- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Cognitive Function on Climacteric Symptoms and Quality of Life in the Middle-aged Women
중년여성의 갱년기 증상과 삶의 질의 관계에 대한 인지기능의 매개효과
- Lee, Jeong-Hwa (Department of Nursing, Yeungnam University College) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Hae (Department of Nursing, Kimcheon Science College) ;
- Kim, Gyung-Duck (Department of Nursing, Dongyang University)
- Received : 2014.06.03
- Accepted : 2014.07.10
- Published : 2014.07.31
This study was conducted to extend the understanding and knowledge by examining the effect of climacteric symptoms and the cognitive function on QoL(Quality of life) of middle aged women. This study was conducted from March 2nd to March 10th, 2014. The data was collected by self-report questionnaires from 204 middle aged women. There was a significantly positive correlation between the climacteric symptoms and cognitive function. A significantly negative correlation was observed between the climacteric symptoms and QoL. The climacteric symptoms were a direct predictor and an indirect predicator of QoL mediated by the cognitive function. The study suggests that nursing intervention is needed to manage the climacteric symptoms and cognitive function for improving the QoL of middle aged women.
- Statistics Korea. http://kostat.go.kr. (accessed March, 1, 2014)
- Calvaresi, E., & Bryan, J. "Symptom experience in Australian men and women in midlife", Maturitas, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 225-236, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5122(03)00037-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5122(03)00037-9
- S. A. Kim, "Impact of attitude to developmental phenomena and menopausal symptoms to the meaning of life among climacteric women", The Korean gerontological society, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 631-664, 2012.
- Al-Safi, Z.A., & Santoro, N. "Menopausal hormone therapy and menopausal symptoms", Fertil Steril. Vol. 101, No. 4, pp. 905-915, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2014.02.032 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2014.02.032
- Woods, N.F., Cray, L., Mitchell, E.S., & Herting, J.R. "Endocrine biomarkers and symptom clusters during the menopausal transition and early postmenopause: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study", Menopause, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 646-652, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000000122 https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000000122
- Kaasa, S., & Loge, J.H. "Quality of life in palliative care: principles and practice", Palliat Med. Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 11-20, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1191/0269216303pm662ra https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216303pm662ra
- Y. R. Chae, & M. A. Choi, "Development of a quality of life scale for patients with breast cncer in Korea", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 486-495, 2001.
- Reich, M., Lesur, A., & Perdrizet-Chevallier, C. "Depression, quality of life and breast cancer: a review of the literature", Breast Cancer Res Treat., Vol. 110, No. 1, pp. 9-17, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9706-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9706-5
- Berent-Spillson, A., Persad, C.C., Love, T., Sowers, M., Randolph, J.F., Zubieta, J.K., & Smith, Y.R. "Hormonal environment affects cognition independent of age during the menopause transition", J Clin Endocrinol Metab., Vol. 97. No. 9, pp. 1686-1694, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-1365 https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-1365
- E. M. Jun, & D. S. Cho, "The Relationship of symptoms of stress, cancer prevention behavior and the quality of life in women", Korean J Women Health Nurs., Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 156-162, 2005.
- Z. D. Yang, J. Yu, & Q. Zhang, "Effects of raloxifene on cognition, mental health, sleep and sexual function in menopausal women: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials", Maturitas, Vol. S0378-5122, No. 13, pp. 00158-8, 2013.
- Goveas, J.S., Espeland, M.A., Woods, N.F., Wassertheil-Smoller, S., & Kotchen, J.M. "Depressive symptoms and incidence of mild cognitive impairment and probable dementia in elderly women: the Women's Health Initiative Memory Study", J Am Geriatr Soc., Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 57-66, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03233.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03233.x
- H. J. Lee, & S. K. Kahng, "Age and gender difference in cognitive functioning among elderly", Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 179-203, 2011.
- Weber, M.T., Maki, P.M., & McDermott, M.P., "Cognition and mood in perimenopause: A systematic review and meta-analysis", J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol., Vol. S0960-0760, No. 13, pp. 00111-8, 2013.
- H. S. Jo, & K. J. Lee, "A comparative study on climacteric symptoms of natural menopausal women and artificial menopausal women", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 692-702, 2001. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.4.692
- B. Y. Chung, E. H. Choi. G. D. Kim, K. H. Kim, & H. S. Byun, "Development of the cognitive function scale for breast cancer patients", Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Seoul, Korea, 2011.
- Y. J. Ro, "A analytical study the quality of life of the middle-age in Seoul", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 1998.
- M. J. Han, & J. H. Lee, "Factors influencing self-identity and menopausal symptoms on level of depression in middle-aged women", Korean J Women Health Nurs, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 275-284, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.4.275 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.4.275
- D. E. Chung, & K. M. Sung, "The effects of an integrated management program on climacteric symptoms and depression in middle-aged women", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 40-47, 2011.
- Y. R. Kweon, Y. H. Kang, & K. R. Shin, "Menopausal symptom, attitudes toward menopause, and depression in the middle aged women", Korean Academic Society of Womens Health, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 81-98, 2011.
- B. H. Park, "The relationship between the stress and climacteric symptoms of middle-aged women", Unpublished master thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea, 2000.
- M. S. Yoo, "A Comparative study on complaints of menopausal symptom of nuns and mrried women", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 18-28, 2000. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.1.18
- Weber, M.T., Rubin, L.H., & Maki, P,M. "Cognition in perimenopause: The effect of transition stage", Menopause, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 511-527, 2013.
- Berent-Spillson, A., Persad, C.C., Love, T., Sowers, M., Randolph, JF, Zubieta, J.K., & Smith, Y.R. "Hormonal environment affects cognition independent of age during the menopause transition", J Clin Endocrinol Metab. Vol. 97, No. 9, pp. 1686-94, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-1365 https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-1365
- B. J. Koo, "A study of climacteric symptoms, hwabyung and quality of life in middle-aged women", Global Social Welfare Review, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 5-24, 2013.
- H. S. Park, S. G. Kim, & G. Y. Jo, "A study on climacteric symptoms, depression and quality of life in middle- aged women", J. Korean Acad Women Health Nurs, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 479- 488, 2003.
- S. A. Kim, "Impact of Attitude to Developmental phenomena and menopausal symptoms to the meaning of life among climacteric women", The Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 631-647, 2012.
- H. S. Park, Y. M. Lee, & G. Y. Cho, "A study on climacteric symptoms, knowledge of menopause, menopausal management in middle-aged women", Korean Society of Womens Health Nursing, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 521-528, 2002.
- M. H. Sung, "Self-reported climacteric symptoms, self concept and depression in middle-aged women", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 102-113, 2002.
- K.R. Shin, E. H. Hwang, & S. J. Shin, "Study on the climacteric symptoms of adult women in the civilian controlled rural area", Korean Academic Society of Womens Health, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 177-193, 2004.
- Zelinski, E.M. & Gilewski, M.J. "Effects of demographic and health variables on Rasch scaled cognitive scores", J Aging Health, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 435-64, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264303253499
- Hakansson, K., Rovio, S., Helkala, E.L., Vilska, A.R., Winblad, B., Soininen, H., Nissinen, A., Mohammed, A.H., & Kivipelto, M. "Association between mid-life marital status and cognitive function in later life: population based cohort study", BMJ., Vol. 339, pp. b2462, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2462
- K. Shin, & J. Yang, "Influencing factors on quality of life of middle-aged women living in rural area", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 7, pp. 999-1007, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.7.999