- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Which is the Best Chinese Herb Injection Based on the FOLFOX Regimen for Gastric Cancer? A Network Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
- Wang, Jian-Cheng (Evidence-based Medicine Center of Lanzhou University) ;
- Tian, Jin-Hui (Evidence-based Medicine Center of Lanzhou University) ;
- Ge, Long (The First Clinical Medicine College of Lanzhou University) ;
- Gan, Yu-Hong (Evidence-based Medicine Center of Lanzhou University) ;
- Yang, Ke-Hu (Evidence-based Medicine Center of Lanzhou University)
- Published : 2014.06.30
Background: Few studies have directly compared clinical efficacy and safety among Chinese herb injections (CHIs) for gastric cancer (GC). The present study aimed to compare CHIs combined with FOLFOX regimens for GC to show which provides the best CHIs results. Materials and Methods: 9 electronic databases and 6 gray literature databases were comprehensive searched in April 20, 2013. According to inclusion and exclusion criteria, two reviewers independently selected and assessed the included trials. The risk of bias tool described in the Cochrane Handbook version 5.1.0 and CONSORT statement were used to assess the quality of the trials. All calculations and graphs were performed and produced using ADDIS 1.16.5 software. Results: A total of 541 records were searched and 38 RCTs met the inclusion criteria (2,761 participants), involving 10 CHIs. The results of network meta-analysis showed that compared with FOLFOX alone, combinations with Kanglaite, Astragalus polysaccharides, Cinobufacini, or Yadanziyouru injections could furthest strengthen ORR, improve the quality of life, reduce nausea and vomiting, and reduce the incidence of leukopenia (III-IV). Conclusions: Kanglaite injection, Astragalus polysaccharides injection, Yadanziyouru injection were superior to other CHIs in clinical efficacy and safety for GC. The conclusions now need to be confirmed by large sample size direct head-to-head studies.
- Moher D, Hopewell S, Schulz KF, et al (2010). CONSORT 2010 explanation and elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials. J Clin Epidemiol, 63, l-37.
- Zhuang SR, Chen SL, Tsai JH, et al (2009). Effect of citronellol and the Chinese medical herb complex on cellular immunity of cancer patients receiving chemotherapy/radiotherapy. Phytother Res, 23, 785-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2623
- Singh PP, Singh S (2013). Statins are associated with reduced risk of gastric cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Oncol, 24, 1721-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt150
- Sutton A, Ades AE, Cooper N, Abrams K (2008). Use of indirect and mixed treatment comparisons for technology assessment. Pharmaco economics, 26, 753-67. https://doi.org/10.2165/00019053-200826090-00006
- Tian JH, Li L, Liu AP, et al (2012). Same topic of systematic reviews,same conclusion? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5325. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5325
- van Valkenhoef G, Tervonen T, Zwinkels T, et al (2013). ADDIS: a decision support system for evidence-based medicine. Decision Support Systems, 55, 459-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.10.005
- Molassiotis A, Potrata B, Cheng K (2009). A systematic review of the effectiveness of Chinese herbal medication in symptom management and improvement of quality of life in adult cancer patients. Complement Ther Med, 17, 92-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2008.11.002
- Xu YX, Wang SL (2011). Clinical observation of traditional Chinese medicine combined with FOLFOX4 chemotherapy regimen in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Chin J Rural Med and Pharmacy, 18, 45-6.
- Xu L, Lao LX, Ge A et al (2007). Chinese herbal medicine for cancer pain. Integ Cancer Ther, 6, 208-34. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735407305705
- Xu Y, Wang Y, Wang W (2013). Meta-analysis of traditional Chinese medicine combined with chemotherapy in postoperative patients with gastric cancer. Chin Med Herald, 10, 67-70.
- Xiao W (2008). The curative effect of FOLFOX4 regimen in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Modern Oncol, 16, 241-3.
- Jin ML (2007). The new progress of chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer. Oncology Progress, 5, 18-24.
- Gupta AK, Paquet M (2013). Network meta-analysis of the outcome 'participant complete clearance' in nonimmunosuppressed participants of eight interventions for actinic keratosis: a follow-up on a Cochrane review. Br J Dermatol, 169, 250-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.12343
- Higgins JPT, Green S (2011). Cochrance Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [EB/OL]. The Cochrane Collaboration, [2013.5.16]. http://www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jansen JP, Crawford B, Bergman G, Stam W (2008). Bayesian meta-analysis of multiple treatment comparisons: an introduction to mixed treatment comparisons. Value Health, 11, 956-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2008.00347.x
- Jansen JP (2011). Network meta-analysis of survival data with fractional polynomials. BMC Med Res Methodol, 11, 61. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-11-61
- Jeong JS, Ryu BH, Kim JS, et al (2010). Bojungikki-tang for cancerrelated fatigue: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Integr Cancer Ther, 9, 331-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735410383170
- Lee JJ, Lee JJ (2010). A phase II study of an herbal decoction that includes Astragali radix for cancer-associated anorexia in patients with advanced cancer. Integr Cancer Ther, 9, 24-31.
- Lu G, Ades AE (2004). Combination of direct and indirect evidence in mixed treatment comparisons. Stat Med, 23, 3105-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.1875
- Lu YF, Liu ZC, Li ZH, et al (2014). Esophageal/gastric cancer screening in high-risk populations in Henan Province, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1419-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1419
- Ouwens MJNM, Philips Z, Jansen JP 2011). Network metaanalysis of parametric survival curves. Res Syn Meth, 1, 258-71.
- Cheng MM, Goulart B, Veenstra DL (2012). A network meta-analysis of therapies for previously untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Treat Rev, 38, 1004-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.02.006
- Outcome after Simultaneous Resection of Gastric Primary Tumour and Synchronous Liver Metastases: Survival Analysis of a Single-center Experience in China vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1665
- The advantages of using traditional Chinese medicine as an adjunctive therapy in the whole course of cancer treatment instead of only terminal stage of cancer vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5582/bst.2015.01019
- Network meta-analysis of Chinese herb injections combined with FOLFOX chemotherapy in the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer vol.41, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpt.12410
- Primitive neuroectodermal tumor originating from the lung: A case report vol.12, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4973
- Kanglaite inhibits the expression of drug resistance genes through suppressing PVT1 in cisplatin-resistant gastric cancer cells vol.14, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2017.4650
- Assessing the methodological and reporting quality of network meta-analyses in Chinese medicine vol.97, pp.47, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000013052
- An update on Chinese herbal medicines as adjuvant treatment of anticancer therapeutics vol.12, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5582/bst.2018.01144