- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimating floor spectra in multiple degree of freedom systems
- Calvi, Paolo M. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Toronto) ;
- Sullivan, Timothy J. (Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Universita' degli Studi di Pavia)
- Received : 2013.11.11
- Accepted : 2014.03.03
- Published : 2014.07.31
As the desire for high performance buildings increases, it is increasingly evident that engineers require reliable methods for the estimation of seismic demands on both structural and non-structural components. To this extent, improved tools for the prediction of floor spectra would assist in the assessment of acceleration sensitive non-structural and secondary components. Recently, a new procedure was successfully developed and tested for the simplified construction of floor spectra, at various levels of elastic damping, atop single-degree-of-freedom structures. This paper extends the methodology to multi-degree-of-freedom (MDOF) supporting systems responding in the elastic range, proposing a simplified modal combination approach for floor spectra over upper storeys and accounting for the limited filtering of the ground motion input that occurs over lower storeys. The procedure is tested numerically by comparing predictions with floor spectra obtained from time-history analyses of RC wall structures of 2- to 20-storeys in height. Results demonstrate that the method performs well for MDOF systems responding in the elastic range. Future research should further develop the approach to permit the prediction of floor spectra in MDOF systems that respond in the inelastic range.
- Chopra, A.K. (2000), "Dynamics of structures", Pearson Education, USA.
- Biggs, J.M. (1971), "Seismic response spectra for equipment design in nuclear power plants", Proceeding of the 1st International Conference Struct. Mech. Rreact. Techn., Berlin, Paper K4/7.
- Carr, A.J. (2009), Ruaumoko3D - A program for Inelastic Time-History Analysis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
- CEN EC8 (2004), Eurocode 8 - Design Provisions for Earthquake Resistant Structures, EN-1998-1:2004: E, Comite Europeen de Normalization, Brussels, Belgium.
- Garcia, R., Sullivan T.J. and Della Corte, G. (2010), "Development of a displacement-based design method for steel frame-RC wall buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 14(2), 252-277. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460902995138
- Igusa, T. and Der Kiureghian, A. (1985), "Generation of floor response spectra including oscillator-structure interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 13(5), 661-676. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290130508
- Kumari, R. and Gupta V.K. (2007), "A modal combination rule for peak floor accelerations in multistoried buildings", ISET J. Earthq. Tech., 44(1), 213-231.
- Maley, T.J., Sullivan, T.J. and Della Corte, G. (2010), "Development of a displacement-based design method for steel dual systems with buckling-restrained braces and moment resisting frames", J. Earthq. Eng., 14(1), 106-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632461003651687
- Menon, A. and Magenes, G. (2008), Out-of-plane Seismic Response of Unreinforced Masonry Definition of Seismic Input, Research Report ROSE - 2008/04, IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy, 269 pages.
- Mondal, G. and Jain, S.K. (2005), "Design of non-structural elements for buildings: A review of codal provisions", Indian Concrete J., 79(8), 22-28.
- Rodriguez, M.E., Restrepo, J.I. and Carr, A.J. (2002), "Earthquake-induced floor horizontal accelerations in buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31, 693-718. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.149
- Oropeza, M., Favez, P. and Lestuzzi, P. (2010), "Seismic response of nonstructural components in case of nonlinear structures based on floor response spectra method", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 387-400. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9139-0
- Pennucci, D., Sullivan, T.J. and Calvi, G.M. (2011), Performance-Based Seismic Design of Tall RC Wall Buildings, Research Report ROSE2011/02, IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy, 319pages.
- Priestley, M.J.N., Calvi, G.M. and Kowalsky, M.J. (2007), "Direct displacement-based seismic design", IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy, 720 pages.
- Singh, M.P. (1980), "Seismic design input for secondary systems", J. Struct. Div. ASCE, 106, 505-517.
- Sullivan, T.J. (2011), "An energy factor method for the displacement-based seismic design of RC wall structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 7(15), 1083-1116.
- Sullivan, T.J. (2013), "Highlighting differences between force-based and displacement-based design solutions for RC frame structures", Struct. Eng. Int., 23(2), 122-131. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686613X13439149156958
- Sullivan, T.J., Calvi, P.M. and Nascimbene, R. (2013), "Towards improved floor spectra estimates for seismic design", Earthq. Struct., 4(1), 109-132.. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.1.109
- Taghavi, S. and Miranda, E. (2006), "Seismic demand assessment on acceleration-sensitive building nonstructural components", Proceedings of the 8th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, California, USA, April.
- Vanmarcke, E.H. (1977), "A simplified procedure for predicting amplified response spectra and equipment response", Proceeding of the 6th World Conference Earthquake Engineering III New Delhi, India, 3323-3327.
- Villaverde, R. (2004), "Seismic analysis and design of non-structural elements in Earthquake engineering from engineering seismology to performance-based design", (Eds) Y. Bozorgnia, V.V. Bertero, CRC Press, 19-48.
- Welch, D.P., Sullivan, T.J. and Calvi, G.M. (2014), "Developing direct displacement-based procedures for simplified loss assessment in performance-based earthquake engineering", J. Earthq. Eng., 18(2), 290-322 https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2013.851046
- Welch D.P., Sullivan T.J. and Filiatrault, A. (2014a), "Equivalent structural damping of drift-sensitive nonstructural building components", Proceedings of the 10th National Conference in Earthquake Engineering, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, July.
- Simplified seismic performance assessment and implications for seismic design vol.13, pp.S1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-014-0242-0
- Spectrum-to-spectrum methods for the generation of elastic floor acceleration spectra vol.199, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.09.514
- Code-oriented floor acceleration spectra for building structures vol.15, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-016-0076-4
- A method for the direct estimation of floor acceleration spectra for elastic and inelastic MDOF structures vol.45, pp.15, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2779
- Seismic isolation of buildings using devices based on sliding between surfaces with variable friction coefficient vol.2, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s41062-017-0081-8
- Historical development of friction-based seismic isolation systems vol.106, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.12.003
- Seismic Isolation Devices Based on Sliding Between Surfaces with Variable Friction Coefficient vol.32, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1193/091515EQS139M
- Using ambient vibration measurements to generate experimental floor response spectra and inter-story drift curves of Reinforced Concrete (RC) buildings vol.199, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.09.163
- Floor Spectra of Inelastic RC Frame Buildings Considering Ground Motion Characteristics 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1244134
- Performance-based seismic design of nonstructural building components: The next frontier of earthquake engineering vol.13, pp.S1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-014-0238-9
- Performance-Based Seismic Design of Nonstructural Building Elements pp.1559-808X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2018.1512910
- Seismic performance of non-structural elements during the 2016 Central Italy earthquake pp.1573-1456, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-018-0361-5
- Seismic assessment of an industrial frame-tank system: development of fragility functions pp.1573-1456, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-018-00548-2