- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Dynamics and Liver Disease Specific Aspects of Quality of Life Among Patients with Chronic Liver Disease in Yunnan, China
- Che, Yan-Hua (Breast Disease Center, The First Peoples Hospital of Kunming) ;
- You, Jing (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Chongsuvivatwong, Virasakdi (Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University) ;
- Li, Li (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Peoples Hospital of Kunming) ;
- Sriplung, Hucha (Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University) ;
- Yan, Yuan-Zhi (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Ma, Si-Jia (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Xiaoli (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Shen, Ting (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Chen, He-Min (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Rao, Shao-Feng (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Ru-Yi (The First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University)
- Published : 2014.06.30
Background: Patients with chronic liver diseases (CLD) may have compromised health related quality of life (HRQoL). Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection has long been the leading cause of CLD including liver cancer and cirrhosis. Knowledge on different symptom profiles of CLD should help in development of comprehensive treatment and patient care plans. Objective: To access the facets of HRQoL in chronic liver diseases throughout their spectrum of severity. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted in the First Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University in Yunnan Province of China. Both out- and inpatients undergoing treatment protocols for different HBV related liver disease states were consecutively collected from December 2012 to June 2013. ANOVA was used to compare the mean scores of EQ-5D and chronic liver disease questionnaire (CLDQ) among 5 disease groups. The relationship between demographic variables predicting global CLDQ scores and the domains of CLDQ was analysed. Results: A total of 1040 patients including 520 without complications, 91 with compensated cirrhosis, 198 with decompensated cirrhosis, 131 with HCC and 100 with liver failure were recruited. All domains of CLDQ, the means of EQ-5D value and EQ VAS exhibited significant decline with worsening of disease severity from uncomplicated HBV to liver failure. The multivariate regression demonstrated the reduction of mean scores of CLDQ domain at advanced stage. Patients with liver failure and HCC had more HRQoL impairment than other disease states. No effect of patient gender was found. Patient age was associated with 'fatigue' and 'worry' domains (p=0.006; p=0.004) but not with other domains and global scores of CLDQ and ED-5D. Conclusions: The HRQoL in chronic hepatitis B patients is greatly affected by disease states. Care for HBV-related diseases should consider not only the outcomes of treatment strategies but also improvement in patient wellbeing.
- Chong CA, Gulamhussein A, Heathcote EJ, et al (2003). Healthstate utilities and quality of life in hepatitis C patients. Am J Gastroenterol, 98, 630-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07332.x
- Beasley RP, Hwang LY, Lin CC, et al (1981). Hepatocellular carcinoma and hepatitis B virus. A prospective study of 22 707 men in Taiwan. Lancet, 2, 1129-33.
- Brooks R (1996). EuroQol: the current state of play. Health Policy, 37, 53-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(96)00822-6
- Chinese Society of Hepatology and Chinese Society of Infectious Diseases, C. M. A. (2011). The guideline of prevention and treatment for chronic hepatitis B (2010 version) J ClinHepatol, 27, 1-11.
- Cordoba J, Flavia M, Jacas C, et al (2003). Quality of life and cognitive function in hepatitis C at different stages of liver disease. J Hepatol, 39, 231-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(03)00189-2
- The EuroQol Group (1990). EuroQol-a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy, 16, 199-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9
- Ghany MG, Strader DB, Thomas DL, et al (2009). Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment of Hepatitis C: An Update. Hepatology, 49, 1335-74. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.22759
- Guyatt GH, Feeny DH, Patrick DL (1993). Measuring healthrelated quality of life. Ann Intern Med, 118, 622-9. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-118-8-199304150-00009
- Lam ET, Lam CL, Lai CL, et al (2009). Health-related quality of life of Southern Chinese with chronic hepatitis B infection. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 7, 52. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-7-52
- Lee WM. (1997). Hepatitis B virus infection. N Engl J Med, 337, 1733-45. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199712113372406
- Lesmana LA, Leung NW, Mahachai V, et al (2006). Hepatitis B: overview of the burden of disease in the Asia-Pacific region. Liver Int, 26, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2006.01370.x
- Marchesini G, Bianchi G, Amodio P, et al (2001). Factors associated with poor health-related quality of life of patients with cirrhosis. Gastroenterology, 120, 170-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.2001.21193
- Arguedas MR, DeLawrence TG, McGuire BM (2003). Influence of hepatic encephalopathy on health-related quality of life in patients with cirrhosis. Dig Dis Sci, 48, 1622-6. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024784327783
- R Core Team (2013). "R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria."
- Younossi ZM, Boparai N, Price LL, et al (2001). Health-related quality of life in chronic liver disease: the impact of type and severity of disease. Am J Gastroenterol, 96, 2199-205. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2001.03956.x
- Younossi ZM, Guyatt G, Kiwi M, et al (1999). Development of a disease specific questionnaire to measure health related quality of life in patients with chronic liver disease. Gut 45, 295-300. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.45.2.295
- Ministry of Public Health of P.R.C. (2011) "The guideline of prevention and treatment for primary liver cancer (PLC) (2011 version) Chinese Clinical Oncology, 16, 929-46.
- Ong JP, Younossi ZM (2005). Approach to the diagnosis and treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Liver Dis, 9, 617-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cld.2005.07.002
- Pettersen KI, Reikvam A, Rollag A, et al (2008). Understanding sex differences in health-related quality of life following myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol, 130, 449-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2007.10.016
- Rodrigue JR, Baz MA (2006). Are there sex differences in healthrelated quality of life after lung transplantation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? J Heart Lung Transplant, 25, 120-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2005.02.005
- Sobhonslidsuk A, Silpakit C, Kongsakon R, et al (2004). Chronic liver disease questionnaire: translation and validation in Thais. World J Gastroenterol, 10, 1954-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v10.i13.1954
- Tongsiri S (2009). "The Thai population-based preference scores for EQ-5D health states [Internet]. Bangkok: HITAP." A
- Ware J, Kosinski M, Keller S (1994). SF-36 physical and mental health summary scales: A user's manual. Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center.
- WHO (2012). "international classification of diseases (ICD)." Retrieved 2013-12-26, from http://www.who.int/ classifications/icd/en/
- Xincai H, Hua Zh, Yan L, et al (2012). Psychometrics of the chronic liver disease questionnaire for patients with posthepatic B cirrhosis. Chin J Hepatol, 20, 8621-7.
- Younossi Z, Boparai N, McCormick M, et al (2001). Assessment of utiliutilities and health-related quality of life in patients with chronic liver disease. Gastroenterol, 96, 579-583.
- Symptom prevalence and quality of life of patients with end-stage liver disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis pp.1477-030X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216318807051
- The quality of life in Chinese population with chronic non-communicable diseases according to EQ-5D-3L: a systematic review vol.27, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-018-1928-y
- Hepatitis B Virus Infection vol.41, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/SGA.0000000000000335
- Psychological Disorders and Quality of Life Among Patients With Chronic Viral Hepatitis vol.41, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/SGA.0000000000000339