- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Job Scheduling and the Efficiency for Multi-core Mobile GPU
멀티코어형 모바일 GPU의 작업 분배 및 효율성 분석
- Lim, Hyojeong (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Han, Donggeon (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyungshin (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.03.21
- Accepted : 2014.07.10
- Published : 2014.07.31
Mobile GPU has led to the rapid development of smart phone graphic technology. Most recent smart phones are equipped with high-performance multi-core GPU. How a multi-core mobile GPU can be utilized efficiently will be a critical issue for improving the smart phone performance. On the other hand, most current research has focused on a single-core mobile GPU; studies of multi-core mobile GPU are rare. In this paper, the job scheduling patterns and the efficiency of multi-core mobile GPU are analyzed. In the profiling result, despite the higher number of GPU cores, the total processing time required for certain graphics applications were increased. In addition, when GPU is processing for 3D games, a substantial amount of overhead is caused by communication between not only the CPU and GPU, but also within the GPUs. These results confirmed that more active research for multi-core mobile GPU should be performed to optimize the present mobile GPUs.
Job scheduling;Mobile GPU;Multi-core GPU;Profiling
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- GFXBench, GLBenchmark, http://www.glbenchmark.com/
- NVIDIA, CUDA Toolkit, Available:https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads
- TechPowerUp, GPU-Z, http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz
- Aurora Softworks, Quadrant Benchmark, http://www.aurorasoftworks.com/
- Akenine-Moller, T. and Strom, J., "Graphics processing units for handhelds", Proceedings of the IEEE 96(5), 779-789, 2008 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2008.917719 https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2008.917719
- ARM, DS-5 Streamline, www.arm.com
- Sunpyo Hong, Hyesoon Kim, "An Integrated GPU Power and Performance Model.", In ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture News, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1816038.1815998 https://doi.org/10.1145/1816038.1815998
- NVIDIA, "NVIDIA CUDA Programming Guide", 1, 2.2, 7, 2011.
- J.-H. Kim, J.-S. Kim "Implementation of Efficient Power Method on CUDA GPU." Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 9-16, February 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2011.16.2.009 https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2011.16.2.009
- KATO, S., LAKSHMANAN, K., KUMAR, A., KELKAR, M., ISHIKAWA, Y., AND RAJKUMAR, R., "RGEM: A responsive GPGPU execution model for runtime engines.", In Proc. of IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp. 57-66, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/RTSS.2011.13 https://doi.org/10.1109/RTSS.2011.13
- KATO, S., LAKSHMANAN, K., RAJKUMAR, R., ISHIKAWA, Y., "TimeGraph:GPU scheduling for real-time multi-tasking environments.", In Proc. of USENIX Annual Technical Conference, 2011.
- M. Kim, W. Choi, "Range Query Method of R-tree for Efficient Parallel Processing on GPU", Journal of KIISE : Computing Practices and Letters, vol.18, no.5, 409-413, May. 2012.
- H. choi, H. Jeon, C. Kim, "Quantitative Analysys of the Negative Factors on the GPU Performance", Journal of KIISE : Computing Practices and Letters, vol.18, no.4, pp.257-350, Apr. 2012.
- Khronos Group, "The OpenCL Specification", Version 1.0, 7, 2009.
- Mian Dong, Lin Zhong, and Zhigang Deng, "Performance and Power Consumption Characterization of 3D Mobile Games", In IEEE Computer Society, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MC.2012.190 https://doi.org/10.1109/MC.2012.190