- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Estimation of the Cure Rate in Iranian Breast Cancer Patients
- Rahimzadeh, Mitra (Alborz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Baghestani, Ahmad Reza (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Gohari, Mahmood Reza (Hospital management Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pourhoseingholi, Mohamad Amin (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.06.30
Background: Although the Cox's proportional hazard model is the popular approach for survival analysis to investigate significant risk factors of cancer patient survival, it is not appropriate in the case of log-term disease free survival. Recently, cure rate models have been introduced to distinguish between clinical determinants of cure and variables associated with the time to event of interest. The aim of this study was to use a cure rate model to determine the clinical associated factors for cure rates of patients with breast cancer (BC). Materials and Methods: This prospective cohort study covered 305 patients with BC, admitted at Shahid Faiazbakhsh Hospital, Tehran, during 2006 to 2008 and followed until April 2012. Cases of patient death were confirmed by telephone contact. For data analysis, a non-mixed cure rate model with Poisson distribution and negative binomial distribution were employed. All analyses were carried out using a developed Macro in WinBugs. Deviance information criteria (DIC) were employed to find the best model. Results: The overall 1-year, 3-year and 5-year relative survival rates were 97%, 89% and 74%. Metastasis and stage of BC were the significant factors, but age was significant only in negative binomial model. The DIC also showed that the negative binomial model had a better fit. Conclusions: This study indicated that, metastasis and stage of BC were identified as the clinical criteria for cure rates. There are limited studies on BC survival which employed these cure rate models to identify the clinical factors associated with cure. These models are better than Cox, in the case of long-term survival.
- Chen MH, Ibrahim JG, Sinha D (1999). A new Bayesian model for survival data with a surviving fraction. J Am Stat Assoc, 94, 909-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1999.10474196
- Borges P, Rodrigues J, Balakrishnan N (2012). Correlated destructive generalized power series cure rate models and associated inference with an application to a cutaneous melanoma data. Comput Stat Data Anal, 56, 1703-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2011.10.013
- Bray F, McCarron P, Parkin DM (2004). The changing global patterns of female breast cancer incidence and mortality. Breast Cancer Res, 6, 229-39. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr932
- Cancho VG, Louzada-Neto F, Ortega EMM (2013). The Power Series Cure Rate Model: An Application to a Cutaneous Melanoma Data. Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computation, 42, 586-602. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610918.2011.639971
- Cooner F, Banerjee S, Carlin BP, Sinha D (2007). Flexible cure rate modeling under latent activation schemes. J Am Stat Assoc, 102, 560-72. https://doi.org/10.1198/016214507000000112
- Dickman PW, Hakulinen T (2000). Population-based cancer survival analysis (Statistics in Practice Series). New Jersey, John Wiley.
- Elmore JG, Armstrong K, Lehman CD, Fletcher SW (2005). Screening for breast cancer. JAMA, 293, 1245-56. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.10.1245
- Fouladi N, Amani F, Harghi AS, Nayebyazdi N (2011). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in Ardabil, north-west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1799-801.
- Gakwaya A, Kigula-Mugambe JB, Kavuma A, et al (2008). Cancer of the breast: 5-year survival in a tertiary hospital in Uganda. Br J Cancer, 99, 63-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604435
- Haghighat S, Akbari ME, Ghaffari S, Yavari P (2012). Standardized breast cancer mortality rate compared to the general female population of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5525-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5525
- Abdullah NA, Wan Mahiyuddin WR, Muhammad NA et al (2013). Survival rate of breast cancer patients in Malaysia: a population-based study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4591-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4591
- Al-Naggar RA, Isa ZM, Shah SA, et al (2009). Eight year survival among breast cancer Malaysian women from University Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1075-8.
- Arkoob K, Al-Nsour M, Al-Nemry O, Al-Hajawi B (2010). Epidemiology of breast cancer in women in Jordan: patient characteristics and survival analysis. East Mediterr Health J, 16, 1032-8.
- Asano J, Hirakawa A, Hamada C, et al (2013). Use of Cox's cure model to establish clinical determinants of long-term disease-free survival in neoadjuvant-chemotherapy-treated breast cancer patients without pathologic complete response. Int J Breast Cancer, ???? 354579.
- Babaee GH, Feyzi A, Keshavarz M (2005). Study effect of various therapeutic and surgery methods on survival rate in breast cancer. J Daneshvar, 59, 19-28 (in Persian).
- Mohagheghi MA, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Malekzadeh R, Parkin M (2009). Cancer incidence in Tehran Metropolis: The first report from the Tehran population-based cancer registry, 1998-2001. Arch Iran Med, 12, 15-23.
- Tomohiro A (2007). Bayesian predictive information criterion for the evaluation of hierarchical Bayesian and empirical Bayes models. Biometrika, 94, 443-58. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/asm017
- Yaghmayee S, Banihashemi Gh, Ghorbani R (2007). Study survival rate and effective cause om survival rate in women with breast cancer reffred to Semnan hospital in 1991-2002: using Cox regression. J Semnan Univ Med Sci, 9, 111-5 (in Persian).
- Yakovlev AY, Tsodikov AD (1996). Stochastic Models of Tumor Latency and Their Biostatistical Applications,World Scientific, Singapore, Hackensack, NJ.
- Hoerger TJ, Ekwueme DU, Miller JW, et al (2011). Estimated effects of the national breast and cervical cancer early detection program on breast cancer mortality. Am J Prev Med, 40, 397-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.12.017
- Lee JH, Yim SH, Won YJ, et al (2007). Population-based breast cancer statistics in Korea during 1993_2002: incidence, mortality, and survival. J Korean Med Sci, 22, 11-6. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2007.22.S.S11
- Moore MA, Eser S, Igisinov N, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in North-Western and Central Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11 Suppl , 17-32.
- Mousavi SM, Montazeri A, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in Iran: an epidemiological review. Breast J, 13, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00446.x
- Najafi B, Anvari S, Roshan ZA (2013).Disease free survival among molecular subtypes of early stage breast cancer between 2001 and 2010 in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5811-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5811
- Park SK, Kim Y, Kang D, Jung EJ, Yoo KY (2011). Risk factors and control strategies for the rapidly rising rate of breast cancer in Korea. J Breast Cancer, 14, 79-87. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2011.14.2.79
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359-63.
- Taghavi A, Fazeli Z, Vahedi M, et al (2012). Increased trend of breast cancer mortality in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 367-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.367
- Association of rs1219648 in FGFR2 and rs1042522 in TP53 with Premenopausal Breast Cancer in an Iranian Azeri Population vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7955
- Burden of Breast Cancer in Iranian Women is Increasing vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5049
- Relative Survival of Breast Cancer Patients in Iran vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5853
- Incidence and Mortality of Breast Cancer and their Relationship to Development in Asia vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6081
- Application of a Non-Mixture Cure Rate Model for Analyzing Survival of Patients with Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7359
- Fitting Cure Rate Model to Breast Cancer Data of Cancer Research Center vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7923
- Combined Expression of Metastasis Related Markers Naa10p, SNCG and PRL-3 and its Prognostic Value in Breast Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2819
- Survival Analysis of Patients with Breast Cancer using Weibull Parametric Model vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8567
- Inhibition of Notch signaling pathway enhanced the radiosensitivity of breast cancer cells vol.119, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.27036
- Effects of RNA interference-mediated silencing of toll-like receptor 4 gene on proliferation and apoptosis of human breast cancer MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells: An in vitro study pp.00219541, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26573