- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Knowledge on Cardiovascular Prevention and Nicotine Dependency among Smoking Male College Students
흡연 남자대학생의 심뇌혈관질환에 대한 예방 지식과 니코틴 의존도
- Hwang, Seon Young (Department of Nursing, Hanyang University) ;
- Park, Kyongok (Department of Nursing, Far East University)
- Received : 2013.10.14
- Accepted : 2014.05.07
- Published : 2014.06.30
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the level of knowledge on preventing cardiovascular disease (CVD) and nicotine dependency among smoking male college students, and to examine the predicting factors of nicotine dependency. Methods: This study was conducted as cross-sectional descriptive research using structured questionnaires. Data were collected from 411 smoking male college students (
- Korea National Statistical Office. Korea national health assessment nutritional examination survey in 2007-2010 [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea. 2011. [cited 2013 April 30]. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do
- Shin SR, Linda S, Leda D. Tobacco-related education in graduate, baccalaureate and associate degree programs in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2003;33(2):256-264.
- Lee KH, Jeong MH, Ahn YK, Kim JH, Chae SC, Kim YJ, et al. Sex differences of the clinical characteristics and early management in the Korea acute myocardial infarction registry. Korean Circulation Journal. 2007;37(2):64-71. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2007.37.2.64
- Cho JY, Jeong MH, Ahn Y, Chae SC, Seong IH, Kim YJ, et al. Predictive factors of major adverse cardiac events and clinical outcomes of acute myocardial infarction in young Korean patients. Korean Circulation Journal. 2008;38(3):161-169. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2008.38.3.161
- Rhim KH, Lee JH, Choi MK, Kim CJ. A study of the correlation between college students' drinking and smoking habits. Korean Public Health Research. 2004;30(1):57-70.
- Grundy SM, Pasternak R, Greenland P, Smith S Jr, Fuster V. Assessment of cardiovascular risk by use of multiple-risk-factor assessment equations: A statement for healthcare professionals from the american heart association and the american college of cardiology. Circulation. 1999;100(13):1481-1492. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.100.13.1481
- Colder CR, Lloyd-Richardson EE, Flaherty BP, Hedeker D, Segawa E, Flay BR, et al. The natural history of college smoking: Trajectories of daily smoking during the freshmen year. Addictive Behaviors. 2006;31(12):2212-2222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2006.02.011
- Faqerstrom KO, Schneider NG. Measuring nicotine dependence: A review of the Fagerstrom tolerance questionaire. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 1989;12(2):159-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00846549
- Seo YS, Yoon HJ, Kwon JH, Lee SK. Smoking status and nicotine dependency of high school students in Daegu. The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2003;16(1): 105-119.
- Lee KJ, Chang CJ, Kim MS, Lee MH, Cho YH. Factors associated with success of smoking cessation during 6 months. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;36(5):742-750.
- Seo JM, Lee YM, Park NH, Jo YS, Kim JS, Hwang SK, et al. A study on smoking habits, nicotine dependency and self-efficacy corresponding to stage of change in smoking cessation in industrial workers. Journal of Korean Academic Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 2002;11(4):538-547.
- Kim EY, Hwang SY. Incidence risk of cardiocerebrovascular disease, preventive knowledge, stage of change and health behavior among male bus drivers. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 2011;23(4):321-331.
- Reed MB, Wang R, Shillington AM, Clapp JD, Lange JE. The relationship between alcohol use and cigarette smoking in a sample of undergraduate college students. Addictive Behaviors. 2007;32(3):449-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2006.05.016
- Shin SJ. Case comparison study about cardiovascular disease's risk factor and life habit [master's thesis]. [Seoul]: Kyung Hee University; 2007. 76 p.
- Choi OJ, Cho BH. The effect of supportive nursing care on the knowledge level and compliance of sick-role behavior of patients with coronary artery disease after coronary angiography. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 2007; 19(5):729-738.
- Moon ES, Jung HS, Choi ES. A study on soldiers' knowledge, attitude and health belief about AIDS. Journal of Korean Community Nursing. 2004;15(2):298-307.
- Shin YH, Chun YK, Cho SM, Cho YR. The effects of a sex education program on knowledge related to sexually transmitted diseases and sexual autonomy among university students. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing. 2005;35(7):1304-1313.
- Waters K, Harris K, Hall S, Nazir N, Waigandt A. Characteristics of social smoking among college students. Journal of American College Health. 2006;55(3):133-139. https://doi.org/10.3200/JACH.55.3.133-139
- Park SW. A review of cigarette smoking-related behaviors and health problems among university students. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2011;28(2):35-49.
- National Institute Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcohol screening and brief intervention for youth [Internet]. Rockville: NIAAA Publication and Distribution Center. 2013. [cited 2013 April 30]. Available from: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publica tions/Practi tioner/YouthGuide/YouthGuideOrderForm.htm
- Park HJ. The effects of lifestyle modification education program on the workers' knowledge, attitude and behavior to prevent cerebrocardiovascular diseases in middle and smallsized industries [master's thesis]. [Seoul]: Dongguk University; 2008. 121 p.
- Choi IH. Effect of an agreement on means to achieve smoking cessation goals among college student smokers. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2005;35(7):1362-1370.
- Bang HA, Rhim KH. The status of health education program and the needs of restriction on drinking and smoking. Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education. 2008;9(1): 143-156.
- Donovan JE. Adolescent alcohol initiation: A review of psychosocial risk factors. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2004;35 (6):529.e7-529.e18.
- Dani JA, Harris RA. Nicotine addiction and comorbidity with alcohol abuse and mental illness. Nature Neuroscience. 2005; 8(11):1465-1470. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn1580
- Wetter DW, Kenford SL, Welsch SK, Smith, SS, Fouladi RT, Fiore MC, et al. Prevalence and predictors of transitions in smoking behavior among college students. Health Psychology. 2004;23(2):168-177. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-622.214.171.124
- Choi GY, Lee KH, Choi GY The state of college freshmen's smoking and the application of cessation programs. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2007;18 (2):301-309.
- Kim EY, Hwang SY. Development and evaluation of a small group-based cardiocerebrovascular disease prevention education program for male bus drivers. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2012;42(3):322-332. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.3.322