- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Damage assessment and performance-based seismic design of timber-steel hybrid shear wall systems
- Li, Zheng (Department of Building Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- He, Minjuan (Department of Building Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Li, Minghao (Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia) ;
- Lam, Frank (Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia)
- Received : 2014.03.02
- Accepted : 2014.04.03
- Published : 2014.07.31
This paper presents a reliability-based analysis on seismic performance of timber-steel hybrid shear wall systems. Such system is composed of steel moment resisting frame and infill wood frame shear wall. The performance criteria of the hybrid system with respect to different seismic hazard levels were determined through a damage assessment process, and the effectiveness of the infill wood shear walls on improving the seismic performance of the hybrid systems was evaluated. Performance curves were obtained by considering different target non-exceedance probabilities, and design charts were further established as a function of seismic weight. Wall drift responses and shear forces in wood-steel bolted connections were used as performance criteria in establishing the performance curves to illustrate the proposed design procedure. It was found that the presence of the infill wood shear walls significantly reduced the non-performance probabilities of the hybrid wall systems. This study provides performance-based seismic evaluations on the timber-steel hybrid shear walls in support of future applications of such hybrid systems in multi-story buildings.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Wang, C. and Wen, Y. (2000), "Evaluation of pre-Northbridge low-rise steel buildings. II: reliability", J. Struct. Eng., 126(10), 1169-1176. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:10(1169)
- Pang, W., Rosowsky, D., Pei, S. and van de Lindt, J.W. (2010), "Simplified direct displacement design of six-story woodframe building and pretest seismic performance assessment", J. Struct. Eng., 136(7), 813-825. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000181
- Sakamoto, I., Kawai, N., Okada, H., Yamaguchi, N., Isoda, H. and Yusa, S. (2004), "Final report of a research and development project on timber-based hybrid building structures", Proceeding of the 8th World Conf. on Timber Engineering, WCTE2004, Lahti, Finland.
- Smith, T., Fragiacomo, M., Pampanin, S. and Buchanan, A. (2009), "Construction time and cost estimates for post-tensioned multi-storey timber buildings", Proceeding of the Institutions of Civil Engineers, Construct. Mater., 162(4), 141-149. https://doi.org/10.1680/coma.2009.162.4.141
- Tong, X., Hajjar, J.F., Schultz, A.E. and Shield, C.K. (2005), "Cyclic behavior of steel frame structures with composite reinforced concrete infill walls and partially-restrained connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(4), 531-552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.10.002
- Van de Lindt, J.W., Pei, S., Pryor, S.E., Shimizu, H. and Isoda, H. (2010), "Experimental seismic response of a full-scale six-story light-frame wood building", J. Struct. Eng., 136(10), 1262-1272. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000222
- Zhou, L., Chen, Z., Chui, Y.H., Ni, C. and Asiz, A. (2012), "Seismic performance of mid-rise light wood frame structure connected with reinforced masonry core", Proceeding of the 12th World Conference on Timber Engineering, WCTE2012, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Filiatrault, A. and Folz, B. (2002), "Performance-based seismic design of wood frame buildings", J. Struct. Eng., 128(1), 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:1(39)
- Fragiacomo, M., Dujic, B. and Sustersic, I. (2011), "Elastic and ductile design of multi-storey crosslam massive wooden buildings under seismic actions", Eng. Struct., 33(11), 3043-3053. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.05.020
- Gu, J. (2006), "An efficient approach to evaluate seismic performance and reliability of wooden shear walls", Ph.D Thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- Kazantzi, A.K., Righiniotis, T.D. and Chryssanthopoulos, M.K. (2008), "Fragility and hazard analysis of a welded steel moment resisting frame", J. Earthq. Eng., 12(4), 596-615. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460701512993
- Gu, J. and Lam, F. (2004), "Simplified mechanics-based wood frame shear wall model", Proceeding of the 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Paper No. 3109. Vancouver, Canada.
- He, M., Li, Z., Lam, F., Ma, R. and Ma, Z. (2013), "Experimental investigation on lateral performance of timber-steel hybrid shear wall systems", J. Struct. Eng., (10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000855). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000855
- IBC. (2012), 2012 International Building Code, International Code Council, Washington, D.C.
- Kazantzi, A.K., Righiniotis, T.D. and Chryssanthopoulos, M.K. (2011), "A simplified fragility methodology for regular steel MRFs", J. Earthq. Eng., 15(3), 390-403. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2010.498559
- Kim, J.H. and Rosowsky, D. (2005). "Fragility analysis for performance-based seismic design of engineered wood shearwalls", J. Struct. Eng., 131(11), 1764-1773. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:11(1764)
- Kinali, K. and Ellingwood, B. (2007), "Seismic fragility assessment of steel frames for consequence-based engineering: A case study for Memphis, TN", Eng. Struct., 29(6), 1115-1127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.08.017
- Krawinkler, H., Parisi, F., Ibarra, L., Ayoub, A. and Medina, R. (2000), "Development of a testing protocol for wood frame structures'', CUREE Publication No. W-02, Consortium of Universities for Research in Earthquake Engineering, Richmond, California.
- Li, M., Lam, F. and Foschi, R.O. (2009), "Seismic reliability analysis of diagonal-braced and structuralpanel- sheathed wood shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., 135(5), 587-596. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000008
- Li, M., Lam, F., Foschi, R.O., Nakajima, S. and Nakagawa, T. (2012a), "Seismic performance of post-andbeam timber buildings I: model development and verification", J. Wood Sci., 58(1), 20-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-011-1219-5
- Li, M., Lam, F., Foschi, R.O., Nakajima, S. and Nakagawa, T. (2012b), "Seismic performance of post-andbeam timber buildings II: reliability evaluations", J. Wood Sci., 58(2), 135-143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-011-1232-8
- Li, M., Foschi, R.O. and Lam, F. (2012c), "Modeling hysteretic behavior of wood shear walls with a protocol-independent nail connection algorithm", J. Struct. Eng., 138(1), 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000438
- Li, Z., He, M., Lam, F., Li, M., Ma, R. and Ma Z. (2013), "Finite element modeling and parametric analysis of timber-steel hybrid structures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 2013, DOI: 10.1002/tal.1107. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1107
- ASCE 7-10. (2010), "Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures", American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- ASCE/SEI-41. (2006), "Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings", American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- Buchanan, A.H., Deam, B., Fragiacomo, M., Pampanin, S. and Palermo, A. (2008), "Multi-storey prestressed timber buildings in New Zealand", Struct. Eng. Int., 18(2), 166-173. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686608784218635
- Ceccotti, A., Sandhaas, C., Okabe, M., Yasumura, M., Minowa, C. and Kawai, N. (2013), "SOFIE project - 3D shaking table test on a seven-storey full-scale cross-laminated timber building", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(13), 2003-2021. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2309
- Chinese Standard GB 50017-2003, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's republic of China (MOHURD). (2003), "Code for design of steel structures", Beijing, China (in Chinese).
- Chinese Standard GB\T1231-2006, China Machinery Industry Federation. (2006), "Specifications of high strength bolts with large hexagon head, large hexagon nuts, plain washers for steel structures", Beijing, China (in Chinese).
- Dickof, C., Stiemer, S.F. and Tesfamariam, S. (2012), "Wood-steel hybrid seismic force resisting systems: seismic ductility", Proceeding of the 12th World Conference on Timber Engineering, WCTE2012, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Direct Displacement-Based Design of a Novel Hybrid Structure: Steel Moment-Resisting Frames with Cross-Laminated Timber Infill Walls vol.32, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1193/101514EQS159M