancer Via a Caspase-8-9-3 Cascade vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6075
- ALEX1 Regulates Proliferation and Apoptosis in Breast Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3293
- Silencing stathmin-modulating efficiency of chemotherapy for esophageal squamous cell cancer with paclitaxel vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1038/cgt.2014.74
- Effects of Ghrelin on the Apoptosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis Fibroblast-Like Synoviocyte MH7A Cells pp.1347-5215, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b18-00285