- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Higher-mode effects for soil-structure systems under different components of near-fault ground motions
- Khoshnoudian, Faramarz (Department of Civil Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic)) ;
- Ahmadi, Ehsan (Department of Civil Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic)) ;
- Sohrabi, Sina (School of Engineering, Shiraz University) ;
- Kiani, Mahdi (Deprtment of Civil Engineering, Babol Noshirvani Institue of Technology)
- Received : 2013.08.27
- Accepted : 2014.03.04
- Published : 2014.07.31
This study is devoted to estimate higher-mode effects for multi-story structures with considering soil-structure interaction subjected to decomposed parts of near-fault ground motions. The soil beneath the super-structure is simulated based on the Cone model concept. Two-dimensional structural models of 5, 15, and 25-story shear buildings are idealized by using nonlinear stick models. The ratio of base shears for the soil-MDOF structure system to those obtained from the equivalent soil-SDOF structure system is selected as an estimator to quantify the higher-mode effects. The results demonstrate that the trend of higher-mode effects is regular for pulse component and has a descending variation with respect to the pulse period, whereas an erratic pattern is obtained for high-frequency component. Moreover, the effect of pulse component on higher modes is more significant than high-frequency part for very short-period pulses and as the pulse period increases this phenomenon becomes vice-versa. SSI mechanism increases the higher-mode effects for both pulse and high-frequency components and slenderizing the super-structure amplifies such effects. Furthermore, for low story ductility ranges, increasing nonlinearity level leads to intensify the higher-mode effects; however, for high story ductility, such effects mitigates.
- Aviles, J. and Perez-Rocha, L.E. (2003), "Soil-structure interaction in yielding systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32, 1749-1771. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.300
Aviles, J. and Perez-Rocha, L.E. (2005), "Influence of Foundation Flexibility on R_
$\mu$and C_ $\mu$Factors", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 131(2), 221-230. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(221)
- Aviles, J. and Perez-Rocha, L.E. (2011), "'Use of global ductility for design of structure-foundation systems", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 31, 1018-1026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.03.008
- Bielak, J. (1978), "Dynamic response of non-linear building-foundation systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 7, 17-30.
- Baker, J.W. (2007), "Quantitative classification of near-fault ground motions using wavelet analysis", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 97(5), 1486-1501. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120060255
- Alavi, B. and Krawinkler, H. (2004), "Behaviour of moment resisting frame structures subjected to nearfault ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 33, 687-706. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.369
- ASCE/SEI 7-10 9 (2010), "Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures", Published by American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Chopra, A.K. and Gutierrez, J.A. (1974), "Earthquake response analysis of multistory building including foundation interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 2002, 65-77.
- Elsheikh, A. and Ghobarah, A. (2004), "Response of RC structures to near-fault records", Emirates J. Eng. Res., 9(2), 45-51.
- FEMA 440 (2005), "Improvement of nonlinear static seismic analysis procedures", Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington DC, US.
- Ghahari, S.F., Jahankhah, H. and Ghannad, M.A. (2010), "'Study on elastic response of structures to nearfault ground motions through record decomposition", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 30, 536-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2010.01.009
- Ghannad, M.A., Fukuwa, N. and Nishizaka, R. (1998), "A study on the frequency and damping of soil- structure systems using a simplified model", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 44, 85-93.
- Ghannad, M.A. and Ahmadnia, A. (2006), "The effect of soil-structure interaction on the inelastic structural demands", Euro. Earthq. Eng., 20(1), 23-35.
- Ghobarah, A. (2004), "Response of structures to near-fault ground motion", Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Kam, W.Y., Pampanin, S., Palermo, A. and Carr, A.J. (2010), "Self-centering structural systems with combination of hysteretic and viscous energy dissipations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(10), 1083-1108.
- Hubbard, D.T. and Mavroeidis, G.P. (2011), "Damping coefficients for near-fault ground motion response spectra", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 31, 401-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2010.09.009
- Iervolino, I., Chioccarelli, E. and Baltzopoulos, G. (2012), "Inelastic displacement ratio of near-source pulse-like ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2167. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2167
- Kalkan, E. and Kunnath, S.K. (2006), "Effects of fling step and forward directivity on seismic response of buildings", Earthq. Spect., 22(2), 367-390. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2192560
- Mavroeidis, G.P. and Papageorgiou, A.S. (2002), "Near-source strong ground motion: characteristics and design issues", Proceedings of the Seventh U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering (7NCEE), Boston, Massachusetts.
- Mavroeidis, G.P. and Papageorgiou, A.S. (2003), "A mathematical representation of near- fault ground motions", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 93(3), 1099-1131. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120020100
- Mavroeidis, G.P., Dong, G. and Papageorgiou, A.S. (2004), "Near-fault ground motions, and the response of elastic and inelastic single-degree-freedom (SDOF) systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 33, 1023-1049. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.391
- Mylonakis, G. and Reinhorn, A.M. (2001), "Yielding oscillator under triangular ground acceleration pulse", J. Earthq. Eng., 5, 225-251.
- Mylonakis, G. and Voyagaki, E. (2006), "Yielding oscillator subjected to simple pulse waveforms: numerical analysis&closed-form solutions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(15), 1949-1974. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.615
- Nakhaei, M. and Ghannad, M.A. (2004), "Effect of soil-structure interaction on energy dissipation of buildings", Proceedings of ICEBAM international conference on earthquake engineering, A Memorial of Bam Disaster, Paper Reference 1066.
- MATLAB software, version 2011, MATtrix LABoratory, http://www.mathworks.com.
- Nakhaei, M. and Ghannad, M.A. (2008), "The effect of soil-structure interaction on damage index of buildings", Eng. Struct., 30, 1491-1499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.009
- Novak, M. (1974), "Effect of soil on structural response to wind and earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 3, 79-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290030107
- Makris, N. and Roussos, Y. (1998), Rocking Response and Overturning of Equipment under Horizontal Pulse-Type Motion, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER), Report No. 05.
- Meek, W. and Wolf, J.P. (1993), "Why cone models can represent the elastic half-space", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 22, 759-771. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290220903
- Meek, W. and Wolf, J.P. (1994), "Material Damping for Lumped-Parameter Models of Foundation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 23, 349-362. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290230402
- Muller, F.P. and Keintzel, E. (1982), "Ductility requirements for flexibly supported antiseismic structures", Proceedings of the 7th European conference on earthquake engineering.
- Rodriguez, M.E. and Montes, R. (2000), "Seismic response and damage analysis of buildings supported on flexible soils", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29, 647-665. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(200005)29:5<647::AID-EQE929>3.0.CO;2-A
- Seekings, L.C. and Boatwright, J. (2010), "Rupture directivity of moderate earthquakes in Northern California", Bull. Seimol. Soc. Am., 100(3), 1107-1109. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120090161
- Sehhati, R., Rodriguez-Marek, A., ElGawady, M. and Cofer, W.F. (2011), "Effects of near-fault ground motions and equivalent pulses on multi-story structures", Eng. Struct., 33, 767-779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.11.032
- Shiming, W. and Gang, G. (1998). Dynamic soil-structure interaction for high-rise buildings, Developments Geotech. Eng., 83, 203-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-1250(98)80014-X
- Spudich, P. and Chiou, B.S.J. (2008), "Directivity in NGA earthquake ground motions: analysis using isochrone theory", Earthq. Spect., 24(1), 279-298. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2928225
- Somerville, P.G., Smith, N.F., Graves, R.W. and Abrahamson, N.A. (1997), "Modification of empirical strong motion attenuation relations to include the amplitude and duration effects of rupture directivity", Seismol. Res. Lett., 68(1), 199-222. https://doi.org/10.1785/gssrl.68.1.199
- Somerville, P.G. (2000), "New developments in seismic hazard estimation", Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Seismic Zonation, Palm Springs, California.
- Takewaki, I. (1998), "Equivalent linear ductility design of soil-structure interaction systems", Eng. Struct., 20(8), 655-662. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00110-7
- Tang,Y. and Zhang, J. (2011), "Response spectrum-oriented pulse identification and magnitude scaling of forward directivity pulses in near-fault ground motions", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 31, 59-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2010.08.006
- Veletsos, A.S. (1977), "Dynamic of structure-foundation systems", In: Hal WJ, Ed. Structural and Geotechnical Mechanics, Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall.
- Wolf, J.P. (1994), "Foundation vibration analysis using simple physical models", Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall.
- Wolf, J.P. and Deeks, A.J. (2004), "Foundation vibration analysis: a strength-of-materials approach".
- Xu, Z. and Agrawal, A. (2010), "Decomposition and effects of pulse components in near-field ground Motions", J. Struct. Eng., 136(6), 690-699. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000122
- Zhang, Y. and Iwan, W.D. (2002), "Active interaction control of tall buildings subjected to near-field ground motions", J. Struct. Eng., 128, 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:1(69)
- Overstrength factors for SDOF and MDOF systems with soil structure interaction vol.10, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.6.1273
- Estimation of inelastic displacement factor of soil-shallow-foundation MDOF systems incorporating higher modes effect vol.26, pp.18, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1402
- Study on Low-Frequency Characterizations of Pulse-Type Ground Motions through Multi-Resolution Analysis vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2015.1104761
- More adequate seismic design force pattern for yielding structures considering structural and ground motion uncertainties effects vol.27, pp.16, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1537