- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Awareness of Cancer and Cancer Screening by Korean Community Residents
- Jo, Heui-Sug (Department of Cancer Management, Gangwon Cancer Center) ;
- Kwon, Myung Soon (Department of Nursing, Hallym University) ;
- Jung, Su-Mi (Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Bo-Young (Department of Nursing, Hallym Polytechnic University, and Department of Cancer Management, Gangwon Cancer Center)
- Published : 2014.06.30
The purpose of this study was through a survey of awareness of cancer and cancer screening of Korean community residents to identify the stereotypes of cancer and bases for development of improved screening programs for early detection. Subjects were residing in South Korea Gangwon-Province and were over 30 years and under 69 years old. The total was 2,700 persons which underwent structured telephone survey questionnaires considered with specific rates of gender, region, and age. For statistical analysis, PASW Statistics 17.0 WIN was utilized. Frequency analysis, the Chi-square (
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2011). A guide for national cancer control program in 2011. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Jeon SA, Lee SE, Roh YK (1996). Telling the diagnosis of cancer. J Korean Acad Fam Med, 17, 445-53.
- Kim RB, Park KS, Hong DY, et al (2010). Factor associated with cancer screening intention in eligible persons for National Cancer Program. J Prev Med and Pub Health, 43, 67-72.
- Kumar YS, Mishra G, Gupta S, Shastri S (2011). Level of cancer awareness among women of lower socioeconomic status in Mumbai slums. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1295-8.
- National Cancer Information Center (2012). Prevention and screening for cancer http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/index.html/. Accessed Janyary 24.
- Noh HT (1993). Truth telling to cancer patients. Korean J Obstet Gynecol, 36, 63-74.
- Park JH, Kim SG (2009). Effect of cancer diagnosis on patient employment status: a nationwide longitudinal study in Korea. Psycho-Oncology, 18, 691-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1452
- Peteet JR, Abrams HE, Ross DM, et al (1991). Presenting a diagnosis of cancer: patients' views. J Fam Pract, 32, 577-81.
- Radi SM (2013). Breast cancer awareness among Saudi females in Jeddah. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4307-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4307
- Statistics Korea (2013). Report on the cause of death statistics in 2012. Seoul: Statistics Korea.
- World Health Organization (2003). International agency for research on cancer. World cancer report. Geneva: WHO.
- Yun YH, Yoon EY, Park HA, et al (1992). Presentation of cancer diagnosis from the patient's point of view. J Korean Acad Fam Med, 13, 790-9.
- Chun IH, Park KS (2013). Patient's cognition toward the disclosure of cancer diagnosis. Asian Oncol Nur, 13, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.2.59
- Cho JH, Choi EK, Kim SY, et al (2013). Association between cancer stigma and depression among cancer survivors: a nationwide survey in Korea. Psycho-Oncology, 22, 2372-8.
- Cho JH, Katherine S, Choi EK, et al (2013). Public attitudes toward cancer and cancer patients: a national survey in Korea. Psycho-Oncology, 22, 605-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3041
- Choe SY, Lee HY, Lee JI (2003). A study on knowledge and attitude about cancer between residents in rural areas and new patients visited a hospital. J Soc Health Stat, 28, 99-109.
- Ghani WM, Doss JG, Jamaluddin M, Kamaruzaman D, Zain RB (2013). Oral cancer awareness and its determinants among a selected Malaysian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1957-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1957
- Han GR (2006). A study on a notice of cancer diagnosis [dissertation]. Seoul: Kyung Hee Univ.
- Han SJ, Kwon MS, Yoon OS (2012). Comparison of quality of life of middle aged women and men. J Korean Acad Soc Home Care Nurs, 19, 183-94.
- Hoque ME (2010). Cervical cancer awareness and preventive behavior among female university students in South Africa. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 127-30.
- Risk Awareness on Uterine Cancer among Australian Women vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10251
- Development of a Family Nursing Model for Prevention of Cancer and Other Noncommunicable Diseases through an Appreciative Inquiry vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10367
- Intrathecal Morphine Infusion Therapy in Management of Chronic Pain: Present and Future Implementation in Korea vol.57, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2016.57.2.475