- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Does Clinical Experience Help Oncology Nursing Staff to Deal with Patient Pain Better than Nurses from other Displines? Knowledge and Attitudes Survey Amongst Nurses in a Tertiary Care in Malaysia
- Yaakup, Hayati (Palliative Care Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre) ;
- Eng, Tan Chai (Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre) ;
- Shah, Shamsul Azhar (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre)
- Published : 2014.06.30
Background: Successful implementation of pain management procedures and guidelines in an institution depends very much on the acceptance of many levels of healthcare providers. Aim: The main purpose of this study was to determine the level of knowledge and attitudes regarding pain among nurses working in tertiary care in a local setting and the factors that may be associated with this. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional research study used a modified version of the Nurses' Knowledge and Attitudes Survey (NKAS) regarding pain. Basic demographic data were obtained for further correlation with the level of pain knowledge. Results: A total of 566 nurses, 34 male and 532 female, volunteered to participate in this study. The response rate (RR) was 76%, with an overall mean percentage score of
- Subhashini L, Vatsa M, Lodha R (2009). Knowledge, attitude and practices among health care professionals regarding pain. Indian J Pediatr, 76, 913-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-009-0154-6
- Rejeh N, Ahmadi F, Mohammadi E, et al (2009). Nurses' experiences and perceptions of influencing barriers to postoperative pain management. Scand J Caring Sci, 23, 274-1. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2008.00619.x
- Robbins N, Chaiklang K, Supparatpinyo K (2012). Undertreatment of Pain in HIV+ Adults in Thailand. Symptom Manage.
- South S, Smith M (2001). Analgesic tolerance to opioids. Pain, 9.
- Tervo-Heikkinen T, KvistT, Partanen P, et al (2008). Patient Satisfaction as a Positive Nursing Outcome. J Nurs Care Qual, 23, 58-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCQ.0000303806.09242.37
- Tsai FC, Tsai YF, Chien CC, et al (2007). Emergency nurses' knowledge of perceived barriers in pain management in Taiwan. J Clin Nurs, 16, 2088-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01646.x
- Tse MMY, Chan BSH (2004). Knowledge and attitudes in pain management: Hong Kong nurses' perspective. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother, 18, 47-8.
- Wang HL, Tsai Y F (2010). Nurses' knowledge and barriers regarding pain management in intensive care units. J Clin Nurs, 19, 3188-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03226.x
- Wells M, Dryden H, Guild P, et al (2001). The knowledge and attitudes of surgical staff towards the use of opioids in cancer pain management: can the Hospital Palliative Care Team make a difference? Eur J Cancer Care, 10, 201-11.
- World Health Organization (1996). Cancer Pain Relief. (2nd ed.). Geneva: WHO.
- Yildirim YK, Cicek F, Uyar M (2008). Knowledge and attitudes of Turkish oncology nurses about cancer pain management. Pain Management Nursing, 9, 17-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2007.09.002
- McCaffery M, Robinson ES (2002). Your patient is in pain-here's how you respond. Nursing, 32, 36-45.
- Maskor NA, Krauss SE, Muhamad M, Nik Mahmood NH, (2013). Communication competencies of oncology nurses in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 153-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.153
- Matthews E, Malcolm C (2007). Nurses' knowledge and attitudes in pain management practice. Br J Nurs, 16, 174-9. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2007.16.3.22972
- McCaffery M, Ferrell BR, Pasero C (2000). Nurses' personal opinions about patients' pain and their effect on recorded assessments and titration of opioid doses. Pain Management Nursing, 1, 79-87. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpmn.2000.9295
- Minozzi S, Amato L, Davoli M (2012). Development of dependence following treatment with opioid analgesics for pain relief: a systematic review. Addiction, 108, 688-98.
- Musclow SL, Sawhney M, Watt-Watson J (2002). The emerging role of advanced nursing practice in acute pain management throughout Canada. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 16, 63-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002800-200203000-00005
- Nakamura M, Nishiwaki Y, Ushida T, et al (2011). Prevalence and characteristics of chronic musculoskeletal pain in Japan. J Orthop Sci, 16, 424-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00776-011-0102-y
- Noble M, Treadwell J, Tregear S, et al (2010). Long-term opioid management for chronic noncancer pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.
- Park SA, Chung SH, Shin EH (2012). Attitudes of nurses toward supportive care for advanced cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4953-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4953
- Rahimi-Madiseh M, Tavakol M, Dennick R (2010). A quantitative study of Iranian nursing students' knowledge and attitudes towards pain: implication for education. Int J Nurs Pract, 16, 478-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.01872.x
- Reiman M, Gordon M (2007). Pain management competency evidenced by a survey of pediatric nurses' knowledge and attitudes. Pediatric Nursing, 33, 307-12.
- Jarrett A, Church T, Fancher-Gonzalez K, et al (2013). Nurses' knowledge and attitudes about pain in hospitalized patients. Clinical Nurse Specialist Cns, 27, 81-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/NUR.0b013e3182819133
- Furstenberg CT, Ahles TA, Whedon MB, et al (1998). Knowledge and Attitudes of Health-Care Providers Toward Cancer Pain Management : A Comparison of Physicians, Nurses, and Pharmacists in the State of New Hampshire. J Pain Symptom Manage, 15, 335-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(98)00023-2
- Hazelett S, PowellC, Androulakakis V (2002). Patients' behavior at the time of injury: effect on nurses' perception of pain level and subsequent treatment. Pain Management Nursing: Official Journal of the American Society of Pain Management Nurses, 3, 28-5. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpmn.2002.29012
- Hojsted J, SjogrenP (2007). Addiction to opioids in chronic pain patients: a literature review. Eur J Pain , 11, 490-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2006.08.004
- Jastrzab G, Fairbrother G, Kerr S, et al (2003). Profiling the 'pain aware' nurse: acute care nurses' attitudes and knowledge concerning adult pain management. Aust J Adv Nurs, 21, 27-32.
- Kaasalainen S, Martin-Misener R, Carter N, et al (2010). The nurse practitioner role in pain management in long-term care. J Adv Nurs, 66, 542-1. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05206.x
- Kaki AM, Daghistani MF, Msabeh AA (2009). Nurses' knowledge of pharmacological measures on acute pain management in Western Saudi Arabia. Saudi Medical Journal, 30, 279-3.
- Lewthwaite BJ, Jabusch KM, Wheeler BJ, et al (2011). Nurses' knowledge and attitudes regarding pain management in hospitalized adults. J Contin Educ Nurs, 42, 251-7. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20110103-03
- Lui L, SoW, Fong D (2008). Knowledge and attitudes regarding pain management among nurses in Hong Kong medical units. J Clin Nurs, 1, 1-8.
- Broekmans S, Vanderschueren S, Morlion B, et al (2004). Nurses' attitudes toward pain treatment with opioids: a survey in a Belgian university hospital. Int J Nurs Stud, 41, 183-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(03)00129-9
- Beck SL, Towsley GL, Berry PH, et al (2010). Core aspects of satisfaction with painmanagement:cancer patients' perspectives. J Pain Symptom Management, 39, 100-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.06.009
- Bernardi M, Catania G, Tridello G (2007). Knowledge and attitudes about cancer pain management: a national survey of Italian hospice nurses. Cancer Nursing, 30, 20-6.
- Brant JM (2010). The global experience of cancer pain. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 7-2.
- Brown ST, Bowman JM, Eason FR (1999). Assessment of nurses' attitudes and knowledge regarding pain management. J Contin Educ Nurs, 30, 132-9.
- DuBose RA, Berde CB (1997) Respiratory Effects of Opioids: Technical Corner for IASP Newsletter July/August.
- Edwards HE, Nash RE, Najman JM, et al. (2001). Determinants of nurses' intention to administer opioids for pain relief. Nursing & Health Sciences, 3, 149-9. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2001.00080.x
- Fairchild A (2010). Under-treatment of cancer pain. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care, 4, 11-15. https://doi.org/10.1097/SPC.0b013e328336289c
- Ferrell MC (2008). "Knowledge and Attitudes Survey Regarding Pain". Retrieved 14 oct 2012, from (http://prc.coh.org) (http://prc.coh.org)
- Fine PG, Portenoy RK, Ad Hoc Expert Panel on Evidence Review and Guidelines for Opioid Rotation (2009). Establishing “best practices” for opioid rotation: conclusions of an expert panel. J Pain Symptom Manage, 38, 418-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.06.002
- Development of a Family Nursing Model for Prevention of Cancer and Other Noncommunicable Diseases through an Appreciative Inquiry vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10367
- Oncology Nurses Knowledge and Attitudes Regarding Cancer Pain Management vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7501
- Pain Knowledge and Attitudes Among Nurses in Cancer Care in Norway pp.1543-0154, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-018-1355-3